Options

An ex lying about attending Uni - what would you do?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
Forum Member
Hi everyone

I have discovered that an ex of mine is lying about attending University. He is saying that he went to the same Uni that I went to when we were going out. i know that he did not go there obviously. He is the only ex that I do not trust, his niece told me that he had tried it on with her! He also cheated on me and stole from me. A dreadful person but I was young!

Anyway, any thoughts on whether I should do anything? and if so what can I do? I am uncomfortable that he is misrepresenting himself, presumably to gain some advantage. Should I report it to my alma mater? I have a screenshot of his facebook page stating he studied at the institution.

Mods if this is in the wrong place feel free to move to another place.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,485
    Forum Member
    Tell all his Facebook friends? You could say you're just pointing out a 'mistake' is you want to be subtle about it.
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally, I wouldn't do anything except see it as a bit sad.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't bother doing anything about it, it's not anything thats going to hurt anyone. It may cause you more hassle than it's worth.
  • Options
    Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No - I don't see how it's doing any harm, as long he's not putting it on job applications or anything. And even if he is, it's up to the employer to check his references.

If you do say anything, you'll just end up looking petty & vindictive.
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't do anything, he will get found out one day and he will look like the liar and cheat that you say he is.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxiscot wrote: »
    Hi everyone

I have discovered that an ex of mine is lying about attending University. He is saying that he went to the same Uni that I went to when we were going out. i know that he did not go there obviously. He is the only ex that I do not trust, his niece told me that he had tried it on with her! He also cheated on me and stole from me. A dreadful person but I was young!

Anyway, any thoughts on whether I should do anything? and if so what can I do? I am uncomfortable that he is misrepresenting himself, presumably to gain some advantage. Should I report it to my alma mater? I have a screenshot of his facebook page stating he studied at the institution.

Seriously? Is this true?

Or did he try it on with your niece?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the replies everyone. He has "found God" and become an alternative preacher. I am concerned that he is doing this to gain peoples' respect and he might take advantage of vulnerable people. - after all if you lie about stuff like that, what else do you lie about? I agree it is a bit sad and he is to be pitied.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Seriously? Is this true?

Or did he try it on with your niece?

His niece - and it is all true - I reported him to the police for insurance fraud - but he had left the country. A very, very nasty man.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone

He's obviously doing it to impress, problem is to create such a lie, he's going to at some point have to carry it off, then he'll come unstuck. He clearly has issues relating to self esteem if he's having to pretend to be something that he's not. The fact that he 'tried it on' with his niece shows he looks to be reassured that he's got what it takes to keep the ladies interested ( was he coming on to her whilst with you? )

As an ex I don't really see what he's up to should really have anything to do with you, to be honest, and taking an interest in his Facebook probably isn't something you should concern yourself with.

I don't know what can be gained by reporting him to anybody, it's not as if he's commited a crime, he's just been economical with the truth, I'd just leave him to wander through life in his fantasy world, and just be thankful that he's not around to be lying and deceiving you anymore. That's just me though, you must do what you think is right for you.
  • Options
    fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone

If he is your ex why are you bothered? get on with your life, he is history.!
  • Options
    KimmlerKimmler Posts: 1,906
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are you checking up on your ex via facebook?
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His niece - and it is all true - I reported him to the police for insurance fraud - but he had left the country. A very, very nasty man.

It sounds like you should avoid this man like the plague OP!!

Reporting him (even if you do feel he is taking advantage of people) is just bringing him back into your life..

I am intrigued as to how you found out what this man was up to? Were you checking him out online? :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi everyone

How does it affect you? He is mirepresenting himself, not you. Leave him to it, its not like he is telling lies about you, just about himself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cutecheeks wrote: »
    He's obviously doing it to impress, problem is to create such a lie, he's going to at some point have to carry it off, then he'll come unstuck. He clearly has issues relating to self esteem if he's having to pretend to be something that he's not. The fact that he 'tried it on' with his niece shows he looks to be reassured that he's got what it takes to keep the ladies interested ( was he coming on to her whilst with you? )

As an ex I don't really see what he's up to should really have anything to do with you, to be honest, and taking an interest in his Facebook probably isn't something you should concern yourself with.

