Options

the kate bush appreciation thread

Comments

• Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ivy Rose wrote: »
    Just curious, has anyone here tried to join any of the Kate Bush fan forums out there? I've submitted requests for membership to both the Homeground and KateBushForum but the Kate fan community seems very averse to newbies as neither have granted me access without a word as to why. I did send a polite message to mods/admins of both boards asking to be considered but I haven't heard a peep back. It seems like the Kate Bush fan community is something of a closed off one. What a shame, as I'd love to chat with other fans and this thread isn't all that active most of the time.

No i haven't but that sounds strange and quite elitist :o And true this thread can be frustrating as its mostly inactive.
  • Options
    Ivy RoseIvy Rose Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    No i haven't but that sounds strange and quite elitist :o And true this thread can be frustrating as its mostly inactive.

It does seem elitist and I'm starting to not want to post there anyway even if I do get membership.

I find some music forums can be like this though, quite closed off to newbies. Seems strange to me.

I wish this thread were busier but I understand why it's not, since we only get news about Kate once in a blue moon. Still, I'm glad it's here. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find with some Kate fans if they were around in her hey day they look down of those of us who were born after and got into her later which is nonsensical and annoying as we all share a depp love of the woman after all :D

And true it's difficult to keep things ticking voer when she herself only ventures out every other leap year :p
  • Options
    Ivy RoseIvy Rose Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    I find with some Kate fans if they were around in her hey day they look down of those of us who were born after and got into her later

I've noticed too. From reading the Homeground forum, there are a fair few people there who seem to look down their noses at people who discovered her after Aerial and are wary of anyone trying to join the forum from that era because of an influx of fans in 2005. They seem to want to remain a small, closed-off board and while I respect their choice they might as well block new membership altogether and have it as a closed community.

There is a lot of elitism and pettiness in music fandom, I've observed. It's really frustrating and crazy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've noticed too. From reading the Homeground forum, there are a fair few people there who seem to look down their noses at people who discovered her after Aerial and are wary of anyone trying to join the forum from that era because of an influx of fans in 2005. They seem to want to remain a small, closed-off board and while I respect their choice they might as well block new membership altogether and have it as a closed community.

There is a lot of elitism and pettiness in music fandom, I've observed. It's really frustrating and crazy.

I know it's like unfortunately Kate has released 3 of her studio albums in my lifetime and Directors Cut but i have gone out of my way to discover and immerse myself in her music and craft surely that should be rewarded rather than looked down upon :rolleyes:

And i think certain fandoms have that stigma and in some case rightly so :p
  • Options
    digit aldigit al Posts: 1,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    love this simple but very poignant animation:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TNFysecmq0

how beautiful was that?
  • Options
    BadKid95BadKid95 Posts: 7,137
    Forum Member
    My Aunty was saying last night that she went to see her in the late 1970s on her only tour! My Aunty didn't know it had been Kate's only tour
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know today i am very AWOL...a little bit mixed up....so i think i have a pull to blast The Dreaming later...adore the album so much!
  • Options
    Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,172
    Forum Member
    the dreaming - i always wonder what Australians made of this album?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Same but i think the whole Aboriginal aspect eavdes msot people so maybe there isn't a genral awareness of what she was saying ?
  • Options
    crazymonkcrazymonk Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.ukmix.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=98169

Vote for your fave Kate Songs, simply register if you are not a member and read the instructions. 8-)
  • Options
    zoundszounds Posts: 10,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    crazymonk wrote: »
    http://www.ukmix.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=98169

Vote for your fave Kate Songs, simply register if you are not a member and read the instructions. 8-)
    I can 'go to hell' at the moment! I have bookmarked, so will try and get around to it when I have time. Choosing 50 won't be a problem, ordering them will be!!

Hello people, long time me no post, I missed the thread anniversary, over 5 years* old now - wow!

*edit - I was wrong - still 4 months to go until 5 years!

Old Grey Whistle Test Interview 1982

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czHZP2nIwzc
  • Options
    crazymonkcrazymonk Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zounds wrote: »
    I can 'go to hell' at the moment! I have bookmarked, so will try and get around to it when I have time. Choosing 50 won't be a problem, ordering them will be!!

Wow thank you, I wasn't expecting anyone to respond to be honest! :p
  • Options
    south banksouth bank Posts: 3,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone noticed that the pages are in line with Kate's age? 54... soon to be 55 pages, and of course Kate will soon be 55.
    Spooky :eek: :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    south bank wrote: »
    Anyone noticed that the pages are in line with Kate's age? 54... soon to be 55 pages, and of course Kate will soon be 55.

Are we that stared of news already :p
  • Options
    Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    south bank wrote: »

Oh yes, you've reminded me. Her birthday is on Tuesday 30th July.
  • Options
    CreamPuffCreamPuff Posts: 248
    Forum Member

Really can't understand why some fans are like that, how odd?? I have been a big fan since 1978 and love it when younger people start to discover her. It should be celebrated not scorned at:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Happy Birthday Kate !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zounds wrote: »

Hello people, long time me no post, I missed the thread anniversary, over 5 years* old now - wow!

*edit - I was wrong - still 4 months to go until 5 years!

Old Grey Whistle Test Interview 1982

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czHZP2nIwzc

Hey zounds ,
    I don't recall ever having seen that clip before, cheers :D
  • Options
    south banksouth bank Posts: 3,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Happy Birthday Kate Bush CBE :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Without going into details, it's going to be hard listening to Aerial and The Dreaming after today's revelations. I'm sure you all know what I mean.
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. That's what I thought straight away.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Yes. That's what I thought straight away.

I'm glad it isn't just me. It's a very selfish thought, as the first thought should always be for the victims, but it's how I feel. I love those albums, and I cherish Kate. I'm sure I'll have no problem listening to them when I've got over the shock as I still love to listen to Michael Jackson's music, but anything to do with the latest Yewtree news is going to be an unpleasant distraction for a while at least. :(
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Listening to 50WFS today. What a masterpiece.
  • Options
    Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,172
    Forum Member
    Zora wrote: »
    Without going into details, it's going to be hard listening to Aerial and The Dreaming after today's revelations. I'm sure you all know what I mean.

sorry i don't - have i missed something?