Options

Has Anyone Ever Thought About Becoming a Magistrate?

M30M30 Posts: 936
Forum Member
✭✭
Where I live, there has been a lot of articles in the local press appealing for people to become Magistrates, especially from the borough in which I live, and they seem keen to attract people in their 20s and 30s.

I'm genuinely considering it, and I'm looking into the practicalities of it. Employers are obliged to provide time off so that Magistrates can preside over cases, but the aspect which most concerns me would be the families of the accused seeking to intimidate me etc.

The recent David Askew tragedy has reminded me that action against antisocial behavior needs to be taken.

I would be firm, but fair, but I wouldn't want bricks threw my windows, or for my cat to be crucified on my front door because I sent down a youth who caused the death of a pensioner.

Does anyone have any experience of this or had similar thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    McDancin' FeetMcDancin' Feet Posts: 797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw an ad a while ago asking for magistrates. I was considering it but time went by and I didn't investigate it any further.

It hadn't occurred to me that people would seek me out to do harm if I had to give out punishments.

I also didn't know it was for people in their 20s and 30s.

Wish I'd followed it up now :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It hadn't occurred to me that people would seek me out to do harm if I had to give out punishments.

That's the only reason I've not followed it up to be honest.

The Salford Advertiser, my local newspaper have the "Before the Bench" section, where they name and shame those convicted at the Magistrates court - many of these people live in close proximity to me, I've even seen the names of people on my street.
  • Options
    KBBJKBBJ Posts: 10,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw an ad a while ago asking for magistrates. I was considering it but time went by and I didn't investigate it any further.

I also didn't know it was for people in their 20s and 30s.

Wish I'd followed it up now :(

I think (rusty memory here) that they've hired a 19-year-old before and it went well. Have a look on the website - they're bound to be after more all the time. Most magistrates are on the old side and tend to drop off the perch, hence lots of recruitment. :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    I work a lot in the Youth Courts and the vast majority of magistrates appear to be in their 50s and 60s, live in the posher areas and to be honest a little out of touch with the younger generation so I feel that younger magistrates are a very good idea. As far as I'm aware none of the magistrates I've spoke to have ever had any problems with intimidation by defendents or their families. There have been times when they know a person on the court list (who therefore might know where they live) and in those case they don't sit in that Court.
  • Options
    McDancin' FeetMcDancin' Feet Posts: 797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks, think I'll go back and investigate in detail. :)
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    My mother has been a JP. It's a heck of a lot of work really, or used to be anyway.

It's not all about the courtroom either - there's a lot of paperwork involved with granting licences and whatnot.
  • Options
    KBBJKBBJ Posts: 10,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    My mother has been a JP. It's a heck of a lot of work really, or used to be anyway.

It's not all about the courtroom either - there's a lot of paperwork involved with granting licences and whatnot.

A former colleague of mine is a magistrate - think you have to commit to a few days per year, so your employer has to be OK with that. He hasn't complained about the amount of paperwork, so maybe it's a slightly different set-up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Most people would rather sit on DS and rant and rave about broken Britain, lenient sentencing and the like, instead of doing something about it and becoming a magistrate or whatever.
  • Options
    FieldfareFieldfare Posts: 2,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My granny was a JP and she was HARSH! She worked bloomin hard at it, I suspect that's a big reason why people who have full time jobs are under represented.
  • Options
    FieldfareFieldfare Posts: 2,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm getting really hacked off with the post not showing thing
  • Options
    missmaisiemissmaisie Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    I was very interested in becoming a magistrate and spent a couple of weeks last year attending the magistrate's court on a very regular basis.

I very soon changed my mind.

90% of the cases up were car crimes of one sort or another, and anything that looked remotely interesting was deferred due to additional information needed to be sorted out.

It was tedious in the extreme as it was a non stop series of fines, fines and more fines.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot of it is very routine stuff, as highlighted by the post above, but if you have a genuine interest, go for it.

As for sentencing, you will be restricted by firm guidelines, and wont just be able to become a hanging judge!!!
  • Options
    missmaisiemissmaisie Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    Certainly go for it, but I do recommend you going along for a couple of days at least to check out what goes on in your nearest magistrates court.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot of it is very routine stuff, as highlighted by the post above, but if you have a genuine interest, go for it.

As for sentencing, you will be restricted by firm guidelines, and wont just be able to become a hanging judge!!!

Damn! Here was me thinking I'd be able to send people down for a long stretch "take him down"

I'm sick of pontificating on things from the comfort of DS or the pub, so thought I should do something about it.

I'd much prefer to be a high court judge - but I'm not able to because I'm not a secret transvestite and I don't enjoy S&M
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    M30 wrote: »
    Damn! Here was me thinking I'd be able to send people down for a long stretch "take him down"

I'm sick of pontificating on things from the comfort of DS or the pub, so thought I should do something about it.

I'd much prefer to be a high court judge - but I'm not able to because I'm not a secret transvestite and I don't enjoy S&M

Elizabeth Butler-Sloss is a transvestite :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elizabeth Butler-Sloss is a transvestite :eek:

Her real name is Brian
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    missmaisie wrote: »
    I was very interested in becoming a magistrate and spent a couple of weeks last year attending the magistrate's court on a very regular basis.

I very soon changed my mind.

90% of the cases up were car crimes of one sort or another, and anything that looked remotely interesting was deferred due to additional information needed to be sorted out.

It was tedious in the extreme as it was a non stop series of fines, fines and more fines.
    If it is just 'interesting cases' you want to preside over most of the time, perhaps a career in or about law is not for you if there's no genuine interest.

OP - I've thought of such a career as well especially back in the day where there used to be stipendiary magistrates as well (I think they're county court judges now).
    Even though magistrates nowadays deal with mostly routine stuff, it's a pity that a person couldn't do this as a full/part time paid job as I personally doubt I couldn't guarantee the time for it right now whilst doing my present work and study. That was the only thing that stopped me; maybe when my studies end, I'll consider it again. :)