Am I Right To Feel Such Guilt Over My Pets Impending Doom...

Comments

• LemonhunnyLemonhunny Posts: 1,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NRG wrote: »
    Am I a fool for feeling this way over an animal? sure after all it's only an animal some might say. I'm sorry but I don't see it that way however. I somehow feel that I'm personally killing her - is it normal to feel guilt like this? :

September and October 2008 saw me have both my cats put to sleep within 4 weeks of each other. Mother first, daughter second.

I always thought people who got upset over their pets dying were fools, yet it broke my heart in the vets surgery first time. I was determined to not do the same thing when I suspected daughter would also have to be put to sleep. I got as far as the receptionist saying "I don't believe it!" as she read the computer screen when I went out to pay, and I lost it for the second time.

We had our cats for 15 years (adopted from a neighbour, and being 20 and 19 yrs old respectively). They were a huge part of our family. We all have hundreds of pics on our computers now.

But I will never have another pet - I'm not going to go through that again.
  • mrsmetropolismrsmetropolis Posts: 1,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NRG, hello again.
    Let me begin with saying I'm so sorry to read that your mother is in hospital and I wish her a good recovery.
    Going back to the subject of your pet dog Iam so pleased to read that you are considering allowing the operation to go ahead. As she is such a young dog it is well worth having the surgery and believe me when I say the loss of an eye should not have the negative impact on the dog that you would always imagine because animals can be very adaptable, bless them!
    It was nice too to see her face on the photo you added.
    Once again, please keep us informed and all the very best to you and yours.
  • NRGNRG Posts: 3,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firstly just to let you know my mum's going to be fine thank God. She's actually one her way home as we speak so that's another weight of my shoulders. Thanks for your kind words folks.:)

Right - don't take this the wrong way, it's not how it appears...

I've been in contact with the guy who initially sold me my dog with the intention of getting another.

Reason being... I'm now looking another dog with the same bloodline as my wee Staffy because she's such a great dog. He's actually got a litter at the moment, with the exact same mum and dad as my wee girl, so same bloodline. He lives locally so I called there tonight to see them, I've provisionally earmarked one, it's got the exact same markings as my dog, it's just a mini version if you like.

Right this is what I want answers too... am I doing the right thing here by buying the little sister of my dog or not? this is the very last litter, there'll no more from this particular mum and dad and there's not a chance my wee girl will ever have a litter in her current condition. I won't get a second chance at another one of these pups, when they're gone, they're gone! that's it.

Now it's not what some might think (he's getting in a new pup so he can get shot of the old) absolutely not!

My reason behind this is heaven forbid the treatment didn't go according to plan, and there was the cancerous growth the vet suspects and further treatment was futile, at least I'd have her little sister.
    In many ways I'd still have a small part of her to remember - another dog will never replace the original, but it might at least ease the loss ever so slightly.

Please don't think for one moment he's getting in new to get rid of old! I can assure you that is absolutely NOT the case.

Good move or not? opinions please.:confused:

By the way any new pup will be fully and properly insured next time - I'm not going through this again.
  • michelle666michelle666 Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really glad everything's ok with your Mum now and that you've decided to hopefully go ahead with the operation on your dog after all.

I really think you should wait and see what the vet discovers after further investigation of your current dog before even considering getting another dog from the same breeder. Then seek advice from your vet, because there's always a chance this could be some kind of hereditary problem that could show up in other dogs from the same Parents. Insurance or not, I'm sure you wouldn't want to go through this again with another dog if it can be avoided

You'll have enough on your plate after the operation anyway, as will your dog during her recovery, without trying to introduce a new bouncy puppy into the family. It's really the last thing she'll need, especially if further treatment will be needed.

Just a point about your concerns over her quality of life after losing an eye.... my previous dog was born blind and it rarely caused him any problems unless we put things in his way. Dog's have such a remarkable ability to adapt and you'll probably be amazed by how well she copes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your latest post sounds SO heartless...

I had to have my cat put down on Hogmanay 2 years ago and it was about 6 months before I could even think about getting another cat. To be contemplating "replacing" your dog before she's even passed is just.... I don't have words for it.

Do whatever you think/feels best... I just don't think I could.
  • QuicheofDeathQuicheofDeath Posts: 2,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firstly just to let you know my mum's going to be fine thank God. She's actually one her way home as we speak so that's another weight of my shoulders. Thanks for your kind words folks.:)

I've been in contact with the guy who initially sold me my dog with the intention of getting another.

