"Not Scotland" - What are STV Playing At? (Part 2)

SupportSupport Posts: 70,486
Administrator
seiko456 wrote: »
That is Wrong: Shortland Street was axed completely by ITV and was last shown on 28 August 2003, finishing at episode 2367. Jerry springer was being broadcast 5 years earlier during 1998!

WE dont want STV to go along with ITV. STV has never done this in its 50 year history, the problem was:

A: There dropped to many programmes,
B; Same of the replacements were utter tosh,

This thread is a continuation of: "Not Scotland" - What are STV Playing At?

Comments

• kezokezo Posts: 11,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if ts true STV are to do a spin off show for travel anyone got suggestions??

I have a few

"wish you were here" - oh wait that has already been done!
    "scotland revealed (again)"
    "take the high road" or
    "stv holidays" - oh wait the programme will be basically sponsored by their site :rolleyes:
    "stv travel shop"

any others/suggestions? - this post is just for humour so do not take it seriously for god sake!:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    Arghhh I hate STV! I dont like how they choose not too show certain things like downton abbey thankfully I could watch that on ITV1 london as i have sky but this is not possible for everyone. I would like to see better scottish tv at hogmanay though as the english shows then are also crap so it would be nice is stv could rustle up something good then since hogmanays meant to be our thing.
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    emma92 wrote: »
    Arghhh I hate STV! I dont like how they choose not too show certain things like downton abbey thankfully I could watch that on ITV1 london as i have sky but this is not possible for everyone. I would like to see better scottish tv at hogmanay though as the english shows then are also crap so it would be nice is stv could rustle up something good then since hogmanays meant to be our thing.
    Mind you the one plus side of STV is they are the only UK channel to show the excellent Underbelly. I watch on the STV player has i live in England and think Underbelly is better than a lot of the ITV dramas. Of course it is strange that an Australian drama is only shown on a channel specificly for Scottish viewers.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    Mind you the one plus side of STV is they are the only UK channel to show the excellent Underbelly. I watch on the STV player has i live in England and think Underbelly is better than a lot of the ITV dramas. Of course it is strange that an Australian drama is only shown on a channel specificly for Scottish viewers.:D

Yes, well you are in the minority as Underbelly on Stv under performs the Network opt-out big time.
  • seiko456seiko456 Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, well you are in the minority as Underbelly on Stv under performs the Network opt-out big time.

S1 did not, and give stv better ratings saying that it went out on the Thursday 9pm slot and ANYTHING there put out on the slot out did ITV. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    S1 did not, and give stv better ratings saying that it went out on the Thursday 9pm slot and ANYTHING there put out on the slot out did ITV. :D

I am sure Taggart got repeated twice did it not and correct me if I am wrong but was one of those slots a Thursday? I am more thinking of the second time round?

and that bombed....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank Goodness were are not in the 1960s or 1970s OR this thread would be worse!
    with classics like:

* Why is Crossroads on at 3.45pm? instead of 6.35 on the rest of the itv compaines:
    * Why no Shut that door, instead we get stv drama?
    * Oz soaps are treated so badly and were so far be-hide,
    * Who cares about Andy Cameron.....
    * Why Shindig (Thingummyjig in name) replaces the USA dramas
    * why move Chain letters ( peak episodes) to Sunday afternoon

This list is endless, of stuff stv has done over the years.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank Goodness were are not in the 1960s or 1970s OR this thread would be worse!
    with classics like:

* Why is Crossroads on at 3.45pm? instead of 6.35 on the rest of the itv compaines:
    * Why no Shut that door, instead we get stv drama?
    * Oz soaps are treated so badly and were so far be-hide,
    * Who cares about Andy Cameron.....
    * Why Shindig (Thingummyjig in name) replaces the USA dramas
    * why move Chain letters ( peak episodes) to Sunday afternoon

This list is endless, of stuff stv has done over the years.....

If STV was to go it alone I can not see it thats one thing...to me if STV had actually invested in making new scottish dramas and other decent programmes in place then I might be swayed but to buy programmes on the cheap or even make programmes cheap they have a long way to go

Edit: most of the list you say was under Grampian/Scottish TV - 2 seperate companies at time....but all under as STV now
  • pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kezo wrote: »
    if ts true STV are to do a spin off show for travel anyone got suggestions??

