Do you think Anne Hathaway is going to win her first Oscar?

ImOnlyWeeImOnlyWee Posts: 11,554
Forum Member
✭✭
Yes or No?
I think she gave the best female performance of 2012. Period.
Absolute perfection as both Selina Kyle and Fantine.
I really hope she wins.

Do you think Anne Hathaway is going to win her first Oscar? 139 votes

Yes
86% 120 votes
No
13% 19 votes

Comments

• timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have barely seen the young woman in anything
    before,but her moving performance as Fantine
    in the film version of 'Les Miserables' blew me
    away. A very fine piece of acting and indeed,of
    singing too!
  • RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I have no doubt she will. I actually prefer Sally Field's performance, but Hathaway was brilliant and it would be quite deserving.

If you haven't seen her in Rachel Getting Married, you should. She's even better than in Les Mis.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    probably but she shouldn’t, she's only in it 3 scenes and i found them rather stupid.

but never underestimate the power of the emperor’s new clothes!
  • ImOnlyWeeImOnlyWee Posts: 11,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I probably think you found it stupid because it was rushed? She was there then she was gone, but still managed to give what I thought was the standout performance of the movie.

^^^ Yeah I've seen Rachel Getting Married, thought she was great in it but I think she stood out more for me in Love and Other Drugs,TDKR and Les Mis.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think, and hope, she will. She is fast becoming the stand out actress of her generation. Not bad for a Disney Princess.
  • Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She probably will - I suspect the only person who could realistically challenge her is Sally Field.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nh3com wrote: »
    probably but she shouldn’t, she's only in it 3 scenes and i found them rather stupid.

You found them rather stupid? In what sense?!
  • LMLM Posts: 63,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    100 per cent yes. Her performance has been my favourite throughout the whole award season. Even a lot better than most of the performances from the Best actresses categor. She's in it for 20 minutes and people seem to be moaning, although that is why she is classed as a supporting, not a lead. Her performance was beautiful, moving and just full of so many different emotions. It is a role very dear to her heart as at the age of 8, she watched her mother (a former stage actress) take on the role. She isn't in it for very long, but that is the point of her character's story and even by the closing credits, her performance still sticks in your mind.

I am for respecting people's opinions but how anyone can class her scenes as "stupid", clearly doesn't understand what Les Miserables is all about, and they clearly don't see such fantastic acting. I bet there idea of fantastic acting is watching Hollyoaks.
  • Sick n SexifiedSick n Sexified Posts: 1,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    YES. I can't get over how amazing she was in Les Mis.

I knew she was something special when I saw Love And Other Drugs, a bad film that I was initially only going to watch for naked Jake Gyllenhaal. But she completely shone in it, there's just something so watch-able about her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. She cut off her hair. Oooooh the sacrifice. A shoe in.
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's the reason she's almost certain to receive the best SUPPORTING actress Oscar
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like she's done more than Judi Dench did to win the same award for Shakespeare in Love.
    Ginger Nut wrote: »
    Yes. She cut off her hair. Oooooh the sacrifice. A shoe in.

Hathaway lost a stupid amount of weight for the part.

And then had to sing for 10 to 12hours per day on set.

There was virtually no ADR on the film. They sang live with live music on set - no pre-recorded tracks all on set and everything sang.

She is interviewed by Simon Mayo in the most recent Radio 5 Film Review show and it is an excellent interview. She refuses to say how she lost the weight because she doesn;t want others to do it.

Also, quite a sweet story that she retold when Mayo asked about any Catwoman film.

http://screencrush.com/anne-hathaway-catwoman-update/

Also, Hugh Jackman was basically given the lead role without having to audition but said he said he would audition as he didn;t want any special treatment.

