Scottie Mcclue

Comments

• littlepepperlittlepepper Posts: 1,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sausages wrote:
    My thoughts...

The show is pretty mediocre, possibly even poor... though I don't think we can throw the blame at Colin.

Scottie and Lesley are not a good combination really. The chemistry is low-to-nil, meaning that there's not much flow or decent banter going on.

To be fair to Scottie, he's dealing with the format pretty well. Moving to a BBC format after a number of years of commercial radio is a big culture shock, and I don't think he's too bad at it. Dare I say it... if it were just him on the show, I think it might be a fair bit better.

What's nice is hear a more relaxed McClue, not needing to attack or question callers, not needing to be controversial to keep a supply of callers, Not having to pad to get to the next commercial break and so on.

I'm not a massive fan of old-style local radio but it can be done very well. I don't think this is the finest example of it, but there is potential.

If it were Scottie and a co-host that he really gelled with, it could be an excellent programme.

I *do* hope that Scottie is enjoying the format; I think it's a nice side of his presentation skills. I would hope he does more of this and less of the stereotypical C2DE phone-ins that he (rightly) gets slated for on here.

Conclusion: Not a bad effort - there's potential but it needs some work matching the right presenters with the right shows.

Well Sausages I agree , after listening for a week and still doing so to the last 10 minutes, that there isn't too much chemistry there.
    I'd thought there was at the start of the week but I was mistaking that for two accomplished presenters who are very quick on their feet speaking to each other.
    The resulting banter was good though.

Like you, I reckon that this new manifestation of Colin/Scottie needs a show more suited to him.
    His years of Phone In experience mean he's good at putting nervous folks at their ease and he's done some grand interviews here.

But this was a week's cover for a show with a recognised format so I think he and Lesley Riddoch carried it off well and any criticism I'd have wouldn't be about his contribution at all...not a bias but an honest opinion...and this thread isn't the place to discuss Ms. Riddoch.

I don't listen to Fred's show any longer as I don't like this format.No harm or disrespect to Fred and I don't listen to Ms. Riddoch as a rule either as I find her abrasive and yes Scottie can be but he's an 'act' but I did listen to a format I don't enjoy and presenter I wouldn't normally entertain and that was because of Scottie.

The big bosses would be listening ,I'm sure, and I hope we hear more of Colin/Scottie on what should be his natural home. :)

Thoughts from the rest o' ye? ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed listening to the show. It was quite clear that Scottie was enjoying himself! This, of course, has a knock on effect on the listener. He's very quick witted and can think on his feet.

It's not his usual format, but entertaining nonetheless! So well done!

I would have said that his co-presenter was less relaxed. Sounded quite curt at times. This is nothing new, though. I've heard her before and seen her on TV. Cutting people off in mid sentence etc. Maybe that's part of her style?

Once again.........well done Scottie! And well done the BBC for having the good sense to use the man's talents. :D
  • wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My final thoughts re this week's BBC Radio Scotland holiday cover .

As everyone has stated it was good to hear Scottie on the radio again locally. His rightful place is on a big Scottish station but probably not with a co-presenter. Much better had he been left to his own devices.

The week's output was a new experience for me. I never imagined so much could be said by so many about so little, just the nature of the programme I suspect but although Scottie performed professionaly it is clear that he needs a far less restrictive format to deliver the type of banter that is his trade.

An interesting experience without doubt but one which I shall pass over now that this 'stint' has ended. Hopefully the powers that be at the BBC will evaluate the opportunities and perhaps we might just get more of McClue allbeit something different from the 'Shock Jock' era of Scot FM and Century FM. I doubt if anyone would disagree that Scottie minus the fast paced calls was a poor listen, he came across as capable, genial and brought a down to earth flavour to a station that has long traded on it's 'pan loaf' image. With a new speech compeditor starting in February in the capital and across Central Scotland on DAB the BBC must surely be taking stock and securing some options that will sustain their market position.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So far that seems three of us...and we are three separate individuals... are saying the same thing more or less after the final Macauley and Co. cover but saying it in differing ways . :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And...it's my age so memory's on the blink...Sausages and Spikey said much the same before the last broadcast.

