PlayStation Vita TV

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've no interest in a Vita but if I could play Vita games at home or my kids could play PS4 upstairs while I'm watching telly for under £100 then it's a no brainer for me. All those PS plus vita games mean it's also hardly ever going to cost me any more money for games for it either.
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,390
    Forum Member
    I was considering getting one of these but it seems several of the Vita games I actually wanted to play won't be supported because of the Touch-screen features (Uncharted & Wipeout for example).

The thing thats always kept me from considering buying a vita is that my eyesight isn't brilliant & I struggle to see some of the details on the small screen of a handheld system.

I brought a PSP some years back but ended up giving it to my sister as I couldn't see some things on the screen that well. I eventually got the TV-out cable which allowed me to play through some of the PSP games I wanted to play.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was considering getting one of these but it seems several of the Vita games I actually wanted to play won't be supported because of the Touch-screen features (Uncharted & Wipeout for example).

The thing thats always kept me from considering buying a vita is that my eyesight isn't brilliant & I struggle to see some of the details on the small screen of a handheld system.

I brought a PSP some years back but ended up giving it to my sister as I couldn't see some things on the screen that well. I eventually got the TV-out cable which allowed me to play through some of the PSP games I wanted to play.

It wouldn't surprise me if Sony patched their games to work without the touch screen.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I guess depending on how integral those additional touch controls are to the game some game could be patched if this box turns out to be a success. I doubt something like Tearaway would ever work properly on a controller but surely something like Uncharted could have the touch controls removed (Although I haven't actually played that game so its total guess work on my part).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    I guess depending on how integral those additional touch controls are to the game some game could be patched if this box turns out to be a success. I doubt something like Tearaway would ever work properly on a controller but surely something like Uncharted could have the touch controls removed (Although I haven't actually played that game so its total guess work on my part).

Yeah the touch controls are hardly used, just to throw a grenade and navigate up cliffs. All the other Uncharted games manage this without touch screen so it would be easy to patch.

I think third party titles will be hit and miss but games like Uncharted, Wipeout and Killzone really need to be patched for this to be a success.
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    Yeah the touch controls are hardly used, just to throw a grenade and navigate up cliffs. All the other Uncharted games manage this without touch screen so it would be easy to patch.

I think third party titles will be hit and miss but games like Uncharted, Wipeout and Killzone really need to be patched for this to be a success.

i suppose if they wanted and the system took off massively they could release a controller going forward similar to DS4 with a front and back touchpad
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i suppose if they wanted and the system took off massively they could release a controller going forward similar to DS4 with a front and back touchpad

It must support the DS4 too as they are using it in the video with the remote play feature.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It must support the DS4 too as they are using it in the video with the remote play feature.

yeah it works for the PS4 games
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yeah it works for the PS4 games

No reason that it also wont work for vita games in the future too then, just map the touch pad on the controller.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No reason that it also wont work for vita games in the future too then, just map the touch pad on the controller.

yeah i suspect they would have to map an extra button as well as touchpad to mimic rear touch pad
  • jwballjwball Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They will just map the actions to one of the extra shoulder buttons on the DS4.
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Patch a menu option into games like Uncharted to switch control, patching it out of games all together would be counter productive.

Devs shouldn't lose sight of one of the Vitas great features, for what could be an equally great feature.
  • jwballjwball Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Patch a menu option into games like Uncharted to switch control, patching it out of games all together would be counter productive.

Devs shouldn't lose sight of one of the Vitas great features, for what could be an equally great feature.

They won't patch it out, the software will know the limitations of which system it's running on and will switch automatically.
  • Chelsea SaintChelsea Saint Posts: 2,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If anything, the additional flexibility could encourage Vita ownership, leading to a larger install base fuelling more unique games being created.

Concur. Broadening the PSV user base, enhancing the brand and hopefully luring in some absent dev teams. With Remote Play and Gaikai inclusive, VTV has much potential.
  • ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chparmar wrote: »
    And now less developers are going to use the touch screen / rear touch pad!
    By that logic, fewer developers will make 3DS games in stereoscopic 3D now that Nintendo have announced the 2DS.
  • OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    New demo & it's compatible with DS4 controller http://youtu.be/L1hfOveQ-JM
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OMTT wrote: »
    New demo & it's compatible with DS4 controller http://youtu.be/L1hfOveQ-JM

That should help add more Vita games with touch controls to the comparability list.
    Forum Member
    Just had a thought. Would you be able to stream blurays movies with this or will it just be games?
  • ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    Conroy wrote: »
    By that logic, fewer developers will make 3DS games in stereoscopic 3D now that Nintendo have announced the 2DS.

Well maybe. But at least all DS games are compatible with the 3DS and 2DS.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just had a thought. Would you be able to stream blurays movies with this or will it just be games?

The current remote play functions (between PS3 and PSP/Vita) doesn't allow streaming of copyrighted material. I expect the same will apply here.
    Forum Member
    That's it available in Japan now, still no word on a UK release. Don't think there's any point in importing as it won't play games from our region & I don't think it can be used for remote play just now as the PS4 isn't available in Japan until February and the PS4 will probably require a firmware update to allow Vita TV connection.

If you have a Japanese account, downloads from PSN work & UK game cards will work too
  • darkthunder35darkthunder35 Posts: 5,016
    Forum Member
    That's it available in Japan now, still no word on a UK release. Don't think there's any point in importing as it won't play games from our region & I don't think it can be used for remote play just now as the PS4 isn't available in Japan until February and the PS4 will probably require a firmware update to allow Vita TV connection.

If you have a Japanese account, downloads from PSN work & UK game cards will work too

Are Vita games not region free? I thought they were lol
    Forum Member
    Yeah the games are region free but if you try and sign in with a UK/US account, you get an error message. If you want to use it, you need to have a Japanese account and download any new games from the Japanese store. You can use your UK cartridges though, I meant games from our store won't work.
  • darkthunder35darkthunder35 Posts: 5,016
    Forum Member
    Yeah the games are region free but if you try and sign in with a UK/US account, you get an error message. If you want to use it, you need to have a Japanese account and download any new games from the Japanese store. You can use your UK cartridges though, I meant games from our store won't work.

Oh I get ya. Forgot the Vita did it like that:D
  • Banana RamaBanana Rama Posts: 3,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    don't see the point myself, why would you want to play ps4 games on a small handheld in your home, that is what your television is for, bit of a gimmick that people will forget about after a few weeks. then again i hate handheld gaming full stop, there is just no need for it really, i honestly don't know how people find the time to play on a handheld as well as there home consoles while maintaining a busy working week. if you want something to do on the journey into work bring a book, your mind cannot be focused on the working day if you spend the journey into work playing games...