New HEROES minseries

NEW EVENT MINISERIES ‘HEROES REBORN’ COMES TO NBC IN 2015

NBC is bringing back its conquering “Heroes.”

An iconic series that still commands a rabid fan base, “Heroes” will return to the network in 2015 as an event miniseries with original creator and executive producer Tim Kring at the helm, it was announced today by NBC Entertainment President Jennifer Salke.

NBC has ordered 13 episodes for a new stand-alone story arc entitled “Heroes Reborn,” with all details of storylines and characters being kept under wraps.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/02/22/new-event-miniseries-heroes-reborn-comes-to-nbc-in-2015/239277/

Comments

• Thunder LipsThunder Lips Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The buzz over 24's limited return is all I can think inspired this. Crazy decision on the face of it, the show was pretty dire by the end.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed. Season 1 was outstanding but the decline was quite rapid.

Wonder if they'll try to tempt back any of the original cast ?
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This may work better with a new cast, but it became stale in the writing too early on in the show's run. Forget Heroes, there are tons of better shows deserving of another outing. I want Mulder and Scully back on my screen.
  • margarite6666margarite6666 Posts: 2,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed the first series. As I have always said when you do a fantasy series like this it is always better to keep to 13 episodes because you can keep the quality up. It was obvious the writers had lost inspiration in the quest to keep it going as long as possible.
  • CorabalCorabal Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The buzz over 24's limited return is all I can think inspired this. Crazy decision on the face of it, the show was pretty dire by the end.

The last series was ok compared to 2 and 3.
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Heroes returning has suprised me but it could work.I think it will be mainly a new cast but with a few of the originals to have the link to the original show!
  • NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    After reading this this morning I initially thought it was a good idea. Then I remembered Hiro and Ando. I've now changed my mind.

Season 4 was fairly good, especially considering how awful 2 and 3 were.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember in the original having Peter gain a multitude of abilities and become quite an interesting character as he was essentially the antithesis of Sylar. And in arguably the most ridiculous plot twist of the whole thing, he was stripped of them, never to regain them.
  • velixavelixa Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    I loved the show during its original run despite it's downs.

Having said that I would like to see two things:

1. The focus on new characters. I think it will be cool to center around new people whilst old cast members can appear in supporting roles.
    2. The consequences of Claire revealing her powers to the world showing how the world has changed in the past 5 years.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hope Claire is still with her girlfriend (if she appears) and that if they have a Sylar character, they seriously scale back his powers. It was so boring when he was just going round killing people for their powers. Loads of potential was wasted.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Whilst there are shows I'd rather see brought back for a limited run (namely, and solely The X Files) I am still very happy to hear about this.

Heroes was ultimately a victim of the writers strike, I feel. I think the first series is good but is very overrated. The second series had some great ideas but took a long time to get anywhere and was of course cut to just eleven episodes (instead of the intended 22 or so). It meant that Series 3 had to wrap up everything that had been left unresolved, which then also meant it wasn't able to develop its own ideas very well and is very flawed (though I still think people just like moaning as there was a lot to enjoy in Series 3).

Funnily enough, Series 4 which was free of the clutches of the strike turned out to be really rather decent - a great treat for the people who stuck around with it. One of Heroes' biggest problems was its reluctance to get rid of characters and bring the focus around to newer ones... there were several actors who kept in work playing completely different characters to whom they started out as and I think it grew a bit stale around the edges. But the fourth and final series introduced some fantastic new characters and really got things moving again - it wasn't perfect, but then neither again was Series 1.

I can't wait to see what they do. If they give some closure to the open ended fourth series, and focus mainly on newer characters then I'll be very pleased. :)

Gulftastic wrote: »
    if they have a Sylar character, they seriously scale back his powers. It was so boring when he was just going round killing people for their powers. Loads of potential was wasted.
    The last we saw of Sylar he had become a good guy. I'm hoping that that doesn't get undone in any way. The good/bad dance he did for so long became repetitive and I was satisfied with the way it was wrapped up. Series 4 introduced a new main villain and it was all the better for it. :)
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    The funniest comment on this came from the Onion AV Club:
    NBC Exec: (stares grimly at a big red button on his desk with the phrase "Reboot Heroes" stamped onto it)
    F*ck it!
    (presses button)

:D:D

http://www.avclub.com/article/nbc-inexplicably-orders-a-heroes-reboot-201391
  • F1etchF1etch Posts: 4,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good show. Suffered badly due to the writers stike basically destroying season 2/3. Picked up a little by the end but the damage was done and the writing couldn't pick back up.
    Killing Nathan only to bring him back as Sylar, Peter losing all his powers (though to be fair the fact he could have anyones did seem a little Deus Ex and all that being too powerful.) THen having Hiro stuck in Japan being killed by his powers.
    Season 1 was great because of the characters and writing but by the end that had gone to pot for silly stories where Peter falls for some deaf woman who can see music and Claire joins the Circus.
    If they can get the quality of Season 1 then I'm all for it.
  • T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After 24, I had a feeling it wouldn't be long before Heroes was brought back too. Not that it makes it any less surprising.
    I do agree that 24's return and all the buzz around it had a big part to play in NBC's decision. A brave but risky decision, but one that they deserve credit for. Not many networks would be willing to bring back a cancelled show.
    Could this start a revival of more cancelled shows? I certainly can see it happening if 24 and Heroes turn out to be a success. Who knows, Jericho could be the next show in line for a return. I wouldn't count it out.