Reason being... I'm now looking another dog with the same bloodline as my wee Staffy because she's such a great dog. He's actually got a litter at the moment, with the exact same mum and dad as my wee girl, so same bloodline. He lives locally so I called there tonight to see them, I've provisionally earmarked one, it's got the exact same markings as my dog, it's just a mini version if you like.

Right this is what I want answers too... am I doing the right thing here by buying the little sister of my dog or not? this is the very last litter, there'll no more from this particular mum and dad and there's not a chance my wee girl will ever have a litter in her current condition. I won't get a second chance at another one of these pups, when they're gone, they're gone! that's it.

Now it's not what some might think (he's getting in a new pup so he can get shot of the old) absolutely not!

My reason behind this is heaven forbid the treatment didn't go according to plan, and there was the cancerous growth the vet suspects and further treatment was futile, at least I'd have her little sister.
    In many ways I'd still have a small part of her to remember - another dog will never replace the original, but it might at least ease the loss ever so slightly.

Please don't think for one moment he's getting in new to get rid of old! I can assure you that is absolutely NOT the case.

By the way any new pup will be fully and properly insured next time - I'm not going through this again.

I don't think you should get another dog.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Jesus, I think you've pushed it far enough that nobody will take this thread seriously anymore.
  • orangesmartieorangesmartie Posts: 3,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    instead of paying the breeder for a replacement pup, put the money towards the operation for your current dog.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    instead of paying the breeder for a replacement pup, put the money towards the operation for your current dog.

Or the OP could always sell his rather expensive classic car? But then I stand by my original thoughts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry but I've sat and read this post from start to finish ... and I don't believe a word of the OP ... I don't know what their game is .... but something is amiss.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    big-mother wrote: »
    Your latest post sounds SO heartless...

I had to have my cat put down on Hogmanay 2 years ago and it was about 6 months before I could even think about getting another cat. To be contemplating "replacing" your dog before she's even passed is just.... I don't have words for it.

Do whatever you think/feels best... I just don't think I could.
    Thanks for your reply and the other recent replies. This was the very reaction I was fearing - some would see it as heartless and a 'replacement'.

I can't emphasize enough that it isn't the case.

In effect what you're really saying is, it's not right to consider getting another pet if you currently have one, because if you do that could be construed as being 'heartless'.

Like I mentioned in my other post, the dog I have is such a great pet it'd be a shame to miss out on a bloodline relative.
    I can understand where you're all coming from and I respect and appreciate your comments (except the poster who hoped I'd get shot).

I've made my mind up and my pet is now going for surgery, that's not going to change, and if I have to sell my car I will. I'll consider the other option of a bloodline relative in the coming days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sistine wrote: »
    I'm sorry but I've sat and read this post from start to finish ... and I don't believe a word of the OP ... I don't know what their game is .... but something is amiss.

It's posters like yourself that make me wonder why I posted this thread in the first instance. Thanks for your valuable contribution.

If you've nothing constructive to add would you kindly leave the thread please.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your reply and the other recent replies. This was the very reaction I was fearing - some would see it as heartless and a 'replacement'.

I can't emphasize enough that it isn't the case.

In effect what you're really saying is, it's not right to consider getting another pet if you currently have one, because if you do that could be construed as being 'heartless'.

Like I mentioned in my other post, the dog I have is such a great pet it'd be a shame to miss out on a bloodline relative.
    I can understand where you're all coming from and I respect and appreciate your comments (except the poster who hoped I'd get shot).

I've made my mind up and my pet is now going for surgery, that's not going to change, and if I have to sell my car I will. I'll consider the other option of a bloodline relative in the coming days.

If it's a bloodline relative then surely you run the risk of this happening again? Is it pure blood? Are the hip and eye scores good? .... I think it absolutely insane to think about getting another dog when you apparently have an ill dog that may cost you thousands of pounds, especially from the same blood line.
  • jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    I'm really glad everything's ok with your Mum now and that you've decided to hopefully go ahead with the operation on your dog after all.

I really think you should wait and see what the vet discovers after further investigation of your current dog before even considering getting another dog from the same breeder. Then seek advice from your vet, because there's always a chance this could be some kind of hereditary problem that could show up in other dogs from the same Parents. Insurance or not, I'm sure you wouldn't want to go through this again with another dog if it can be avoided

You'll have enough on your plate after the operation anyway, as will your dog during her recovery, without trying to introduce a new bouncy puppy into the family. It's really the last thing she'll need, especially if further treatment will be needed.

Just a point about your concerns over her quality of life after losing an eye.... my previous dog was born blind and it rarely caused him any problems unless we put things in his way. Dog's have such a remarkable ability to adapt and you'll probably be amazed by how well she copes.

