Cheap VoIP hardware tips.

Is this forum section new? Oh well... I've been playing around with VoIP hardware for over half a year now so I figure it'd be nice to let you know some of my tips for cheap hardware.

1. BT HomeHub version 1 (the old one with square corners) aka. Thomson Speedtouch 7G.
Picked one of these up with a hub phone for ~£10 on eBay last christmas. It's only of use if you're either use BT, O2 or Be* as your ISP, but if so it's probably the cheapest useful SIP Router you'll find.
Various setup tips: http://homehubhacks.co.uk/index.php?n=HowTo.Index
Positives: Stylish(ish), decent command line tools, falls back to PSTN on power down, very customisable dialplans, cheap, everything pretty much works well (CLIP, ringing, various functions). Can be flashed with original Thomson firmware for other ISP useage (although this loses VoIP functions).
Negatives: Can't use VoIP on anything other than BT, O2 or Be* yet, no full shell access, you can only register a single VoIP provider. Limited call statistics.

2. O2 Box version 1, or BeBox version 1, aka Thomson Speedtouch 780WL.
If you want one, search for "O2 router" on eBay rather than 780WL as you'll get it much cheaper, mine was also ~£10. Make sure it's not the v2 boxes as they're Speedtouch 567v6s with no voip hardware.
It's functions are much the same as above other than having two sockets for plugging in two phones.

3. Fritz!Box, any version with VoIP functionality, aka. 1&1 router.
These are german made hardware widley distributed in germany via other ISPs (mostly 1und1). For a cheap one, search eBay.de (figure out how to filter things available only to the UK) and also note many people only accept bank transfers there, which cost us brits ~£15 a go to transfer abroad. And make sure you ask for the cheapest shipping method available (DHL do ground shipping which takes around 4 days for €8.60). Anyway, I picked up an FB 5050 for ~£20 shipped a few weeks ago.
Various UK related setup tips: http://www.ip-phone-forum.de/showthread.php?t=168213
Positives: Large functionality; complete call stats, full shell access (although some read/write is protected), custom firmwares available with varying additional functionality, allows 10 different VoIP providers to be registered, ports vary depending on model (wlan, lan, pstn, isdn).
Negatives: Syncs terribly on british ISPs (best to use them as ATAs), requires varying wiring tricks for UK use, probably mostly german interface, no fallback to PSTN during power loss.

4. Linksys SPA-3102.
There's varying linksys/siptura models around, mainly differing in their PSTN abilities. the 3102 is the most fully featured with PSTN call through ability. You should be able to get one for around £30, but note it's an ATA only device.
Positives: Cisco/Linksys are networking gods. Wide configuration ability. Generally "just works" when set up correctly.
Negatives: Lack of shell access, virtually no call stats, no modem, few other networking abilities, only 1 voip registration + a couple other 'no registration needed' accounts.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 444
    Forum Member
    Positives: Stylish(ish), decent command line tools, falls back to PSTN on power down, very customisable dialplans, cheap, everything pretty much works well (CLIP, ringing, various functions). Can be flashed with original Thomson firmware for other ISP useage (although this loses VoIP functions).
    Negatives: Can't use VoIP on anything other than BT, O2 or Be* yet, no full shell access, you can only register a single VoIP provider. Limited call statistics.

nice post.

the positives on broadband talk are the customisation that is available. the selfcare webpages offer lots of options, even down to barring of specific phone numbers.

negatives - yeah, the limited shell is true, but i thought that was locked down to prevent hacking. same with only being able to config for 1 provider. the hub is set up to make is as easy as possible to set up for voip, so stopping manual config for other providers makes sense, but is in BT's interest.

not sure about call stats - but surely, online billing is available for that ?

cheers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    >> the positives on broadband talk are the customisation that
    >> is available.

well I was only really reviewing the hardware above, i'm not too concerned with software packages myself as I just use sipgate for incoming and whatever's cheapest for outgoing.

the homehub's shell can be opened up to the original Thomson CLI shell, although this is still really customised and only allows their own custom commands to be input (it's not like a full bash shell or anything). that said, the Thomson shell allows pretty much anything to be done with the setup, and it's all fully documented in their CLI manuals, you just can't go running custom scripts on the thing or anything. the BT web config pages are pretty useless unless you're actually on BT with BBtalk.