I don't know what can be gained by reporting him to anybody, it's not as if he's commited a crime, he's just been economical with the truth, I'd just leave him to wander through life in his fantasy world, and just be thankful that he's not around to be lying and deceiving you anymore. That's just me though, you must do what you think is right for you.

Thanks for that - yes he was with me when he tried it on - she was only 15. Her parents were getting divorced so it was a really bad time for her. When she told me, I told her to tell her mother which she did. I think they disowned him. Why have I looked him up?? Given that we didn't exactly part on good terms and it has been years, I suddenly get a linkedin invitation from him!! Needless to say I felt a bit stalked so looked him on fb as I would hate to ever see him again.

And yes he is to be pitied - he does seem to have a touch of the Mitty about him. I have decided to let karma take its course - he will be found out, thanks to the advice the posters here have given.

Thanks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It sounds like you should avoid this man like the plague OP!!

Reporting him (even if you do feel he is taking advantage of people) is just bringing him back into your life..

I am intrigued as to how you found out what this man was up to? Were you checking him out online? :o

Yeah it does seem a bit weird why anyone would check up on an ex on facebook? Now all that has happened is that the OP has got very upset. But as for reporting him, is the OP serious? Who the hell cares what anyone put on their FB status?
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the replies everyone. He has "found God" and become an alternative preacher. I am concerned that he is doing this to gain peoples' respect and he might take advantage of vulnerable people. - after all if you lie about stuff like that, what else do you lie about? I agree it is a bit sad and he is to be pitied.
    That's often the last refuge of those with an ego that doesn't match their talents! See Dave from Big Brother last year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Kimmler wrote: »
    Yeah it does seem a bit weird why anyone would check up on an ex on facebook? Now all that has happened is that the OP has got very upset. But as for reporting him, is the OP serious? Who the hell cares what anyone put on their FB status?

As I said earlier - we probably cross posted - it was years ago and suddenly I receive an invite from him on Linkedin. TBH I felt stalked given (once I got over the disbelief) what I know of him so looked him up to see where he is. - I would not want to see that man again. When it comes to protecting yourself I am sure most people would do the same.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I said earlier - we probably cross posted - it was years ago and suddenly I receive an invite from him on Linkedin. TBH I felt stalked given (once I got over the disbelief) what I know of him so looked him up to see where he is. - I would not want to see that man again. When it comes to protecting yourself I am sure most people would do the same.

If you want to protect yourself from him then take out a protection order.
  • Options
    robtuk06robtuk06 Posts: 4,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you are still in love with him.

If you were not, you wouldn't care - nor be checking up on him on Facebook.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    Op- if its been 15 years how do you know 100% that he's not gone to uni after you left?

Block him on FB - then he can't look you up and vice versa and get on with your life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    robtuk06 wrote: »
    I think you are still in love with him.

If you were not, you wouldn't care - nor be checking up on him on Facebook.

That is funny! Seriously though he is a very nasty person who contacted me via sending an invite on LinkedIn. I have not seen him for years. Given what I know of him and his behaviour I then looked him as I felt somewhat stalked. Is that so difficult to grasp? I don't know what age you are but when someone contacts you from the past who you know to be a vile person and who is capable of a lot of bad things you would maybe do the same - after all you wouldn't want to run into that person in the street - well at least I wouldn't. We are all different.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is funny! Seriously though he is a very nasty person who contacted me via sending an invite on LinkedIn. I have not seen him for years. Given what I know of him and his behaviour I then looked him as I felt somewhat stalked. Is that so difficult to grasp? I don't know what age you are but when someone contacts you from the past who you know to be a vile person and who is capable of a lot of bad things you would maybe do the same - after all you wouldn't want to run into that person in the street - well at least I wouldn't. We are all different.

Yes we are. And apparently you are a nosey interfering busy-body. I'm glad I'm not. :)
  • Options
    madlh100madlh100 Posts: 9,893
    Forum Member
    The pinnacle of this story: 'EX'

OP forget it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    robtuk06 wrote: »
    Yes we are. And apparently you are a nosey interfering busy-body. I'm glad I'm not. :)

I think thats a bit harsh on the OP - very few of us could honestly say we've not done some FB stalking in our time....:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    madlh100 wrote: »
    The pinnacle of this story: 'EX'

OP forget it.

Totally agree.