Are the opposition out for a duck here and if so can I have mine Peking fashion or a l'orange please. ;)

As for the dessert...thanks but not to my taste..I reckon ye've earned the right to scoff as much Humble Pie as ye like.
    Enjoy ;):D ...sorry...couldnae resist.
    Come on and have some debate and fun ...gonnae...please!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    So I can hear faintly in the distance the sound of bunnets being hung up and mitts being taken off as McClue walks out of Queen Margaret Drive today and into the rain, hopefully never to return.

Maybe now the BBC can get back to quality, serious entertainment.

Bye McClue!!!
  • FalkirkJimFalkirkJim Posts: 1,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt if anyone would disagree that Scottie minus the fast paced calls was a poor listen.

Well, yeah, i do think this week's show WAS a poor listen......but im pretty glad it wasnt the usual tired old call in show that we have seen McClue do so many times!

As someone who listened in the early days of Scot FM, it was good.....purely because it was something new to radio in this area, it was funny, and to be honest, quite a good listen......however, as has been the case whereever he went.....it ended up with the same dozen or so callers, night after night, spending ages on the phone kissing Scottie's ass.......incredibly bad, and incredibly dull radio! So im glad that we didnt have to endure another week of that!!....'those days are gone now, and in the past, they must remain' :D

God knows what Mcclue can do next......he either goes back to the call in format, but only spends short periods at each station before it gets tiring.....or tries something different.....but this week didnt impress me, nor did it look like the answer!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Danny Hart wrote:
    So I can hear faintly in the distance the sound of bunnets being hung up and mitts being taken off as McClue walks out of Queen Margaret Drive today and into the rain, hopefully never to return.

Maybe now the BBC can get back to quality, serious entertainment.

Bye McClue!!!

And your reasons for saying this Danny, please!

You came on with a wee prediction of the show and it wasn't like that really as you'll know if you've listened so what was it that you didn't like about Scottie?

I'm assuming you did listen so can give an informed opinion . ;):D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FalkirkJim wrote:

.....but this week didnt impress me, nor did it look like the answer!!

As this was holiday cover for an existing show with its own format I doubt this was meant to be ' the answer' but maybe a wee sea change. :D ...who knows!
    I thought that he did more than well within the confines of the format and I'm sure he and the big bosses at the BBC know more than we do.
    I doubt they looked for holiday cover for Fred and picked his name by chance.
    Patience is the watchword here methinks.
    If I'm wrong then I'll be more disappointed than his detractors but I'm confident we'll be hearing more of him soon ...in some form and in some timeslot on some station. :)
  • CayenneCayenne Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    I found the show highly entertaining.
    Mainly, I must admit, because I'm a great fan of McClue and it was lovely to hear him on the wireless again.
    Certainly don't think it was a duo that we'll hear again, but I don't think that was ever the intention.
    BBC Scotland have a morning show they believe in and wanted something a bit different to hold the audience.

Can't say I find the sort of phone-in quiz they did too exciting but I did detect a great warmth from the callers when they spoke to Scottie.
    Hopefully BBC Scotland will recognise and use the appeal of the man amongst ordinary folk.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As this was holiday cover for an existing show with its own format I doubt this was meant to be ' the answer' but maybe a wee sea change. :D ...who knows!
    I thought that he did more than well within the confines of the format and I'm sure he and the big bosses at the BBC know more than we do.
    I doubt they looked for holiday cover for Fred and picked his name by chance.
    Patience is the watchword here methinks.
    If I'm wrong then I'll be more disappointed than his detractors but I'm confident we'll be hearing more of him soon ...in some form and in some timeslot on some station. :)

I dont disagree with any of that, Peps......my point would be, that it would be a brave station to take on Scottie for a new style show, based on this past week. Yes, we all know what he can do as a late night phone in host, and yes, maybe some station out there would like that format again....but i truly believe that show is out-dated, and would only end up being a short term option again.

If a station would like to offer him a new style show, then would they do so based on what they heard this week? I would have to say it's 50/50. They say there is no such thing as bad publicity, and yep, Scottie has put himself back on the airwaves for a week, and been heard.....but was it good enough, and was enough good stuff heard for another station to fire up a long term deal? I would personally say no....but time will tell, who knows! I think it is more likely we will see the travelling nomad appear on some late night call in show again....not my thing!!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    'I'll be more disappointed than his detractors...

