Options

Reginald D Hunter's Songs of the South BBC2

StrakerStraker Posts: 79,654
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Seems like a decent companion series to Rich Hall's occasional BBC4 sojourns into Americana. Not fond of his comedy particularly (relies too heavily on his exaggerated vocal delivery for laughs, something mercifully absent here) but this seems like a subject he's more than qualified to explore.

Comments

• Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how is it a companion?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how is it a companion?

Americana, on-screen presenter led, both comedians etc....

Is it that important?
  • Options
    SuzeSuze Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really enjoyed it. I particularly liked the final segment on the fiddle and banjo string band music because it really brought home the importance of music as a truly social event where it isn't about a performer and an audience but everyone participating. I come from the east coast of Canada and that's the music culture I grew up in. Gatherings come alive when the guitars come out and we play and sing songs we've been singing all our lives.

I'm looking forward to the remaining episodes.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Enjoyed it......not particularly keen on the country music but the old time fiddle, banjo, bluegrass and hillbilly music is pretty good in small doses........

liked the Chattanooga Choo Choo clip with Dorothy Dandridge......

Reg is a genial enough presenter.........
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Americana, on-screen presenter led, both comedians etc....

Is it that important?

not really a companion is it
  • Options
    kernow19kernow19 Posts: 1,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not really a companion is it

Splitting hairs. As was said, is it really important? :confused:
  • Options
    ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These documentaries with Rich Hall or Reginald D Hunter aren't that amusing for supposed comedians. I'm waiting for Henning Wehn's guide to the Fatherland
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ohglobbits wrote: »
    These documentaries with Rich Hall or Reginald D Hunter aren't that amusing for supposed comedians. I'm waiting for Henning Wehn's guide to the Fatherland

It wasn't meant to be amusing.
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A wonderful programme with a selection of brilliant music. It was great to see a thoughtful programme about the American South and its people.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ohglobbits wrote: »
    That's the problem when comedians turn presenters. You are always expecting an amusing quip and it feels strange when they are being more serious.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Suze wrote: »
    I really enjoyed it. I particularly liked the final segment on the fiddle and banjo string band music because it really brought home the importance of music as a truly social event where it isn't about a performer and an audience but everyone participating. I come from the east coast of Canada and that's the music culture I grew up in. Gatherings come alive when the guitars come out and we play and sing songs we've been singing all our lives.

I'm looking forward to the remaining episodes.
    Something we have lost in the UK. As late as the 50s and early 60s a good old sing song could be had with a piano in a pub. In Ireland you still get this with folk bands playing and the audience participating.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    jcafcw wrote: »
    It wasn't meant to be amusing.
    I would call them wry. Which is a form of humour.
  • Options
    I, CandyI, Candy Posts: 3,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed this. Reginald D Hunter is an engaging, amiable presenter.

I visited the area a few years ago and it was good to see some places I'd been to - Nashville, Gatlinburg and Dollywood.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just caught up with this - very enjoyable fare. The country is so beautiful in the not so deep south. The steering rack on that Caddy could do with a bit of work I think! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another great episode. I think this is a real gem of a program.

There's a playlist here http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02j93lq from the series if you've heard anything you are interested in!
  • Options
    marietsmariets Posts: 1,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I missed it last week, but I thought it was more about his southern roots and racism.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I enjoyed that

He's very respectful to his interviewees !......thank you for talking to me, Sir

I was amazed to see Tony Joe White.......I know him from 'Polk Salad Annie' in the 1960s so I assumed he'd be dead by now.......:o

I was even further amazed to find out that he wrote 'Rainy Night In Georgia' which is a classic
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I enjoyed that

He's very respectful to his interviewees !......thank you for talking to me, Sir

I was amazed to see Tony Joe White.......I know him from 'Polk Salad Annie' in the 1960s so I assumed he'd be dead by now.......:o

I was even further amazed to find out that he wrote 'Rainy Night In Georgia' which is a classic

BIB The song Southern State of Mind by Darius Rucker, probably fits the bill here.

Not sure about the show though, seems to be all over the place or I'm not spotting the thread that we're supposed to be following.
    If I was trying to write out a further research/google list I'd be a loss, not sure what the 'scene' was at the Town that spawned the B52's and REM, clearly a band scene around there but I know very little about it, same with Southern hip hop.

Edit: Watching the James Brown doc that followed it now.
  • Options
    NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,152
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I enjoyed that

Why surprised? You're still alive :D
    I don't remember the name but I do remember Polk Salad Annie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BIB The song Southern State of Mind by Darius Rucker, probably fits the bill here.

Not sure about the show though, seems to be all over the place or I'm not spotting the thread that we're supposed to be following.
    If I was trying to write out a further research/google list I'd be a loss, not sure what the 'scene' was at the Town that spawned the B52's and REM, clearly a band scene around there but I know very little about it, same with Southern hip hop.

Edit: Watching the James Brown doc that followed it now.

I'd think you started a list right there -- Athens Georgia music scene; Atlanta hip hop. Google some of the artists he spoke to.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Suze wrote: »
    I'd think you started a list right there -- Athens Georgia music scene; Atlanta hip hop. Google some of the artists he spoke to.

Bugger me, the program told me very little, all very vague, 2 well known bands seems to be the entire Athens 'scene' from that program, oh and some streaking.
    On that basis why would I bother looking into it.
  • Options
    Bob PaisleyBob Paisley Posts: 3,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would've liked to have seen more on REM - what with me being a huge fan - but it looks like they'd struggled for access. It looks like the Stipe/Mills interview was from a different source and not specifically done for this show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bugger me, the program told me very little, all very vague, 2 well known bands seems to be the entire Athens 'scene' from that program, oh and some streaking.
    On that basis why would I bother looking into it.

That's too bad. I found it interesting. Certainly the program isn't able to go in depth into any of the musical genres - there just isn't the time and I don't think that's the goal. I've enjoyed it as an individual's visit - and in many ways discovery - of his home and its incredibly rich musical heritage. I've found that the bits and pieces have been enough to pique my interest and have me searching for the artists and music types mentioned.

I'm really looking forward to next week's episode. When I was still living in Canada I visited New Orleans yearly for the jazz and blues festival. Even away from the festival music was everywhere. And as an Acadian I'm fascinated by my Cajun cousins!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some poignant 70s archive footage of Memphis in this week's ep, sadly the last in the series.

Remember when series used to last 6 or more eps? The BBC would rather you didn't....
  • Options
    BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    Like this show. Reginald seems like just a nice guy. Makes me want to go see this part of America.