>> not sure about call stats - but surely, online billing is
    >> available for that ?

yeah. but I had a specific need to have them in text form available preferably straight from the router.

thing is, my dad uses CLIP, and BT charge £too.much for it unless you make at least 6 chargeable calls a quarter. so going full voip for me was a bit stupid considering the amount of calls we make (not many, so having to pay for CLIP would outweigh any savings via voip). so, like all true comp sci graduates, I spent six months figuring what router and various scripts would allow me to have the thing take note of how many calls went out over pstn every quarter and switch over to VoIP once 6 were made. as simple as it sounds, it was damn horrendous trying to figure out a decent algorithm to do it. but the Fritz!Box is the easiest way it seems (seeings how Thomson stuff doesn't record pstn stats, and linksys don't give you cli access to change things with a script) and i've pretty much succeeded. bar pre-empting how many calls will be made a month, and then sending the more expensive pre-6-per-quarter calls over voip, i don't think i could get it much better. guess i could always make 6 1p calls at the start of the quarter and forget about it, but that's just too easy :p .
  • TheFirstCutTheFirstCut Posts: 7,306
    Forum Member
    I have a Linksys PAP2 this gives me two lines.

I have cable broadband and for 2½ years had no landline.

Other than the small cost of the ATA I've spent around £10 in the 3½ or so I've had VoIP. Great thing is as it's VoIP all the options such as CLID, CWID, Call Waiting, 3-Way Calling are no cost.
    Forum Member
    so, like all true comp sci graduates, I spent six months figuring what router and various scripts would allow me to have the thing take note of how many calls went out over pstn every quarter and switch over to VoIP once 6 were made.

yes, i can tell you are a proper comp sci type... only the real geeks call it that. i'm one too, but "comp sci" is really for the hardcore anoraks....

i say anorak, cause i can't believe you wasted all that time trying to work stuff out...

you mustn't have gone out much mate :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    eh.. .well... i was gonna say hacker but i didn't really hack much, just made a mess of what should presumably be 4 simple scripts. eg..
    out:connect ^PSTN$ !^(1|9|080) if [ "`date | egrep '^Sat|^Sun'`" != "" ]; then echo -en "# ${DEST} from ${SOURCE} over ${PROVIDER} on ${TIMESTAMP}\n" | egrep '^# 00|^# 0[4-9]' >> /var/tmp/pepsi/callstats; else echo -en "# ${DEST} from ${SOURCE} over ${PROVIDER} on ${TIMESTAMP}\n" >> /var/tmp/pepsi/callstats; fi; > /dev/null 2>&1 &

you know you've messed up when the same thing's written down twice :rolleyes:
    anyway, it would've been done in days if someone could be arsed to sell a router that allowed you to a) access stats and b) change setup via command line. i'm amazed none do (at least not for £30). but a hacked firmware, a few netcat commands, a bit of jiggling data around files to avoid flash overuse and 5 cronjobs later...

PAP2's ok but afaik can't route anything over PSTN, so you'd need two phones presumably if you wanted to make use of a BT line too. i wanted everything after the master socket to appear no different than before so multiple phones weren't an option :(
    Forum Member
    PAP2's ok but afaik can't route anything over PSTN

depends on which voip provider you are connecting too does it not ? many are hooking up to ip exchange to get break out capability.

http://www.btwholesale-engage.com/Forvoipoperators.aspx
  • TheFirstCutTheFirstCut Posts: 7,306
    Forum Member
    I think there may be some confusion with the PAP2:

You can call people on the PSTN (regular landline) and mobiles via your VoIP provider, such as Sipgate, VoIPStunt, VoIPTalk etc etc. However the PAP2 doesn't connect directly to the PSTN and let you make calls direct on the PSTN - EG over a BT landline, Cable landline etc.

The PAP2 was ideal for me, as I dumped my landline, so didn't need to be able to make and receive calls on the PSTN (landline) at the same time as being able to make and receive calls over my VoIP account.

For over 2½ years I had no landline and just had the PAP2 and local phone numbers - people didn't even know I was a VoIP user, I just have a landline again as it was a retentions deal and I didn't have to pay for it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    hi
    You can use a Rylwy adapter to divert your own landline and cell phone to the Internet via skype free.
    Your incomming cell phone and landline calls will be free, while your landline calls you make using your own landline will ge charged at your own landline local rates.
    daniel