I wouldn't necessarily say detractors. I'd hazard a guess that anyone posting negative views on Scottie is purely down to the die-hard ‘fan(s)’ themselves and specifically the same singular post they have been regurgitating on various media-related forums over the past few years. Anyone who witnessed the debacle on MEDIA UK will know exactly what I’m talking about. It provoked the same reaction there too …most notably the accusation of duplicate accounts. I’m surprised there is no Scotty McClue message board out there in Internet land – one for which like-minded fans can chew the fat without appearing to be shamelessly plugging, provoking (banter – sorry) and generally sycophantic. I mean – why is that? Just curious.
  • Spikey2Spikey2 Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    How can you say this Numpty you clearly have no grasp of the big man's talents
    Maybe you are another one of these duplicate account people? just curious
    as for the other mud slinging impossible creature Falkirkjim I'm glad he has left the debate and will leave us to discuss the talents of this planet striding colossus
    The nations number one favourite phone in host is just biding his time now, there are so many stations desperate to sign him up he is just waiting for the best offer
    Its like when you dangle a juicy worm over a tank of hungry fish they all gather round hoping to get the treat
    there is no end to this mans talents - for a station like scot fm to lose a million listeners when he resigned speaks volumes
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't necessarily say detractors. I'd hazard a guess that anyone posting negative views on Scottie is purely down to the die-hard ‘fan(s)’ themselves and specifically the same singular post they have been regurgitating on various media-related forums over the past few years. Anyone who witnessed the debacle on MEDIA UK will know exactly what I’m talking about. It provoked the same reaction there too …most notably the accusation of duplicate accounts. I’m surprised there is no Scotty McClue message board out there in Internet land – one for which like-minded fans can chew the fat without appearing to be shamelessly plugging, provoking (banter – sorry) and generally sycophantic. I mean – why is that? Just curious.
    Hi Curious Numpty...that sounds as rude as when I reply to Numptyheid. :o
    No I wouldn't necessarily refer to all who don't share my views of Scottie as 'detractors' either but it's an easier way of saying 'those who just don't like him but give no real reasons for that other than the same one of shelf life and didn't give this new show last week a chance by possibly not listening or comment about shows from years ago to which they didn't really listen, they say '...so I wasn't meaning all and it is a neutral word meaning those who would dismiss or take away from and not 'loaded' really...unlike 'sycophant'.
    I'm a fan and admirer...just incase that wasnae clear ;)... but no sycophant.
    As for duplicate accounts... I am aware of lots of new posters and some I think are impersonating the McClue fans.
    That doesn't annoy me at all; just adds to the fun.

What happened on another site years ago is of no relevance here and it's an internet site not the National News so how is it 'plugging' a show or a man other than to the folks on here who share an interest in media and like posting.
    I post here as the site's called 'Scottie McClue' and I always try to give different reasons why I like him and I do respect that others differ.
    Were all the McClue fans to leave there would be no debate at all, just unchallenged views by those who don't like him and that wouldn't be fair would it?...Would it?

Actually I seem to remember answering a similar post ages ago but haven't the time or inclination...big thread...to search for it and that could have saved me some time,eh.
    No...I'm not suggesting it was from you but it prompted a similar response from me.

I don't think I've been impolite to anyone tho' some have been to me but each morning is a new day and 'flamers' will always be about I suppose.

Hope that answers you in polite fashion and there are loads of threads and sites here I don't visit as I'm not interested so if you're not here to say something positive or negative about Scottie, with reasons, but just ask about posters who seem to annoy you then do as I do...don't visit sites where you'll be annoyed :it's only one thread. :)

I am assuming, wild guess :rolleyes: , that someone's rattled someone else's cage here. I'm still trying to decipher that post but as it wasn't addressed to me I'll just go now ...maybe a mod will be passing or are they all in Stornoway :)... and get on with chapping doors and shouting at street corners and writing to all forms of media of which I can think that Scottie was a very good listen last week...or I could do something really out of character and go shopping after listening to Saga until noon and have a relaxing weekend.

Have I covered everything, Numpty?...apologies as it does sound rude ... Mr. Numpty? ;) ...no...ND...that's better. :D
    Have a good weekend.
    Forum Member
    Cayenne wrote:
    I'm actually quite shocked by the turn of events on this thread.
    I've always found listening to Scottie a most jovial experience, but there seems to be incredible resentment towards this fun in some quarters.
    The Falkirk chap who does the dupicate names to post filth has never really said what's motivating his rage.
    Still. I guess the worst that can happen to a radio personality is to be ignored.

