MTV Dance

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 391
    Forum Member
    I agree, MTV Dance has had a feeling of neglect to it for a while now. The same few Top 10s and Ultimate Sets are being repeated over and over. Something needs to be done to the channel as I can't see MTV keeping anything that won't make money for them.

I wish the channel had sticked with its night time only format because I too think that the daytime playlist has confused the identity of the channel.

The 'devil' identity hardly gives the channel a serious image either, neither does it look very professional!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 418
    Forum Member
    Incidentally, what e-mail address did you use when you contacted MTV?
    Forum Member
    Incidentally, what e-mail address did you use when you contacted MTV?

I emailed almost every name I could find on the website, I know how reluctant MTV are to reply to emails! A friendly chap at Interactive services finally replied to me. His email address is connell.nick@mtvne.com. Email addresses can be worked out because at MTV they are all in the surname.forename@mtvne.com format!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 418
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    I've suggested this before: close down MTV Dance and use the EPG slot to create MTV Docs (or DoXX ??!!) so that the Newlyweds, Pimp my Ride, Cribs, Sanchez, that frankly embarassingly bad UK Dope Opera etc etc etc are all shifted over and that MTV 440 broadcasts MTV Central Europe.

Not that the MTV execs will listen, they never do.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dance music's dead anyway so hopefully they do send it to the great channel heaven in the sky and put something else in it's place. ;)
    Forum Member
    gazmilne wrote:
    Dance music's dead anyway so hopefully they do send it to the great channel heaven in the sky and put something else in it's place. ;)

Alot of people would disagree with you there. It's partly because MTV has blocked out so much dance music that people think it's dead.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gazmilne wrote:

Its not dead, just gone 'underground' for a while! It will be back with a bang soon, music tastes always go in circles.

Everyone thought Rock was dead in the late 80's but now its all over the album and singles charts.

As I said before, there is still a lot of good dance tunes out there, you just gotta look much harder to find them as many never get a chart release.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gazmilne wrote:
    oh believe me its not dead ;)

Glade 2004/5 anyone? :D:D
  • Peej KertonPeej Kerton Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dance music is not very popular at the moment... so understandably, if it were to close it would just be MTV reacting to the tastes of the nation.

Music goes in cycles. Currently "rnb" is king as well as really poor hip-hop... Eventually, Dance will come back and have its year or two like it did... but they've got to do something original and innovative and not repeat the same tired formula as they have been doing since the Mid 90s of poor euro dance.

For example, there is a vast difference between IDM whose sales haven't wained, and Euro Dance cack like Toca Me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Theres tons of new and innovative stuff out there, its just that the mainstream stations are too scared to play them probably :(
  • Peej KertonPeej Kerton Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Much like all the other genres...

I'm just seeing this "Out of Touch" tune on Top of the Pops... a perfect example of poor pop based dance and why the dance music sector is in trouble. No one is playing anything, not even a sequencer... it relys on dancers... its like watching Pans People all over again

A lot of people also like bands and like consistency... People get quite sick of one hit groups who can't successfully release consistently decent songs.
  • reindeerreindeer Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    It's time that someone devised a 24/7 channel that plays nothing but real dance music. If Rapture is still not coming back then this action must be taken to give MTV Dance a run of their money.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,794
    Forum Member
    Well, it's 6am and MTV Dance is... still MTV Dance - but it's played:

Michael Grey - The Weekend
    Angel City - Do You Know
    Uniting Nations - Out of Touch

Three dance tracks? :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    Angel City - Do You Know
    Uniting Nations - Out of Touch

Isnt dance!!

Dance music isnt dead its just all the UK music channels block it out turn your dish to 19.2e astra1 and pick up the fta mtv2pop and it will be like watching the skys mtvs in 2000 with the amount of dance on the playlists!!

