Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Comments

• The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's just a sign of the times (and not a very good sign) that this can be headline news, get close on a million people signing a petition and morons hounding the producer.

All round pathetic really.
  • MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    Eh? So anyone who doesn't like Clarkson has an agenda, apart from Kap, who doesn't like Clarkson either, but doesn't have an agenda. What kind of half-arsed logic is that? :confused:

Anyway, no ones getting het up about Clarkson. If he's done anything sackable, then fingers crossed he'll get what he deserves. If not, no big deal, he'll be back on your screen and you can enjoy your weekly dose of casual racism, lazy stereotypes and lame dad humour once again.

I did a search on myself... I've made 17 posts (not including this one or any that are to follow) about him in total in the entire time I've posted on this forum... I guess that's enough to make an agenda in Maw's book. Hey ho.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could not care less about him nor the programme.

However I care about the BBCs recently instituted policy of zero tolerance from managers and stars who abuse their colleagues , including verbal abuse, I'm waiting to see how they get round that and what reasons they come up with . Is that an agenda ?
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mesostim wrote: »
    I did a search on myself... I've made 17 posts (not including this one or any that are to follow) about him in total in the entire time I've posted on this forum... I guess that's enough to make an agenda in Maw's book. Hey ho.

In some people's eyes, unless you declare an oath of allegiance to Clarkson, you have an agenda against him.

Not saying that's necessarily true of MAW, but it definitely is the case for many.
  • MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    In some people's eyes, unless you declare an oath of allegiance to Clarkson, you have an agenda against him.

Not saying that's necessarily true of MAW, but it definitely is the case for many.

Ahhh Blue... what can we do... we've been outed as dishonest detractors :cry: The crime of commenting on a topical story is a dreadful one indeed. If it's not pro-Clarkson or by the Kappmeister that is :cry:
  • ScousingScowlerScousingScowler Posts: 934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoy Top Gear, preferred the older ones as they seemed far less exaggerated and scripted.

Couldn't give a toss if Clarkson stays or goes.
  • SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    I enjoy Top Gear, preferred the older ones as they seemed far less exaggerated and scripted.

Couldn't give a toss if Clarkson stays or goes.

Surely if you enjoy something, the fact it could drastically change or cease must make you give a little bit of a toss surely? :confused:

Why do people say weird contradictory things?
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fortunately for me Clarkson amuses me and I'm able to take his act with a pinch of salt.
    It's also amusing to see those who don't like him or find him funny incandescent with modern moral outrage at his misdemeanours.
    I think the effect social media had on Ross and Brand has fired up a new phenomenon of getting people sacked for things that previously would have gone by hardly noticed.
    Every action has an equal and opposite reaction so the support shown via the petition is perhaps a sign that some are a bit bored with it all now which of course only serves to make others seethe in frustration (judging by the sentiments expressed in this thread).
  • jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    Saigo wrote: »
    Surely if you enjoy something, the fact it could drastically change or cease must make you give a little bit of a toss surely? :confused:

Why do people say weird contradictory things?

I don't find that contradictory - it is possible to like a programme and not be overly bothered if the presenters change. It depends what parts of the show you enjoy and whether you think they would be spoiled if a different person presented them... I personally think TG would be very different without Clarkson but I don't see why it couldn't still be a good programme.
  • jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    SaturnV wrote: »
    Fortunately for me Clarkson amuses me and I'm able to take his act with a pinch of salt.
    It's also amusing to see those who don't like him or find him funny incandescent with modern moral outrage at his misdemeanours.
    I think the effect social media had on Ross and Brand has fired up a new phenomenon of getting people sacked for things that previously would have gone by hardly noticed.
    Every action has an equal and opposite reaction so the support shown via the petition is perhaps a sign that some are a bit bored with it all now which of course only serves to make others seethe in frustration (judging by the sentiments expressed in this thread).

To be fair, if he did punch someone in the way that has been described in the story linked just above that wouldn't be a misdemeanour - I can't think of a company I have worked for that wouldn't sack someone who did that (I am not saying he did by the way).

There is a limit to what is acceptable and no-one should be given a free pass just because they are popular amongst the viewing public (or make lots of money for their company for that matter). Bullying and harassing people because you are in a more senior position (whether a manager or a famous TV presenter) is something small people do and they don't deserve anything but contempt and certainly not support.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

IF this is true he is toast. But sadly it should never ever come to this where so called stars treat junior staff like s***. He has been allowed so much leeway for so long his ego is huge, he has gotten away with all sorts of crap because everyone was afraid to lose the golden goose. Hell mend the BBC , if all of the allegations are true.
  • CosinCosin Posts: 765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strikes me as a bit odd that someone can allegedly do what he's accused of doing and then act in the manner that he's acted since the incident, all blase and 'supremely relaxed' without any guilt, with the allegations stated in that article being true. He's obviously a bigger c*** than I thought, if that's true.

But him and TG is still my favourite thing on the box
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thread in Broadcasting reporting that The Mirror tomorrow says the producer ended up in A&E, bleeding after Clarkson hit him.

Game, set and match.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Thread in Broadcasting reporting that The Mirror tomorrow says the producer ended up in A&E, bleeding after Clarkson hit him.

Game, set and match.

Posted here. 1559 above.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member

As others have said, if the contents of the article are true then he's finished on the BBC!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the allegations prove to be true , are May and Hammond irreparably damaged.by association? Allegedly they were there and witnessed all this .
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    benjamini wrote: »
    IF this is true he is toast. But sadly it should never ever come to this where so called stars treat junior staff like s***. He has been allowed so much leeway for so long his ego is huge, he has gotten away with all sorts of crap because everyone was afraid to lose the golden goose. Hell mend the BBC , if all of the allegations are true.

Indeed. A sad example of how money talks. The BBC has made a rod for its own back by tolerating the repulsive man for so long.
  • CosinCosin Posts: 765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Straker wrote: »

Game, set and match.

So this is what it's about to you? Wow! Clarkson supporters .v. anti-Clarkson supporters? Just wow:confused:
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    If the allegations prove to be true , are May and Hammond irreparably damaged.by association? Allegedly they were there and witnessed all this .

The Stig too. Arsehole.
  • scoobiesnacksscoobiesnacks Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Most reports indicate they were with him earlier in the day, but not at the hotel.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most reports indicate they were with him earlier in the day, but not at the hotel.

May's interview was ambiguous , to say the least. He was he said to drunk at the time.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SaturnV wrote: »

If what has been suggested - that he threw a punch at a fellow BBC employee - is true, then he deserves to be sacked for gross misconduct, as would any other member of staff in any other organisation you care to mention. You really can't go around lamping people at work because you're pissed off.

The fact that it was allegedly thrown by Clarkson, should really make no difference to the outcome, otherwise someone else at the BBC might subsequently do the same and argue that if Clarkson wasn't sacked, why should they be.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The most remarkable thing in that whole article for me is this bit:
    After the row ended, Clarkson is believed to have been placated with a £21.95 steak cooked for him by the hotel’s general manager Robert Scott.

as opposed to the general manager calling in the police as you would think they normally would when one guest physically and verbally assaults another guest.....:o
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    May's interview was ambiguous , to say the least. He was he said to drunk at the time.

He's not exactly going to say anything to a doorstepper is he? I'd say the same "Too pissed, can't remember sorry"