12 out of 47 days for 2013.

25.5% .
  • streaky-baconstreaky-bacon Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    VD in today

2 out of 5 this week

12 out of 47 days for 2013.

25.5% .

Two days in Salford in one week must be a record maybe that is why she is off all next week to recover. Tony Livesey sitting in, looks like he may be next in line for a day time slot.
  • radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Today Baroness Derbyshire has featured the subsidised restaurant in the house of lords. Derbyshire interviewed lady prosser who said that she and her visiting son had a starter each a main course each and a bottle of wine for £85. Our intrepid journalist did take the £300 per day lady on why wine is subsidised, is on the menu in a workplace and why her son got a subsidised meal and wine from the tax payers?
    When will this woman earn her corn and challenge people who ring instead of merely emitting "em" after every contribution.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    Switched on to hear the news and those clowns Mayo and Kermode are on talking meaningless rubbish about films that no one has seen or heard of. Kermode is now making mooing sounds. Can't they put this on in the middle of the night. I'm not a big racing fan , but anything but this please . It really is unbearable to listen to Kermode, he just seems to think so much of himself .

Surely if horse racing is on they should cancel this show and not inflict it on us earlier than normal .
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    david1955 wrote: »
    Switched on to hear the news and those clowns Mayo and Kermode are on talking meaningless rubbish about films that no one has seen or heard of. Kermode is now making mooing sounds. Can't they put this on in the middle of the night. I'm not a big racing fan , but anything but this please . It really is unbearable to listen to Kermode, he just seems to think so much of himself .

Surely if horse racing is on they should cancel this show and not inflict it on us earlier than normal .
    I think we may be in a minority here. I don't like the weekly film review programme either but it is popular so we both must be a bad judge of taste!
  • superbike999superbike999 Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    I think we may be in a minority here. I don't like the weekly film review programme either but it is popular so we both must be a bad judge of taste!

That makes us a trio then. I'm not a fan of Mayo, but Kermode is just totally childish.
  • Ross RevengeRoss Revenge Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    That makes us a trio then. I'm not a fan of Mayo, but Kermode is just totally childish.

I enjoy it myself but then I do 'get' their humour. I missed it today as I've switched 5 live off completely while the racing from Chilcot's been on which I'm a lot less keen on.
  • the teddy bearthe teddy bear Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently white smoke can be seen coming out of a chimney on top of the Salford Media Centre every time queen vic manages to make it there.

Cyril, you have made my week with that comment! - Haven't laughed so much in ages!! :D
  • guiserguiser Posts: 1,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Haven't listened at all this week since it became Racing5 Live, but I normally hear the film review and it's Mayo's constant, childish interruptions that wind me up, not Kermode!

Each to his own, I suppose.

:)
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,057
    Forum Member
    guiser wrote: »
    Haven't listened at all this week since it became Racing5 Live, but I normally hear the film review and it's Mayo's constant, childish interruptions that wind me up, not Kermode!

Each to his own, I suppose.

:)

I really enjoy their show and its the only podcast I bother downloading. I do agree that its a bit annoying when Kermode is on an interesting discourse and Mayo interrupts with an inane comment - even more so when Kermode doesn't return to the interesting discourse he was on before being interrupted!

It is the best thing on 5live for me though, ahead of their sports coverage (barring the irritant Colin Murray). Its great that there is a real community of fans that follow the show

Arsenal! :o:D
  • didasdidas Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    david1955 wrote: »

This show is the highlight of the Five Live week. I guess it all depends what you want from your radio. I find rolling news soporific, but outspoken presenters, whether you agree with them or not, at least get the brain engaged and the pulse rate going. Kermode - yes, Bacon - yes, even Robbie Savage - yes. These people may be annoying, but at least they are not boring.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 54,005
    Forum Member
    Apparently Stephen Nolan has got some "explosive" interview with one of the cardinals which might provoke strong reaction...
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member

Kermode is great. Just like Barry Norman, any film they hate I knew I'd love and anything they loved (like art house or sub titled French bollocks) I'd hate.

Saved me time working out what to go and watch in the cinema.
  • StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    Apparently Stephen Nolan has got some "explosive" interview with one of the cardinals which might provoke strong reaction...

11:05 - full interview

some numb-skull cardinal, says pedophilia is an illness, not a criminal activity

I've heard a clip

either un-educated fool, looking for publicity
    or he's sympathetic to pedo's
  • Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    11:05 - full interview

some numb-skull cardinal, says pedophilia is an illness, not a criminal activity

I've heard a clip

either un-educated fool, looking for publicity
    or he's sympathetic to pedo's

As vile as I find his views, he is one of the Cardinals who voted in the conclave this week.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-21810980

Earlier upthread, Five Live was being criticised for being too pro-Catholic. This interview isn't going to do the church any favours.

It's a tough call but here's how I see it. Interview extremists on the air, let the public make up their own mind. The same principle would apply to the likes of the BNP, to give you just one example.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As vile as I find his views, he is one of the Cardinals who voted in the conclave this week.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-21810980

Earlier upthread, Five Live was being criticised for being too pro-Catholic. This interview isn't going to do the church any favours.

It's a tough call but here's how I see it. Interview extremists on the air, let the public make up their own mind. The same principle would apply to the likes of the BNP, to give you just one example.