For what it's worth, I think the BBC will sign up Scottie. They've plenty of slots on Radio Scotland that need filling and, despite what some say, I believe Scottie's versatile enough to take on a number of different shows.

Couldnt agree more Cayenne but Falkirkjim's pig-headed tirade against the nation's number one broadcaster has recently turned into fond affectionate praise
    His thinly veiled declaration of dislike displays a clear obsession and passion for Scottie
    I for one look forward to many more of his shows on the BBC. They were such a treat for the ears
    His guest Lesley riddoch was clearly enjoying the light-hearted banter,no wonder she has been such a fan for all these years
    There is simply no end to this mans talents
    Someone should really write a book on him
    You and I should join forces and keep the mudslingers at bay
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spikey2 wrote:
    There is simply no end to this mans talents

Indeed......that is why he is in SO much demand :rolleyes:
    Someone should really write a book on him

I look forward to buying that postage-stamp sized edition!
    You and I should join forces and keep the mudslingers at bay

I'm sure the IP addresses would already confirm that! :D

I'm bored now.....gonna leave this for a few days and watch it slide down the list, unless of course, the duplicators keep it propped up with some of their usual inciteful comments, like 'Scottie is great so he mur, i love ra big man'

:D:D:D:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aye it's definitely telly off in here and it's answerphones on and nae visitors either , unless they're going to sit and listen but not interrupt.
    He needs undivided attention as if you are out of earshot the conversation has taken so many twists and turns when you get back ,you're lost.
    I hadn't thought about Radio's 2 or4...interesting.
    I'd prefer him to have a later timeslot than last week as sitting down at that time o' the morning can lead to laziness in the average housewife and although last week's format lends itself to Listen Again, a more interactive show is best heard live so the 'kings o' the jungle' and working mothers can have a wee chance to call.

What did others think of his interview technique btw?
    I've already voiced my opinion.
    It certainly won't have done his onwards and upwards career any harm at all: quite the reverse imho.
  • Brad SpacemanBrad Spaceman Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    Aye it's definitely telly off in here and it's answerphones on and nae visitors either , unless they're going to sit and listen but not interrupt.
    He needs undivided attention as if you are out of earshot the conversation has taken so many twists and turns when you get back ,you're lost.
    I hadn't thought about Radio's 2 or4...interesting.
    I'd prefer him to have a later timeslot than last week as sitting down at that time o' the morning can lead to laziness in the average housewife and although last week's format lends itself to Listen Again, a more interactive show is best heard live so the 'kings o' the jungle' and working mothers can have a wee chance to call.

What did others think of his interview technique btw?
    I've already voiced my opinion.
    It certainly won't have done his onwards and upwards career any harm at all: quite the reverse imho.

I've never been in any doubt about Scottie's ability to conduct interviews of all types.
    He's a highly educated man, but also keeps in touch with popular culture - the soaps, showbiz, music etc.
    Its been easy for his critics to ignore that and label him a one-trick pony.

I sense that perception is changing in the wider population and the BBC stint can only have helped, hasn't it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never been in any doubt about Scottie's ability to conduct interviews of all types.
    He's a highly educated man, but also keeps in touch with popular culture - the soaps, showbiz, music etc.
    Its been easy for his critics to ignore that and label him a one-trick pony.

I sense that perception is changing in the wider population and the BBC stint can only have helped, hasn't it?

I don't doubt that for a moment, Brad.

The way he can elicit the best from folks, possibly ill at ease folks as actors/celebrities etc. often are if unscripted, by changing tactics, effortlessly and gently, when he asks a question but may not be getting the answer we all want to hear, is a good indication of what ye say: no one trick pony is he.

He's been accused of that for a long time but I didn't ever think it the case.

Onwards and Upwards I say :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    Succinct and correct in my opinion, Nick.
    Have you heard any of this week's shows? :)

The word genius springs to mind.

