Im rewatching Goodnight Sweetheart

2»

Comments

• Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Norristar wrote: »
    Can you tell me what happened please? I was an avid fan ofthis show but some how never saw the end or read about it! Completely forgot I never knoew how it ended until I see this thread.

From wiki:
    In the final episode, set on VE Day, Gary finds that the time portal has closed after he unexpectedly has to save Clement Attlee from assassination, trapping him in the past permanently, and leaving Ron to explain the truth to Yvonne. He tells him to do this by writing (in 1945) on the wall where he knows that Ron (in the present) is redecorating. Yvonne sees Gary materialise and then disappear as he walks in the shop yard, and at last is privy to the time-travelling secret, but as far as we know, Phoebe never learns of Gary's secret although Gary did tell Phoebe whilst she was in hospital in 1942 that he came from 1996 where he had a wife, but Phoebe was asleep and never heard the confession. The writers in an extra on the DVD say they thought it could have gone to another series, and were prepared to write, but accept that it ended sensibly when it did, committed as they were to an end coinciding with the end of the War.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    Absolute trash programme - why anyone would re watch it 13 years on is beyond me. It was terrible first time round.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolute trash programme - why anyone would re watch it 13 years on is beyond me. It was terrible first time round.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I must disagree with you. Goodnight Sweetheart was in my view a good comedy series that managed to be gentle without being bland, being often quite risque, but without the excesses with which we are familiar into today's sitcoms, and comedy generally. I know a lot of other people share my view in this.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrsSpoon wrote: »
    Yes I agree.:D I love Ron as well. But he is actually quite similar to the character the same actor played in Bread (Shifty)
    Jack Boswell?

Didn't Bryan Murray play Shifty Boswell in Bread?
  • Options
    trawets09trawets09 Posts: 1,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I remember watching this but how did it begin? How was it set up there was a time portal to the 1940's?
  • Options
    trawets09trawets09 Posts: 1,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    I remember watching this but how did it begin? How was it set up there was a time portal to the 1940's?

Gary goes looking for a towerblock (he is a TV repair man) down a lane in the East End of London called "Duckets Passage" and doesn't realise he's went back to 1940, he goes into a pub called The Royal Oak to ask for directions and meets Phoebe and the rest is history....
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will have to go and buy the DVD's, as every time it is repeated, I miss it, and want to see it from the off.:mad:

As for the actresses, I liked ALL of them. I love Dirvla, but they all put different things into their characters.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Thanks! :) I probably forgot how it started :)
    The ending was quite sad IIRC :(
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Thanks! :) I probably forgot how it started :)
    The ending was quite sad IIRC :(

Sad-but morally satisfying. It sent out the message you can't have your cake and eat it forever, as Gary had gotten used to getting away with.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I grow up watching this back in the 90s.
    And love 90s shows.

Guss your not a 90s person.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    I grow up watching this back in the 90s.
    And love 90s shows.

Guss your not a 90s person.

I am a 90's person, but I am also a "comedy" person and that show was about as funny as the worst episode of the piglet files and that takes some beating.
  • Options
    KingLara400KingLara400 Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    I think it was such a shame that both actresses left as I never like change of any actors/actresses in a series and it slughtly spoiled the show.

As far as both phoebes and yvonnes are concerned for me Devla was 100 times better. They were two completely different characters. Devla played it hard and serious while Liz was more nervous and dim. But what I would say was the major difference was that when Gary first walks in and sees Devlas Phoebe he immediatly is attracted (who wouldn't be) where as I think had he gone in and seen Liz it would not have been the same impact. Liz hasn't got the sex appeal of Devla. or phoebe.

as for yvonne I like both but felt the second one was better although both did a very good job in the role.

I loved the others as well. Especially Nicholas Lyndhurst. Although I think it is a great shame he never did any interviews for the show having appeared in nearly every scene of it for 6 series.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    As far as both phoebes and yvonnes are concerned for me Devla was 100 times better. They were two completely different characters. Devla played it hard and serious while Liz was more nervous and dim. But what I would say was the major difference was that when Gary first walks in and sees Devlas Phoebe he immediatly is attracted (who wouldn't be) where as I think had he gone in and seen Liz it would not have been the same impact. Liz hasn't got the sex appeal of Devla. or phoebe.

We always reckon that's why they gave him a baby in the past, so viewers would believe he still wanted to go back when Phoebe stopped being Durvla, and his modern way became loads hotter.
  • Options
    COTTONHEATCOTTONHEAT Posts: 12,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Norristar wrote: »
    Can you tell me what happened please? I was an avid fan ofthis show but some how never saw the end or read about it! Completely forgot I never knoew how it ended until I see this thread.

This is how it ends

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXsRat2f5Nc
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Irritating show. A fantastic idea, but the execution was flat and the comedy was ropey. Despite having the trappings of a sci-fi show, it's remarkable how often they simply relied on such tired cliches such as "Two dinner dates at the same time, so our hero must attend both".
  • Options
    DogmatixDogmatix Posts: 2,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that Goodnight Sweetheart was good for the first few years but went downhill in terms of plots and cringefulness in the last two or three seasons, before rallying for the final.

The episode when Gary is captured in France is especially bad. OK, the reference to 'Allo 'Allo ("Listen very carefully, I shall say zis only wernce") and having Weiss sing the Colonel Bogey song in German were worthy of a laugh, but the rest was pure camp, especially the acting for Weiss. They should have got Philip Madoc to do it. And call the character Schulz. And say he used to be a U-Boat commander but got sunk and captured and looked after by the Home Guard...
  • Options
    DogmatixDogmatix Posts: 2,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a 90's person, but I am also a "comedy" person and that show was about as funny as the worst episode of the piglet files and that takes some beating.

So which comedy shows did you like?
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dogmatix wrote: »
    I think that Goodnight Sweetheart was good for the first few years but went downhill in terms of plots and cringefulness in the last two or three seasons, before rallying for the final.

The episode when Gary is captured in France is especially bad. OK, the reference to 'Allo 'Allo ("Listen very carefully, I shall say zis only wernce") and having Weiss sing the Colonel Bogey song in German were worthy of a laugh, but the rest was pure camp, especially the acting for Weiss. They should have got Philip Madoc to do it. And call the character Schulz. And say he used to be a U-Boat commander but got sunk and captured and looked after by the Home Guard...

I do think they, quite literally, lost the plot during some of the the later episodes.

There are still some good moments but then they started bringing in the likes of 'Noel Coward' and the 'Allo 'Allo-style caricatures.

I hated all the political stuff with Yvonne as well. The two replacement actresses tended to overact their roles.