ITV Player not fit for purpose

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 168
Forum Member
Anyone else regularly have a problem with ITV Player? It repeatedly stalls or jumps back to the start and drives me mad.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 275
    Forum Member
    Ginny wrote: »
    Anyone else regularly have a problem with ITV Player? It repeatedly stalls or jumps back to the start and drives me mad.

Or the fact that every stream looks like some satellite feed from a warzone?
  • FuddFudd Posts: 167,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Strangely on my laptop ITV Player works better than BBC iplayer, which often buffers. On my desktop iplayer works better than ITV Player.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed. It's forever freezing, buffering and pixelated.

Before I use it, I check the TV guide to make sure the show I want to watch is not being repeated on itv2 etc.
  • square_eyessquare_eyes Posts: 7,559
    Forum Member
    It's really good on the iPhone :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    Yeah it's absolutely useless. I dread an ad break coming up because a lot of times it gets lost & starts the whole programme over from scratch. Then I have to endure another load of ads when I try to forward it to part 2.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    Does anyone in the business know if the repeated jumps back to the start is a hidden agenda to get us to watch the ads again, or is the software just rubbish because they can't be bothered to improve it?
  • NightdeamonNightdeamon Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well what computer and browser are you using? also whats your broadband speed like? - http://www.speedtest.net
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    I've never got on with ITV Player, so it's lucky that ITV makes mainly rubbish.

iPlayer works better on my smartphone than on my PC, and that's using the same WiFi connection!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    Well what computer and browser are you using? also whats your broadband speed like? - http://www.speedtest.net

I use modern laptop and vary between Chrome and Firefox browsers. Broadband speed and stability is fine. I have no trouble with HD on BBC iPlayer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    try deleting your internet browser catch, temp internet files, cookies etc. Cheking you have the latest version of flash player can also help (adobe.com)
  • mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    I would say ITV Player isn't particularly high resolution but I have no problems with playback at all. The BBC i-Player is really good on my PC too.

4OD is a bit of a problem for me sometimes though.

I have read ad blocking software can cause problems with ITV Player but whether that would cause playback issues is not something I would know. When I tried Love Film (on my PC) it was very choppy but it is fine through my connected TV app.

I use firefox, a totally stable 10mb broadband connection and have the latest version of flash.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try not running other sites etc when using the player, if you can get the 1500kbps that will look ok but they really need to offer more higher res versions/hd.
  • Aaron_ScotlandAaron_Scotland Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    Ginny wrote: »
    Does anyone in the business know if the repeated jumps back to the start is a hidden agenda to get us to watch the ads again, or is the software just rubbish because they can't be bothered to improve it?

Generally it's the software.

On sky the adverts play over the video, with no way of closing the ads you miss part of the video. :(