I agree with what you say. We spent most of last year dealing with our two cats, both of whom had severe health problems and long recuperations. It was hard work (gladly done) to nurse them back to health and we shelved our plans to get a dog when we moved to the country.

One cat injured his back and ended up paralysed from the 'waist' down for several months. A couple of operations and months of physiotherapy (even more fun than giving a cat a pill!) took all our time... a new pet would simply have been a distraction from what was important.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [Andy] wrote: »
    Jesus, I think you've pushed it far enough that nobody will take this thread seriously anymore.
    And what exactly do you mean by that?

You're entitled to your opinion - believe it or not, that's your call.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's posters like yourself that make me wonder why I posted this thread in the first instance. Thanks for your valuable contribution.

Which is exactly what you said to another poster earlier in the thread ... you do tend to repeat things you've said .. and repeat the beginnings of posts .... which is what made me feel like something is fishy ... your first post sounded emotional ... since then it's like you've been writing from a script. If I'm wrong I'm sorry ... but If I'm not wrong then I think you are appauling for creating the sympathy you have, especially from people that have lost their loved pets.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well it's all happiness on here tonight. Put me on a downer and I was happy earlier....

wow, how bloody insensitive! We are sorry you bring you down, from your fairytale life:rolleyes:

Oh I just saw what your membership status is,.......thats shocking!!

Im so sorry about your pet. Its an awful situation, You will cope though, its hard, and painful but your ll cope!!

((((hugs)))
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's a bloodline relative then surely you run the risk of this happening again? Is it pure blood? Are the hip and eye scores good? .... I think it absolutely insane to think about getting another dog when you apparently have an ill dog that may cost you thousands of pounds, especially from the same blood line.

The thought did cross my mind about the same thing happening again. It really is the chance you take I suppose.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thought did cross my mind about the same thing happening again. It really is the chance you take I suppose.

It's a chance you don't have to take - IF you have an ill dog then they need your attention - they certainly don't need a puppy jumping around and on them. Puppy's need a hell of a lot attention - and they don't care where they get it from.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which is exactly what you said to another poster earlier in the thread ... you do tend to repeat things you've said .. and repeat the beginnings of posts .... which is what made me feel like something is fishy ... your first post sounded emotional ... since then it's like you've been writing from a script. If I'm wrong I'm sorry ... but If I'm not wrong then I think you are appauling for creating the sympathy you have, especially from people that have lost their loved pets.
    You ought to be ashamed of yourself for coming out with a statement like that! that's an appalling thing to say and quite rightly should be treated with the contempt that it deserves.

Do you want me to post a pic of the dogs eye? will that satisfy your morbid curiosity.:rolleyes:
  • wandering-starwandering-star Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been reading through this thread with interest and i'm sorry but this all comes across as weird to me . Sorry OP if your genuine but something just doesn't sit right.

I mean originally you were talking about the costs of the surgery for your dog and what with the credit crunch and all and now your saying about buying another dog rather than use that cash towards your dogs operation?

Something not quite right here me thinks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

People posted plenty of constructive advice for you, and it was ignored in favour of posts that gave you sympathy. Which is one of the myriad of reasons that this thread does not make sense. Nor does your story, and when things don't make sense people are liable to realise this and question it. Especially when after the questions are first raised more things happen to you and you receive more sympathy, which you lap up, making little mention of the posts that have tried to offer you advice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You ought to be ashamed of yourself for coming out with a statement like that! that's an appalling thing to say and quite rightly should be treated with the contempt that it deserves.

Do you want me to post a pic of the dogs eye? will that satisfy your morbid curiosity.:rolleyes:

Lottie, the girl who lied about finding the kittens also had pictures. They prove nothing.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been reading through this thread with interest and i'm sorry but this all comes across as weird to me . Sorry OP if your genuine but something just doesn't sit right.

I mean originally you were talking about the costs of the surgery for your dog and what with the credit crunch and all and now your saying about buying another dog rather than use that cash towards your dogs operation?

Something not quite right here me thinks.

Indeed, there is something very wrong with all of this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People posted plenty of constructive advice for you, and it was ignored in favour of posts that gave you sympathy. Which is one of the myriad of reasons that this thread does not make sense. Nor does your story, and when things don't make sense people are liable to realise this and question it. Especially when after the questions are first raised more things happen to you and you receive more sympathy, which you lap up, making little mention of the posts that have tried to offer you advice.

It's people like yourself who tend to live online that are cynical of others. Why oh why! would I make it up? what have I got to gain? please tell me?

If you don't believe me, I can't prove otherwise! I'm sorry but I can't.

Take what I say as gospel or don't. I've got nothing to prove nor hide.
This discussion has been closed.