I agree. Just as long as these extremists, muppets and numpties are challenged by journalists of calibre. If the numpty does not answer the questions (that you or i would want asked) put to him or her the course of action should be to suspend interview. Too many times extremists, monarchists, cardinals and their acolytes are given free air time unchallejnged by weak journalists or presenters. That is why people place Snow Paxman and Humperies are held in so high regard.
  • Stephen_SimpsonStephen_Simpson Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kermode & Mayo are really to me the best thing on 5Live.
  • hatpeghatpeg Posts: 3,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Add me as well.
    I think their show is in the wrong timeslot.
    Stick it on in the evening.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hurray for Jimmy Armfield who at least can string a sentence or two in English.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    Loved the Cheltenham coverage. I only bet on one race all week but still enjoyed all of it. It definitely improves things when the presenter is an expert and not someone who has to ask simple questions all day.

My highlight of Shelagh's Pope coverage was during one of the smoke signals and she had to ask Victoria what colour the smoke was because Vitctoria was watching it on a screen back in the UK and she had a better view! You couldn't make it up.

Despite the hours of Pope coverage before the election I don't remember hearing once that they knew who had finished 2nd last time. Unreal. Surely he was the most obvious choice? All we had was talk from "experts" claiming that the church was going to "modernise" and have a non-white Pope or choose an Italian..........

Then when he was elected everyone says "well of course, he came 2nd last time so was the obvious choice"......... Jesus wept......... So a load of old white guys with glasses chose an old white guy with glasses to lead them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wns_195 wrote: »
    The coverage on 5 Live was pro-Vatican, and I don't think any religion has received that level of coverage during a live event on the station.

Hear, hear. We have the new Archbishop of Canterbury on a prayers's pilgramage. I haven't heard any coverage on 5 Live, just a commercial station.

We all know Fogerty is a devout Catholic and I feel we have just given her a freebie. I know she has worked , whilst there, but the reverance for a church that is not our own is over the top.
  • spannersspanners Posts: 974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Obadia wrote: »
    We all know Fogerty is a devout Catholic

You are joking aren't you? Yes you are.

I know she has worked , whilst there, but the reverance for a church that is not our own is over the top.

Which Church is "Our Own"?
  • p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    Obadia wrote: »
    Hear, hear. We have the new Archbishop of Canterbury on a prayers's pilgramage. I haven't heard any coverage on 5 Live, just a commercial station.

We all know Fogerty is a devout Catholic and I feel we have just given her a freebie. I know she has worked , whilst there, but the reverance for a church that is not our own is over the top.

What in the name of God (all puns intended) are you on about?

You're seriously comparing the leader of the Church of England doing a glorified prayer roadshow to the election of the worldwide leader of a church with hundreds of millions of followers?

The coverage is completely at the right level. This is a church with a significant following in this country, and the policies of the Pope will have a significant impact on worldwide politics, whether we like it or not.

For the record, I don't like that fact, but it's the way things are. Had I been covering the event I would have given it the same reverence, because it is a major event, because the scenes are somewhat remarkable, because it is historic. Believe me, the British media has no problems raising the problems the Catholic Church has had, and will continue to do so. But that's not the time.

I think it's also fair to point out that British broadcasters are perfectly aware that the Catholic Church is not Britain's established church. In Catholic countries the death of the Pope would get the same treatment as the death of the Queen in this country. Here it would be breaking news, but it wouldn't result in mass suspension of programming. And nor should it.
  • superbike999superbike999 Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    p_c_u_k wrote: »
    What in the name of God (all puns intended) are you on about?

snip

I think it's also fair to point out that British broadcasters are perfectly aware that the Catholic Church is not Britain's established church. In Catholic countries the death of the Pope would get the same treatment as the death of the Queen in this country. Here it would be breaking news, but it wouldn't result in mass suspension of programming. And nor should it.

That last sentence is totally untrue, judging by the death of the last Pope. (John Paul?) The Sky News and BBC TV News channels spent days showing the public display of the coffin for virtually all of their news time for about 3 days. I had to resort to watching China TV news on Sky and listening to Talk Sport to get away from it..

As for Fogarty commentating for 2 or 3 days, not to mention the fact that the Beeb has sent Dominic Laurie with her, reporting on smoke coming out of a chimney, that was really interesting wasn't it?

The one thing I would compliment them on, was Nolans' interviews with the South African Cardinal over the last two nights, which showed a complete lack of empathy with the victims, at least in the first interview last night.
  • spannersspanners Posts: 974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The one thing I would compliment them on, was Nolans' interviews with the South African Cardinal over the last two nights, which showed a complete lack of empathy with the victims, at least in the first interview last night.

I tuned in tonight to listen to the Cardinal and I was quite disturbed not necessarily by what he said but by the way the BBC and in particular Nolan has spun it. Napier said that he thought that he was asked onto the show yesterday to comment on the election of pope Francis but when the interview got underway the questions came thick and fast about abuse.
    Aside from what Napier said - (which in my humble view could have some credence i.e. people who have been abused and go on to abuse need far more attention paid to them than just a prison sentence) Why did the BBC pick on Napier out of all the Cardinals in Rome? Why did they not tell him the manner of the interview before hand so that he could at least decide if he wanted to answer any questions that might be put?
    You make the point that he showed a lack of empathy last night - he admitted he did, he was highjacked and unfortunately he signed off tonight stating that his experience with the BBC and Nolan means that he will no longer give radio or television interviews.
    Perhaps Fatman can now explain to us how his highjacking technique aids honest public discussion about sensitive subjects in the future if he alienates those with influence in such matters? Prize pratt.
This discussion has been closed.