Help any car mechanics around? My car is making a strange noise

Nattie01Nattie01 Posts: 1,652
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I bought a 53 Nissan Almera Tino about six weeks ago.

All was fine for a couple of weeks and then the car started to make a noise when I applied the breaks. I took it back to the dealership and they said the break pads were sticking and they just needed lubricating. All was fine again for a couple of weeks and then it started making the noise again.

Its a knocking noise and only starts when the engine has been running for a while (something expanding with the heat perhaps?). Its starts fairly quiet and then gets progressively louder. As the car slows, the rhythm of the knocking sound slows as well. It doesn't make the sound when I apply the breaks slightly (eg to slow slightly rather than to stop).

Any suggestions what it could be. I feel like I was fobbed off when I took it in last time.

Thanks.

Comments

• FinglongaFinglonga Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you apply the brakes do you get any vibration through the wheel at all?
  • Nattie01Nattie01 Posts: 1,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finglonga wrote: »
    When you apply the brakes do you get any vibration through the wheel at all?

No I don't.
  • fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First thing I would be looking at would be the hub carrier, and in particular the lower carrier pin and sleeve on the rear wheels - the easy way to check this is to jack your car up (you don't have to take the wheel off) and see if the wheel wiggles side to side as you are looking at the car side on, as per the arrows in this photo

If it does move side to side, then chances are it is a worn pin, sleeve and taper roller bearings at a location similar to this

Also worth a check is the bolts that hold the calipers themselves on, and to see that the brake pads are not rattling around or sticking in the caliper guides (although I would have though they would have done this already).

Failing that you are then into looking at anti-roll bar bushes, and steering/suspension bushes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First thing I would be looking at would be the hub carrier, and in particular the lower carrier pin and sleeve on the rear wheels - the easy way to check this is to jack your car up (you don't have to take the wheel off) and see if the wheel wiggles side to side as you are looking at the car side on, as per the arrows in this photo

If it does move side to side, then chances are it is a worn pin, sleeve and taper roller bearings at a location similar to this

Also worth a check is the bolts that hold the calipers themselves on, and to see that the brake pads are not rattling around or sticking in the caliper guides (although I would have though they would have done this already).

Failing that you are then into looking at anti-roll bar bushes, and steering/suspension bushes.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply fat controller. I will certainly look at the things you have suggested.

Would any of them be particularly expensive to rectify? It would have to be a garage job.
  • fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nattie01 wrote: »
    Thanks for the comprehensive reply fat controller. I will certainly look at the things you have suggested.

Would any of them be particularly expensive to rectify? It would have to be a garage job.

I had the rear hub carrier pin/sleeve and bearings done on mine last week for £70 including parts (although I am very friendly with my mechanic) - if the caliper itself is worn (not all that likely on a car that age I wouldn't have thought)then it could be expensive as the parts aren't cheap - anti-roll bar bushes shouldn't be too deadly (usually £10 or less for the parts + an hour or so labour)

If you can, get yourself to a good independent garage, and try and avoid main dealers as they charge the earth. And if you do find a good, honest mechanic, stick with them - good ones get to know you as well as your car, which makes explaining noises etc much easier.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had the rear hub carrier pin/sleeve and bearings done on mine last week for £70 including parts (although I am very friendly with my mechanic) - if the caliper itself is worn (not all that likely on a car that age I wouldn't have thought)then it could be expensive as the parts aren't cheap - anti-roll bar bushes shouldn't be too deadly (usually £10 or less for the parts + an hour or so labour)

If you can, get yourself to a good independent garage, and try and avoid main dealers as they charge the earth. And if you do find a good, honest mechanic, stick with them - good ones get to know you as well as your car, which makes explaining noises etc much easier.

Once again thank you for your advice Fat Controller.