Hugh Grant - 'I LIKE my daughter very much'

2»

Comments

• lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jerrica09 wrote: »
    You accuse him of being cold, then wonder why he didn't dump Liz Hurley as soon as she started getting tabloid coverage? Make your mind up!

He doesn't like the press, and as we are only ever going to see him through that filter he will always sound detached and defensive. Imagine if people only got to hear from you through watching you having one on one conversations with someone you dislike and who dislikes you, you wouldn't come across as a warm effusive person either.

He speaks very well of his childs mother even though they only had a fling, and many men would be slinging veiled (if that) insults, he's still close to at least one of his exes, and he has enough of a sense of humour to play the Daniel Cleaver part which his friend Helen Fielding wrote to take the mick out of him. He's probably a very nice person to the people he knows.

Well said. Isn't it odd how someone who has never played media ball as far as his personal life goes is getting slagged off for... well... not playing media ball with his personal life?

The irony, when the majority of threads on here are criticising the endless media-whoring that so many celebs do. Hugh can't win here. The Guardian interview was very honest and very Hugh and I think, reading between the lines, he's thrilled to bits with his new daughter and has a very good and considerate and caring relationship with her mother.
  • Tudor6222Tudor6222 Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You accuse him of being cold, then wonder why he didn't dump Liz Hurley as soon as she started getting tabloid coverage? Make your mind up!

I don't believe I said that about Liz at all. Perhaps you can point out where I did.
    He doesn't like the press, and as we are only ever going to see him through that filter he will always sound detached and defensive. Imagine if people only got to hear from you through watching you having one on one conversations with someone you dislike and who dislikes you, you wouldn't come across as a warm effusive person either.

Yes, I know he doesn't. He's often said he doesn't like acting so why doesn't he get out of the game? It's not as if he needs the money.
    He speaks very well of his childs mother even though they only had a fling, and many men would be slinging veiled (if that) insults, he's still close to at least one of his exes, and he has enough of a sense of humour to play the Daniel Cleaver part which his friend Helen Fielding wrote to take the mick out of him. He's probably a very nice person to the people he knows.

BiB - I should hope he does! It wouldn't make him look good if he started flinging insults around. I don't doubt he's much more intelligent than his roles make him out to be, but I don't think he's really capable of playing much more than the 'bumbling Englishman' in his acting life.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tudor6222 wrote: »
    I don't believe I said that about Liz at all. Perhaps you can point out where I did.

Yes, I know he doesn't. He's often said he doesn't like acting so why doesn't he get out of the game? It's not as if he needs the money.

BiB - I should hope he does! It wouldn't make him look good if he started flinging insults around. I don't doubt he's much more intelligent than his roles make him out to be, but I don't think he's really capable of playing much more than the 'bumbling Englishman' in his acting life.

No, you didn't say it about Liz, you said that Hugh was cold, then you wondered why he didn't get rid of Liz once her tabloid career took off, which would have been rather cold.

You clearly aren't going to change your opinion and I'm not going to change mine so perhaps we should just leave it there.
  • CyanideCindyCyanideCindy Posts: 495
    Forum Member
    I'm no fan of his acting career, but to me he seems a genuine enough bloke.

Did the mother of his child trap him into fatherhood? According to the press, she is a 31 year old 'actress' with a liking for older, wealthy men. Her previous UK boyfriend (aged 55) had 'no idea how she earned a living or what her visa status was'.

Poor Hugh is all I can say. He will be providing a home and lifestyle for at least the next 18 years.
  • Tudor6222Tudor6222 Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, you didn't say it about Liz, you said that Hugh was cold, then you wondered why he didn't get rid of Liz once her tabloid career took off, which would have been rather cold.

Yes I did say I thought he was cold, but I didn't say anything about him 'getting rid of her' or anything like it. This is what I did say.
    So private, he was once with one of the most photographed women of the 90's (Liz). I didn't see him running to hide then, as their relationship was beneficial for them both.

Nothing like 'I wonder why didn't he get rid of her once her tabloid career took off'. :D
    You clearly aren't going to change your opinion and I'm not going to change mine so perhaps we should just leave it there.

Now that I DO agree with. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Did the mother of his child trap him into fatherhood? According to the press, she is a 31 year old 'actress' with a liking for older, wealthy men. Her previous UK boyfriend (aged 55) had 'no idea how she earned a living or what her visa status was'.

Poor Hugh is all I can say. He will be providing a home and lifestyle for at least the next 18 years.

Damn you Cindy:mad: I was done with this thread:D

This is what I meant when I said he could have, if he'd chosen to, said some derogatory things about her. There is a certain element (like the DM faithful, not you Cindy) who would love him to have a go at his kids mother, and would enthusiastically back him up, but he has been a complete gentleman and talked about how smart and funny she is, and a great mother.

That's why I think in essentials he's a nice person.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a bit sad that his comments about his new daughter are being pulled apart. We know the way he talks, he's a big one for understatement. A lot of Brits talk like that and have that kind of sense of humour, it seems it only becomes odd when it's in print.

The DM readers (of all people!) were also pulling him apart for saying he wouldn't set up a trust fund for her! She's clearly going to be well provided for, Auntie Liz won't have her turning up for lunch in Primark for one thing, but he thinks a windfall of cash at 18 could be bad for her. I think that's very wise.

This. It saves me adding anything.
  • beemohbeemoh Posts: 7,073
    Forum Member
    I couldn't imagine him getting his dander up about anything at all.

I think "getting his dander up" is what got him into this mess in the first place. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Shoo in for Premier Inn DOTY 2012 if he's prepared to turn up at the Hanger Lane branch and be photographed with a marge lid trophy. He doesn't have to like his kid, know her name or any of that nonsense, just turning up is good enough

:D^

Well if the MOTY criteria are anything to go by, acknowledging paternity without a DNA test is a damn good start.
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Presumably he was fully complicit in this 'fling'. At 51 he's had enough years to be aware of the consequences.

His comment about 'liking her very much' is merely the sort of bumbling, stuttering response you would expect from Mr Grant.

The 'characters' he plays on screen seems to be pretty much what he is in real life.

For all his protestations about not setting up a trust fund, the child is quite obviously going to be well provided for. However, money isn't everything.
  • DrFlowDemandDrFlowDemand Posts: 2,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like my child too.
  • PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hugh grant is ace i think. he's obviously made mistakes but then we all have. haha i can't believe someone brought up him and liz hurley. they were together YEARS before either one of them got fame. what was he supposed to do/ - dump her when he got famous??

i think you'll find he is one actor who has never courted the press, apart from turning up at his own films' premiers and doing interviews for the films - something actors are contractually obliged to do.

and he never bigs himself or his 'craft' up in interviews, he is very self deprecating.
  • NotaTypoNotaTypo Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this peice from the Graun interview sums up this whole thread:
    Grant is now in an impossible position, wanting to be generous towards the newspaper that exposed the hacking scandal, and willing to help promote his new film, but aware that anything he says will be reworked by the tabloids as proof that he uses the press when it suits him

Which is what the likes of the Mirror and the Daily Fail will do so Angry of Tunbridge Wells can leave comments!
  • LilaethLilaeth Posts: 750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, speaking as someone who heard her dad say he liked her, I was chuffed to bits! I always knew he loved me, but after some difficult years to hear that he liked me as well was very touching.
  • LamaestraLamaestra Posts: 1,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finding him offensive seems a bit extreme, I just think he makes some daft remarks which sometimes can be construed as quite nasty and selfish.

Maybe, Tudor, but that's the way I am and that's it.