The sky music channels force people to like rap music

oh and the best ever dance chart is coming back on mtv2 pop this june the odc40!!!!!!!!!! and because astra1 is a stronger satellite then astra2 you don't need a meter. But then again people would rather moan how crap mtv dance is then get a real satellite setup at mtv2pop
  • DejaVoodooDejaVoodoo Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    Dance music?? What little fish big fish, cardboard box music?? Not my cup of tea really. Find it rather souless music. Aboy 'throwin out beats' to the same backing track or something?? They should keep the channel around for people who like that kind of music. I would prefer if they sorted out MTV2. Plays way too much w**ky strummy indie stuff. Needs more proper rock and metal. Hell even classic rock. Oh well, Totalrock and PlanetRock for me then!!
    Forum Member
    I think the MTV Xmas Party playlist has returned, minus the Xmas tracks of course, as there has been even more r'n'b/pop than usual this afternoon and also Holly Valance - Naughty Girl and Robbie and Kylie - Kids which would never be played on the 'normal' MTV Dance.
    Forum Member
    They proberly get more viewers with that kind of playlist.
    Forum Member
    sorry wrong thread! :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DejaVoodoo wrote:
    Dance music?? What little fish big fish, cardboard box music?? Not my cup of tea really. Find it rather souless music. Aboy 'throwin out beats' to the same backing track or something?? They should keep the channel around for people who like that kind of music. I would prefer if they sorted out MTV2. Plays way too much w**ky strummy indie stuff. Needs more proper rock and metal. Hell even classic rock. Oh well, Totalrock and PlanetRock for me then!!
    Not all dance music is "big fish little fish cardboard box"!
    Forum Member
    Chris E wrote:
    I think the MTV Xmas Party playlist has returned, minus the Xmas tracks of course, as there has been even more r'n'b/pop than usual this afternoon and also Holly Valance - Naughty Girl and Robbie and Kylie - Kids which would never be played on the 'normal' MTV Dance.

I think the way to find out is to tune in at 9pm tonight to see whether House Party is being shown or not (old skool videos). If not, the MTV 'Xmas' Party playlist has returned.
    Forum Member
    the 'love freaks - shine' was on mtv2pop about 5months ago now its been shown on mtv hits!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Another annoying thing with music in the country there can be such a long delay before its realsed :(
  • steven cardwellsteven cardwell Posts: 2,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dance music is dead, don't make me laugh!

Dance isn't dead, just because 14 year old kids aren't buying 2 track cd singles doesn't mean the genre has gone bust.

Considering a load of dance fans buy white labels, remixes, vinyl, imports etc, all that are not included for top 40 sales, how does one measure how successful the genre is then?

It annoys me when non-dance fans stick their oar into threads like this, if you don't like the genre, then don't come in here, mouthing off, because it's getting boring, i don't go into threads about MTV 2, Base etc, and say "such channel shouldn't be on, because that genre is crap", then why come in here, and mouth off then??

Listening to Andi Durrant on Galaxy last night, and again today from 5pm with Paul Kershaw at 7, i would say that dance is far from dead, judging from what they played!

Someone mentioned about United Nations etc....not being dance music, but it is commercial dance music, and if MTV Dance has to start some where, it has to be with stuff that has videos, and lets face it there has been plenty of commercial dance hits from the last 12 months, so there is no excuse that MTV Dance needs to look towards other genres of music to fill the channel.

MTV Dance would be great, in my opinion, if they played current stuff, mixed with old skool (but not the same 20 videos all the time), and with MTV having stations all over Europe, where is all the hot imported stuff, with just a little bit of effort this channel could be a great showcase for dance acts, perhaps to the point that lesser name acts would make videos and gain exposure, if they thought there was a good chance the channel stuck to what it says on the tin.
    Forum Member
    tom1649 wrote:
    I think the way to find out is to tune in at 9pm tonight to see whether House Party is being shown or not (old skool videos). If not, the MTV 'Xmas' Party playlist has returned.

Well House Party isn't on, just the usual r'n'b mix - Sisqo, 50 Cent then Nelly/Justin.

I'd love to know what is happening with this channel.
    Forum Member
    Looks like the beginning of the end for MTV Dance, unless this situation is temporary. I wish they'd just put it out of its misery or at least rename it MTV Base 2 or something...
    Looks like dance music only from midnight til 6am and when Weekender is on then?