I have a few

"wish you were here" - oh wait that has already been done!
    "scotland revealed (again)"
    "take the high road" or
    "stv holidays" - oh wait the programme will be basically sponsored by their site :rolleyes:
    "stv travel shop"

any others/suggestions? - this post is just for humour so do not take it seriously for god sake!:p

They did do a travel show a few years back with the name of Scottish Passport!!
  • BIDIE-INBIDIE-IN Posts: 1,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you think back - drama wise - we would never have seen

Upstairs Downstairs
    Brideshead Revisisted or
    Morse

all first class dramas. Heaven knows what we would have got instead - Glen Michael's Cavalcade Omnibus edition?

(which I would have loved.......;) )

There is little evidence that STV are ploughing the money they save with cheap (old) buy ins and clip shows into making fresh dramas of their own. Taggart is the only one in their stable and I doubt it will be back.....

There are plenty of excellent Scottish writers whose work would be well received on STV - and in turn could generate money with overseas sales. But I doubt it will ever happen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pedrok wrote: »
    They did do a travel show a few years back with the name of Scottish Passport!!

that programme was out in the 90's not exactly a few years ago maybe it can be revived?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes well ratings aren't necessarily a measurement of quality. Let's face it a lot of ITV dramas are bland watered down rubbish.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes well ratings aren't necessarily a measurement of quality. Let's face it a lot of ITV dramas are bland watered down rubbish.

Well of course we wouldn't know, Peter, as we don't get to see most of them..................;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kezo wrote: »
    that programme was out in the 90's not exactly a few years ago maybe it can be revived?

Scottish passport finished in 2004;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BIDIE-IN wrote: »
    Well of course we wouldn't know, Peter, as we don't get to see most of them..................;)
    You're obviously on the internet so what is wrong with using the ITV player?.;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you want a list??? :p

I can just about tolerate the stopping, starting and freezing of the ITV player for a half hour programme, but NO WAY will I sit down for 2 hours to watch a drama on it.

Better to wait for the dvd release.

And what of older people who do not have - or want - internet access? Many seniors were mad as wet hens at missing 'Downton' in particular.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you want a list??? :p

I can just about tolerate the stopping, starting and freezing of the ITV player for a half hour programme, but NO WAY will I sit down for 2 hours to watch a drama on it.

Better to wait for the dvd release.

And what of older people who do not have - or want - internet access? Many seniors were mad as wet hens at missing 'Downton' in particular.

I have to agree with you regarding the elderly - most I speak to when volunteering have sky and they are not happy with it and thats the channel they go for than ITV1 if they are more able bodied then yes they can change it but if they are disabled they can not do it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scottish passport finished in 2004;)

I wonder if that will be the title - you think?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just realised my thread has been cut off in its prime - with the all important first post no longer visible. :(

It must have got bigger than I thought over the months/years.

Oh well, doubtless I will still be locking horns with STV in the coming months.....unless.......:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just realised my thread has been cut off in its prime - with the all important first post no longer visible. :(

It must have got bigger than I thought over the months/years.

Oh well, doubtless I will still be locking horns with STV in the coming months.....unless.......:rolleyes:

Indeed it was Bidie but lets see if STV can actually do "like for like" but I would not count on it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps it was their plan all along to wait until we were 18 months BEHIND the viewing of ITV1 and then buy the lost dramas and cost price for screening when ITV1 are showing them as a repeat?!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps it was their plan all along to wait until we were 18 months BEHIND the viewing of ITV1 and then buy the lost dramas and cost price for screening when ITV1 are showing them as a repeat?!

according to itv.com for sunday between 4.30-6.30pm its series 4 of "midsomer murders" (well the repeat of the latest series) so I guess your theory does work out :eek:

Suprised at the ad for "doc martin" saying "new to stv":rolleyes: let me guess in 3 months time I will see "Gunrush" on at 7pm :rolleyes: I think STV have not thought through properly how to schedule some "adult" content but guess they want to make the young kids scream lol

mind you i notice ITV1 are repeating "ten mile menu" which was shown last year on ITV1 at 5pm and its now on at 2pm - is this just to please STV on the shows "missed"?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does that mean we might see the new 'Barnaby' (and his amazing Jack Russell) at the odd time of 4.30 - 6.30????

I might get excited in a minute.....

Or are we opting out again......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doc Martin:

5.35 it getting Better? why cant there have put it out on 9pm slot? or 8pm slot? or even 18.30pm slot???
  • GarryMcGarryMc Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doc Martin:

5.35 it getting Better? why cant there have put it out on 9pm slot? or 8pm slot? or even 18.30pm slot???

Where is a 6.30 slot available?
    I would have maybe slotted Doc Martin into the Monday night 9pm slot, as I'm sure most working within the TV industry would have guessed that "Show Me the Funny" would be a big old flop!