Options

Tommy Sheridan is guilty!

Comments

• Options
    ALANMALANM Posts: 2,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's in the public interest to prosecute a lying politician no matter what the cost...

There simply aren't enough courts in the land to prosecute them all and, even if there were, the taxpayer couldn't afford the cost. Best just to stick to the politicians that nobody in power really likes:p
  • Options
    You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ALANM wrote: »
    There simply aren't enough courts in the land to prosecute them all and, even if there were, the taxpayer couldn't afford the cost. Best just to stick to the politicians that nobody in power really likes:p

There's telling lies, then there's telling lies under oath in court! Lord Archer will tell us that. And he was Thatcher's darling!
  • Options
    ALANMALANM Posts: 2,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You_mo wrote: »
    There's telling lies, then there's telling lies under oath in court! Lord Archer will tell us that. And he was Thatcher's darling!

There's telling lies, then there's telling lies to parliament that take us to war. Tony Blair could tell us about that (but of course he won't).
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh dearie dearie me!:D:D:D

Just wait until the appeal that the NOTW has against paying him £200 000.:D:D:D
  • Options
    divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Could have told you he was guilty even before the trial. The man's a scumbag. I've no idea what he was playing at by pleading not guilty in the first place.
  • Options
    You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    divingbboy wrote: »
    Could have told you he was guilty even before the trial. The man's a scumbag. I've no idea what he was playing at by pleading not guilty in the first place.

And some people say there's no prejustice towards him, eh? I wonder how many of the jurors thought that way? :(
  • Options
    big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who's this Football personality involved in the sex scandal :eek:
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    And some people say there's no prejustice towards him, eh? I wonder how many of the jurors thought that way? :(

The jurors heard the evidence and saw him acting as his own defence from the dock after he sacked his barrister.

And came to the conclusion that he was guilty.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There was overwhelming proof that he had lied, and repeatedly. He was caught utterly red-handed, and his defence was absurd. He has no one to blame but himself. As the trial unfolded and the evidence came out, it beggared belief that he maintained his plea, especially given that they'd already had one trial, so Sheridan knew exactly what the evidence would be for the retrial. The man's an arrogant idiot.
  • Options
    GlengavelGlengavel Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Sheridan has been stitched up by his ex-comrades and that gutter trash rag the News of the World, preferred reading for subhuman morons. Sorry, they get someone to read it to them, since they lack that basic skill themselves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    The jurors heard the evidence and saw him acting as his own defence from the dock after he sacked his barrister.

And came to the conclusion that he was guilty.

Given that I was formerly in 'the trade', I can tell you that it never looks good when you sack your Barrister mid-trial. In 90% of cases, it happens after the Barrister has rendered some advice to the client with which he's not very happy............
  • Options
    taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,956
    Forum Member
    Who's this Football personality involved in the sex scandal :eek:

BBC Scotland have decided not to name him. The fact they the term 'personality' is being used has me wondering if it might be one of their pundits.
  • Options
    VennegoorVennegoor Posts: 14,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ridiculous waste of public money prosecuting this. How much did this all cost so Murdoch could get a stiffy?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    taurus_67 wrote: »
    BBC Scotland have decided not to name him. The fact they the term 'personality' is being used has me wondering if it might be one of their pundits.

None of their pundits have a personality.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vennegoor wrote: »
    Ridiculous waste of public money prosecuting this. How much did this all cost so Murdoch could get a stiffy?

Why shouldn't he have been prosecuted, given that he'd lied repeatedly to falsely secure a payout from News International? They were right to go after him, just as they were right to go after Jeffrey Archer a few years back.
  • Options
    taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,956
    Forum Member
    Given that I was formerly in 'the trade', I can tell you that it never looks good when you sack your Barrister mid-trial. In 90% of cases, it happens after the Barrister has rendered some advice to the client with which he's not very happy............

Is it correct to say perjury is considered a crime against the crown? If so I can imagine Mr Sheridan not being too bothered about having that on his record.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why shouldn't he have been prosecuted, given that he'd lied repeatedly to falsely secure a payout from News International? They were right to go after him, just as they were right to go after Jeffrey Archer a few years back.

Civil cases both, public money exposed one liar to appease another.

Waste of money.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Civil cases both, public money exposed one liar to appease another.

Waste of money.

Sorry, don't see that it makes any difference. When people commit perjury and obtain civil remedies through fraud, it undermines the trust and confidence in the legal process. Anybody who commits such a fraud deserves to be treated very harshly indeed, as a matter of public policy.
  • Options
    duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If it was you or me who had lied in court, we would get a right good kicking (jail time wise).

He's no better or different from anyone else. He got big headed and thought he could do what he damn well please (just like most politicians).

He'll learn the error of that opinion very soon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He got big headed and thought he could do what he damn well please (just like most politicians).

Which, funnily enough, is precisely what Jonathan Aitken says led to his imprisonment for perjury: he was arrogant and thought that he was untouchable. He's a much humbler, nicer man these days.
  • Options
    Tulip19Tulip19 Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ha! at that dig at Murdoch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Found out from a good source who the BBC pundit is. Apparently it's well known up here, so shows you how out of the loop I am.
  • Options
    Tulip19Tulip19 Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Taxi for Tulip!!! :D

;):D
  • Options
    Seal Team SixSeal Team Six Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    I see a lot of bitter left wing extremists who wanted the law thrown out the window just because one of their own is being sent down.

Using the cost of the trial as an excuse :rolleyes:

I hope he faces hell in jail. The left wing extremist and racist.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which, funnily enough, is precisely what Jonathan Aitken says led to his imprisonment for perjury: he was arrogant and thought that he was untouchable. He's a much humbler, nicer man these days.

I suspect however that Tommy will come out of prison still arrogantly defiant.

He's lucky that he's been bailed to return after Christmas and New Year, he could easily have been remanded until his sentencing at the end of January.