NM
    Forum Member
    Genius is an understatement Nick
    If anyone should know this it is you.
    Scottie's talents exceed everything that has been known in the industry he simply blew everything away when it came to quality programming
    His show on Thursday was the best I think, when Lesley just let her host, Scottie McClue run the show
    It was the funniest day of the week and the most successful
    According to the overnight figures they were more than four times the norm for Macauley and co.
    So it makes sense for them taking up Scottie's offer of a few hours content per week
    Scottie's banter with the blind taxi driver just reflects the sheer scope of sensitivity our hero has
    He made him feel welcome to the show despite highlighting his blindness as a joke
    As for behaviour here on the forum I am glad good sense has prevailed and sensible discussion can continue without the constant sidetracking from the multiple account people who are trying to tarnish the good name of McClue
    As it seems Scottie is going to be given whichever slot he chooses which ones do we think they will be?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    McClue should be given the top spot. He's the main man. He's a good lad and he's doing well for himself.

I taught him everything he knows. You ask him.

NM
  • FK2FK2 Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    Personally, without the welcome comments of that clever Falkirk chap, then this thread has gone right downhill - all that is left are the scottie lovers :D
    Spikey2 wrote:
    He made him feel welcome to the show despite highlighting his blindness as a joke

The man should be run out of town if he is treating blindness as a joke. Im surprised no one has commented on this, or is it because it is McClue that he is allowed to get away with it.
    As for behaviour here on the forum I am glad good sense has prevailed and sensible discussion can continue without the constant sidetracking from the multiple account people who are trying to tarnish the good name of McClue

Don't worry, i wont be spending time here, this thread will soon disappear over the horizon anyway. I cant stay long here anyway, i dont handle the mentally ill very well :D;) :rolleyes:

Toodle pip!
    Forum Member
    Welcome to the debate FK2
    Good to see you registered to show your interest in the big man
    Even all the other phone in hosts are now kneeling to the Godfather of all broadcasters
    He is such a genius I just can't wait until we are treated to his marvellous talents again
    I reckon he has probably now been offered James Whales slot after the Talk Sport management were alerted to the quality broadcasting that was going on on Radio Scotland
    but he deemed it too downmarket for him
    Toodle pip
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FK2 wrote:
    Personally, without the welcome comments of that clever Falkirk chap, then this thread has gone right downhill - all that is left are the scottie lovers :D

The man should be run out of town if he is treating blindness as a joke. Im surprised no one has commented on this, or is it because it is McClue that he is allowed to get away with it.

Don't worry, i wont be spending time here, this thread will soon disappear over the horizon anyway. I cant stay long here anyway, i dont handle the mentally ill very well :D;) :rolleyes:

Toodle pip!

Perhaps, FK2, that's because the real Scottie supporters are blessed and do have our wits about us and can spot a fair...give him that...attempt at impersonating us all, 'imho'...he missed that one out ...oh and added someone in an earlier post who was no supporter at all.
    Good try Spikey but Rory's job's weel safe, sunshine. :D

Without Scottie on the wireless today this was as good a laugh as I could get...didnae come close but ...

...Read the post closely, FK2, and ye'll realise no real Scottie fan would have said that but it's fun for him and if sarcasm is the lowest form of wit then getting it less than 50% correct is...weel... :o

The caller for the quiz was not a blind taxi driver but a taxi driver who had become partially sighted to the point of blindness and Scottie talked about his blindness as the caller mentioned it...I'm wondering now but surely nobody would sink so low :confused: ...and Scottie didn't joke about his blindness.
    Most folks here know about our daughter and because she's phoned Scottie a lot he can joke with her and she jokes about it herself...makes her feel normal , weel she is, as we all joke about things but Spikey's mentioning of that was the giveaway, imho. I knew it would come as it's been mentioned before on more than one occasion and by more than one poster as some sort of 'free for all' remark....sad but true...add that to yer list too.

I'll move on to topic here but entitled to respond off topic as the reference to which ye allude FK2, was a bit personal and shows the depths to which some posters will sink but that's their problem.
    However, back to topic.

The Quiz last week was good as it gave the listener the chance to interact and I do think that's what Scottie's all about...Public Access Radio...but it wasn't giving Scottie enough scope.

As for duplicate accounts...weel...I say no more! :(
    I'm surprised you were hoodwinked, FK2...or is this?...Naw...back to Scottie. :)
    He did a superb job last week and we'll hear him again soon.

Here's another one the trolls omit...as there are a few..."Where's that alert?" ;)
    Naw...it's fun tae spot them as they do add to the thread and confirm that, love him or loathe him, ye cannae ignore him.
This discussion has been closed.