Options

Parking

FolkyFolky Posts: 4
Forum Member
Does anyone know the law about people parking their white van outside your property? We have someone who parks right in the middle of our drive and we cannot see much from our windows. :(

Comments

• Options
    simondsUU933wsimondsUU933w Posts: 4,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right in the middle of your drive??
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Folky wrote: »
    Does anyone know the law about people parking their white van outside your property? We have someone who parks right in the middle of our drive and we cannot see much from our windows. :(

We need more details, Shared drive or just yours? Private land or public? Vehicle taxed mot'd etc?
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know the law about people parking their white van outside your property?
    Are there different laws for different colour vans?
  • Options
    Cpl_CarrottCpl_Carrott Posts: 479
    Forum Member
    If it'son a public road, but not blocking your drive, there's not a lot you can do.
  • Options
    Rhythm StickRhythm Stick Posts: 1,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Do some research into it yourself if it's upsetting you.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are there different laws for different colour vans?

The see-through ones get treated more leniently
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

i never understand this sort of response on an advice forum. Btw, asking a question on here, like any other forum IS research.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure the OP will be back after some of these responses !!

Anyhow, more detail required as per #3.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    i never understand this sort of response on an advice forum. Btw, asking a question on here, like any other forum IS research.

:D

i never understand people who takes the opening post like this seriously!
  • Options
    Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wait for it to move then park there yourself
  • Options
    Rick_DavisRick_Davis Posts: 1,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the van is blocking your right of access to your property, for example, the van is parked across your driveway or access to your driveway, you can legally have the van removed, at their expense.

If the van is blocking your view, but not blocking your right of access, you have no grounds.

I had problems with Driving Schools parking up across my driveway and gate and doors banging every few minutes ( not just one school, around 10 schools parked outside my gate) . Despite well placed notices and speaking directly to the driving schools involved I could not convince them to move their practices away from my driveway.

Someone kept on spreading nails and broken glass down on the road where they liked to park up and bang their doors every 20 minutes outside my house. They moved on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rick_Davis wrote: »
    If the van is blocking your right of access to your property, for example, the van is parked across your driveway or access to your driveway, you can legally have the van removed, at their expense.

If the van is blocking your view, but not blocking your right of access, you have no grounds.

I had problems with Driving Schools parking up across my driveway and gate and doors banging every few minutes ( not just one school, around 10 schools parked outside my gate) . Despite well placed notices and speaking directly to the driving schools involved I could not convince them to move their practices away from my driveway.

Someone kept on spreading nails and broken glass down on the road where they liked to park up and bang their doors every 20 minutes outside my house. They moved on.

Don't think so.

The OP hasn't returned so who knows what the situation is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D

i never understand people who takes the opening post like this seriously!

I don't understand what you mean. Opening post like what?

Are you suggesting that there has to be longevity before being taken seriously? Your statement belies your own tenure.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How do you know she hasn't? Also, why do you say "if it's upsetting you" when it merely sounded like a calm enquiry?

This thread may be just one part of her research. Perhaps she's now acquainted herself with the law.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand what you mean. Opening post like what?

Are you suggesting that there has to be longevity before being taken seriously? Your statement belies your own tenure.

I'm not suggesting that at all.:confused:

I'm suggesting that the opening post of "Does anyone know the law about people parking their white van outside your property? We have someone who parks right in the middle of our drive and we cannot see much from our windows. :( "

Can see much outside their windows? White Van cliche? Having read several threads on advice now, and it's clear that a significant amount are on the wind up. Since the opening post has a paucity of information and it seems to completely overlook what many would consider the overriding issue - blocking access to your own drive I can take it seriously. Maybe I'm just a lot more cynical than you.

See nothing about a first time poster at all.:D Perhaps you should be less highly strung.
  • Options
    Maria_RobinsonMaria_Robinson Posts: 3,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you have a dropped kerb and he is parked over that then you can get the Council to enforce it and he will get a parking ticket for £60. I would put a note on his windscreen asking not to park there and if he does it again, then get the Council involved.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    How do you know she hasn't? Also, why do you say "if it's upsetting you" when it merely sounded like a calm enquiry?

This thread may be just one part of her research. Perhaps she's now acquainted herself with the law.

cool beans.

oh doesn't an unhappy face, mean you are unhappy about the subject? or just unhappy in general?
  • Options
    Lordy LordyLordy Lordy Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Great first post.......NOT!

You are going to fit in well here!^_^
  • Options
    Diamond HeadDiamond Head Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    solarflare wrote: »
    The see-through ones get treated more leniently

What about pink vans?
    Or are we too busy laughing to worry about where they park (badly too, I presume)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not suggesting that at all.:confused:

I'm suggesting that the opening post of "Does anyone know the law about people parking their white van outside your property? We have someone who parks right in the middle of our drive and we cannot see much from our windows. :( "

Can see much outside their windows? White Van cliche? Having read several threads on advice now, and it's clear that a significant amount are on the wind up. Since the opening post has a paucity of information and it seems to completely overlook what many would consider the overriding issue - blocking access to your own drive I can take it seriously. Maybe I'm just a lot more cynical than you.

See nothing about a first time poster at all.:D Perhaps you should be less highly strung.

Highly strung...interesting. I suppose that you posting a 'clever' response in your opening gambit rather than just offer the requested advice makes you all mellow yellow?!?
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about pink vans?
    Or are we too busy laughing to worry about where they park (badly too, I presume)
    Give us your best women drivers joke!
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=vupgBykQnko
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Highly strung...interesting. I suppose that you posting a 'clever' response in your opening gambit rather than just offer the requested advice makes you all mellow yellow?!?

It's not me making a scene.:D
  • Options
    FolkyFolky Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    So no one on here knows the law about white or any other coloured van parking in front of their property. Looks like your all comedians. Would like to know how you would feel if said van was always parked outside your property and not outside the owners property.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So no one on here knows the law about white or any other coloured van parking in front of their property. Looks like your all comedians. Would like to know how you would feel if said van was always parked outside your property and not outside the owners property.

If it was polka dot, it would add a certain ambiance to the area. :D
  • Options
    killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,920
    Forum Member

No need to get sarky:

THE LAW IS THAT IF IT IS NOT OBSTRUCTING ACCESS THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO.

(unless you have a quiet word with the owner)