13 episodes is a good idea. What US TV networks need to understand is, 24-episode seasons are very hard to pull off without hurting the quality of a serialised TV show. If you look at all the best TV shows on at the moment, they're all 13 or 13+ episode seasons. So I'm glad the likes of FOX and NBC are starting to see that.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heroes has some interesting moments, but the bloom was off the rose by the last episode of season 1, and there's no evidence Kring's plotlines have become anymore coherent in the meantime.

If I was NBC I'd be telling him to stay far away from the time travel gimmick, as it pretty much renders the whole thing nonsense instantly.
  • mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    It fell apart when it was mostly set in a carnival... totally different show to the amazing first series
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »
    Heroes has some interesting moments, but the bloom was off the rose by the last episode of season 1, and there's no evidence Kring's plotlines have become anymore coherent in the meantime.

If I was NBC I'd be telling him to stay far away from the time travel gimmick, as it pretty much renders the whole thing nonsense instantly.

Do audiences actually want to watch a new series of "Heroes"? We have no guarantee
    that it will be as good as S1- quite the opposite.
    Not to mention Kring's last series, "Touch", had very poor ratings and split the reviewers. Sounds like NBC are going
    "We need something -anything-besides "The Blacklist" that people might watch"!

Why not a reboot of "Matlock" instead? People would actually watch
    that- look here:

http://ohiomediawatch.wordpress.com/2013/03/03/the-matlock-incident/
  • T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JCR wrote: »

Agreed. It became too convoluted and silly.
    They should focus more on "street-level" superpowers like telekinesis, accelerated healing and mind reading, rather than overly fantastical powers like time travel, teleportation and shapeshifting. Keep the show grounded I say. Otherwise it becomes too OTT - which is what happened with Heroes the first time around.
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really glad heroes is returning and 13 eps is just right. Im sure there was talk saying most networks might be looking towards this in future.
    Forum Member
    NBC are planning to launch a new series about people with superpowers called
    "Believe".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Believe_%28TV_series%29

Seems like they're justing shooting themselves in the foot by putting out two rival
    shows with a very similar theme- it's like launching reboots of "The Twilight
    Zone" and "The Outer Limits" on the same channel.

Every way I look it, this Heroes reboot just comes across as a worse and worse
    idea...:confused:
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    NBC are planning to launch a new series about people with superpowers called
    "Believe".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Believe_%28TV_series%29

Seems like they're justing shooting themselves in the foot by putting out two rival
    shows with a very similar theme- it's like launching reboots of "The Twilight
    Zone" and "The Outer Limits" on the same channel.

Every way I look it, this Heroes reboot just comes across as a worse and worse
    idea...

They could co-exist, I feel. It's a little bit like Breaking Bad and Weeds... both are about drug distribution and illegal activity, but one is a character-led drama whilst the other is another genre altogether. Aside from the 'superpowers' buzzword, this sounds very much the same. Heroes was always quite innovative with the extent of its ensemble cast (to its appraisal and detriment at different times).
    Forum Member
    They could co-exist, I feel. It's a little bit like Breaking Bad and Weeds... both are about drug distribution and illegal activity, but one is a character-led drama whilst the other is another genre altogether. Aside from the 'superpowers' buzzword, this sounds very much the same. Heroes was always quite innovative with the extent of its ensemble cast (to its appraisal and detriment at different times).

Fair point, but BB and Weeds ran on different networks (AMC and Showtime).

I suspect this was the same reason Fox turned down "Torchwood: The New World"
    (because they felt it was too similar to "Fringe", and they didn't want two
    "team investigates weird scientific stuff" shows).
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where's my 13 Episode Miniseries of Firefly?

Miniseries? Ha it would almost double the number of Firefly episodes in existence :D

I did stick with Heroes till the end but to be honest can hardly remember how most of the plotlines turned out.

As someone said above this should probably focus on New Characters with a few cameo's for characters from the original.
  • PalmerwhoPalmerwho Posts: 1,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    T.K. Mazin wrote: »
    Agreed. It became too convoluted and silly.
    They should focus more on "street-level" superpowers like telekinesis, accelerated healing and mind reading, rather than overly fantastical powers like time travel, teleportation and shapeshifting. Keep the show grounded I say. Otherwise it becomes too OTT - which is what happened with Heroes the first time around.

Wasn't that what SyFy tried with Alphas & it didn't draw enough to stay around. Agents of Shield gets criticised by some for not having enough superpowers considering the MCU it is linked to (I like all three for the record).Basically they could go either way and get it wrong!

Having said that Peter was way too powerful in the early seasons and the writers couldn't keep track of what abilities he had absorbed!
    Going with new characters but dropping in old ones seems a good move. You have to wonder whether they will utilise the end of season 4 and its 'Brave New World' chapter as the springboard for the story.

They could have characters fearful when they discover they have abilities and how they will be treated if people find out in the aftermath of Claire reveal. Heroes going missing with scientists trying to replicate abilities by experimenting on them etc.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does this mean they'll finally resolve what happened with Peter's Irish girlfriend who got abandoned in a dead timeline? ;)