Genuine Talent

CharlotteswebCharlottesweb Posts: 18,680
Forum Member
✭✭
So , much has been said about the quality of this years contestants, some have been touted as the best ever, others better than Robbie Williams or Gary Barlow.

And yet last night I watched four 50+ women on Children in Need sing and dance more in time and in tune than the whole lot of this years contestants put together.

And The Nolans were considered a bit of a joke when in their prime, so what does it really say about both the contestants and more importantly the judges comments?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    To be honest, I think there's been very little "genuine talent" on X Factor. Most of the winners and runners up have found themselves in the bottom 2 at some point in the live shows.
    In fact, imo, the only act who grew and got better each show, was never in the bottom 2 and got consistently excellent comments from the judges ..... was Rhydian. Whether you like his style or not, you have to agree, he is a true talent. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Degsey wrote: »
    To be honest, I think there's been very little "genuine talent" on X Factor. Most of the winners and runners up have found themselves in the bottom 2 at some point in the live shows.
    In fact, imo, the only act who grew and got better each show, was never in the bottom 2 and got consistently excellent comments from the judges ..... was Rhydian. Whether you like his style or not, you have to agree, he is a true talent. :D

Erm... none of the winners have ever been in the bottom two have they? :confused:
  • goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    G4 were once in botom 2 and they all can sing and all of them have amazing voices
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    _rebca wrote: »
    Erm... none of the winners have ever been in the bottom two have they? :confused:

Not even one. I think a few runner-ups (runners-up?) have though, JLS being the most obvious example.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,122
    Forum Member
    Degsey wrote: »

none of the winners have been in the bottom 2!
  • Candy StoreCandy Store Posts: 5,125
    Forum Member
    Not even one. I think a few runner-ups (runners-up?) have though, JLS being the most obvious example.

JLS, G4 and Ray Quinn were bottom two and made runner-up.

None of the winners have been bottom two.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _rebca wrote: »

No.

3 of the 5 runners up have been; G4, JLS and Ray
  • tenchgirltenchgirl Posts: 11,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think that this years lot have been that good really, joes about the only one who can really hold a tune but even hes like watching paint dry.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is no standout act this year at all. That's why they are having so much fun with the twins. All you have to do to see just how crap it all is now is to get on YouTube and watch the Pop Idol contestants from 2001/2002, Will, Gareth, Darius etc...to see that the standard of performance is incomparable. They were all so much better than the dross we are served now. You can hear what they are singing, no backing singers, dancers or overwhelming backing tracks to drown out any flaws. They just come on and SING. And sing well.
    Nothing they offer us now will ever match that first series of Pop Idol.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,170
    Forum Member
    I think the overall standard this year is very much lower than previous years. I think the biggest reason for this is because they did not have the individual, no music auditions so the judges never got to see/hear any raw talent.

Lots of people can and do sound better than they really are if they sing a song with a backing track that they have practiced a million times. A classic example is Danyl. He has obviously sang his audition song lots and lots of times maybe at the school or in karaoke and he had perfected it. He is no good singing anything else though and is often heard out of tune and key.

They need to go back to the old way of doing things.