I'll not go and see the film, not my thing, but from what I have heard they all worked damn hard on the filming.
  • _NiallDEE__NiallDEE_ Posts: 13,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If she doesn't win it I will actually die, most deserved oscar ever imo.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    timebug wrote: »
    I have barely seen the young woman in anything
    before,but her moving performance as Fantine
    in the film version of 'Les Miserables' blew me
    away. A very fine piece of acting and indeed,of
    singing too!
    I've seen her in a couple of films but know about others she's been in.
    You can't say that she's been typecast.
    Goes from a Disney Princess to nude sex scenes - romcoms to dramas - actions to musicals.

Saying that I haven't seen Les Mis or intend to :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr_Eye wrote: »
    She probably will - I suspect the only person who could realistically challenge her is Sally Field.

Yeah I think so too!

Also, anyone who hasn't seen Love and Other Drugs should definitely watch it, some great acting from Anne and Jake Gyllenhaal
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    There is an oscar for wearing tight leather and for snot and tear production while singing? I never knew.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ok, I'm coining Helbore's Law right now. Someone write this one up on Wikipedia. It's kinda like Godwin's Law of Nazi Anaolgies. The gist of it is that whenever you get a thread that involves something that has a popular support - the longer the thread goes on, the more likely someone will end up saying how its "the emperor's new clothes."
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, followed by the usual marriage break-up some time afterwards :p
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,195
    Forum Member
    alfster wrote: »
    Looks like she's done more than Judi Dench did to win the same award for Shakespeare in Love.

Hathaway lost a stupid amount of weight for the part.

And then had to sing for 10 to 12hours per day on set.

There was virtually no ADR on the film. They sang live with live music on set - no pre-recorded tracks all on set and everything sang.

She is interviewed by Simon Mayo in the most recent Radio 5 Film Review show and it is an excellent interview. She refuses to say how she lost the weight because she doesn;t want others to do it.

Also, quite a sweet story that she retold when Mayo asked about any Catwoman film.

http://screencrush.com/anne-hathaway-catwoman-update/

Also, Hugh Jackman was basically given the lead role without having to audition but said he said he would audition as he didn;t want any special treatment.

I'll not go and see the film, not my thing, but from what I have heard they all worked damn hard on the filming.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz. She still doesn't deserve to in.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I do, and I think it'll be a serious injustice if she doesn't win. I haven't seen Lincoln yet, but I don't believe Sally Field could be any more than equally as good as Anne, and she's won two already. Anne is astonishing in Les Mis, steals the movie with only 20 minutes of screentime and gives the best rendition of I Dreamed a Dream I've ever heard, perfect interpretation of the lyrics.

probably but she shouldn’t, she's only in it 3 scenes and i found them rather stupid

She's in it a lot more than Judi Dench was in Shakespeare in Love! Whatever you think of whether she deserves it or not, there's no criterion of a certain amount of screentime for SUPPORTING actress, so that's no reason to say she doesn't deserve it.

SuperAPJ wrote: »
    Yes, followed by the usual marriage break-up some time afterwards :p

Wow, charming :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    Yes, I think she'll win. It was probably on the cards from the moment everyone heard how she cut her hair off for it, and because the singing is "Raw" and "Real". She annoyed me this year with her ladygarden display which I thought was pathetic and I don't really want her to win, but I have no doubt she will. I just hope she wears underwear.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've seen Sally in Lincoln and she gives a rather abysmal performance, Anne has no problem there. Her main rival is Amy Adams.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 353
    Forum Member
    She's a shoe in to win, she's already won the Golden Globe and if she wins the Bafta I reckon she'll win the Oscar also, plus everyone is saying how amazing she is in the film
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzz. She still doesn't deserve to in.

Thank you, Mr Troll.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is an oscar for wearing tight leather and for snot and tear production while singing? I never knew.

Wow. Ok then.

Maybe she done all those things for her roles but she has given two of the best acting performances of her career, nothing to do with how much weight she lost etc. People need to give credit where it's due. She done an amazing job.

I think Anne attracts alot of hate for no reason, I didn't think there was any on DS, was obviously wrong....

AND I can't believe someone mentioned her up-skirt shot, what's that got to do with it, get over it.