Jane Doh! wrote: »
    That'll bugger up the cricket.

Could save us from an Ashes whitewash, so it's not all bad.:D
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    The last two summers weren't particularly hot. Not where I am near London.

I remember 1976 somewhat. Now, that was a hot summer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_United_Kingdom_heat_wave

We had a hot July the last two summers. Average Junes and terrible Augusts.

1976 is the first summer I can remember. Other memorable hot summers for me were 1984, 1989, 1990, 1995, 2003 and 2006. That's not many out of 42.
  • Options
    egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have found mettjeffuk on twitter to be very accurate,dont know what their summer forecast is though.
  • Options
    bostin_austinbostin_austin Posts: 810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just checked on Metcheck.com for weather in my area, Brum and they are predicting rain throughout the summer most days. They are normally pretty accurate.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just seen that they are predicting a cold wet summer this year because the jet stream is in the wrong place. Suppose we can't complain after the last 2 hot summers. I knew a third one in a row was highly unlikely.
    Bollocks! I picked the wrong year to have my summer holiday in the UK!! 😫😫
  • Options
    housegirlhousegirl Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    Just seen that they are predicting a cold wet summer this year because the jet stream is in the wrong place. Suppose we can't complain after the last 2 hot summers. I knew a third one in a row was highly unlikely.

I hope not I love my garden planting and then watching it grow, I like being out doors could never ever be shut in some flat would drive me mad. Can not wait for our holiday in Bude, 4 bed house attached to a farm.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's funny because the Mirror is saying "Britain to sizzle in three-month heatwave" and The Telegraph says "The Met Office predicts that Britain will see hotter than average temperatures over the next three months"

Both of these were from mid-April, so they are already wrong :D
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just checked on Metcheck.com for weather in my area, Brum and they are predicting rain throughout the summer most days. They are normally pretty accurate.

But they can't actually predict the weather 2-4 months in advance any more than any one of us on here. You can predict that it will be hot at some stage, that it will be slightly colder than usual, that there will be rain, but you can't actually, accurately forecast weather that far in advance. It's lunacy to think otherwise.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member

1976 is the first summer I can remember. Other memorable hot summers for me were 1984, 1989, 1990, 1995, 2003 and 2006. That's not many out of 42.

We are not supposed to have many (very) hot summers. We live in a temperate climate. Likewise our winters generally don't get too cold. It's weather I generally like. If you want the same weather day in day out, whether hot or cold, the UK climate is not for you.

I like that on any given day, the weather will be very likely different from the day before and tomorrow will be different again.

We had wall to wall sunshine and no clouds for 2-3 months in 1976. It was alright at the time, but most people breathed a sigh of relief when it finished. I certainly wouldn't want weather like that regular as clockwork every year.
    Well, it's not all bad news then. :p

It might be for me. Cricket is my favourite sport.
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Some other summers since then had really hot periods as well (July 1983, July 1994, August 1997 for example).

August 2013 was a reasonable summer month, but August 2014 was dire.
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    Could save us from an Ashes whitewash, so it's not all bad.:D

I'm a Pompey supporter as well so I'm used to having my high expectations smashed into the gutter and tramped on!
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some other summers since then had really hot periods as well (July 1983, July 1994, August 1997 for example).

August 2013 was awful here. It rained and rained. It threw it down on my birthday and Leeds Festival was one of the wettest ever. It wasn't a reasonable summer month here, not by a long way!
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rain, rain, rain. Why do we bother?:kitty:
  • Options
    HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

1995 had a record hot August and a severe drought.
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1995 had a record hot August and a severe drought.

I am old enough to remember summer 1976 ! we had a drought that year the worst i can remember by a mile month after month of sun.
    http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/reports/philip-eden/The-greatest-drought-on-record.htm

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/drought-of-1976-brought-standpipes-and-shared-baths-478513.html
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good - I won't have to go shopping for new T-shirts.
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the Rain comes they run and hide their heads, they might as well be dead. If the Rain comes.

When the sun shines they slip into the shade and sip their Lemonade. When the sun shines.
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am old enough to remember summer 1976 ! we had a drought that year the worst i can remember by a mile month after month of sun.
    http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/reports/philip-eden/The-greatest-drought-on-record.htm

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/drought-of-1976-brought-standpipes-and-shared-baths-478513.html

Yeah, it was great. I enjoyed a fantastic two week holiday in Cornwall.
  • Options
    sky0000547sky0000547 Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    I seriously do not remember this country having a decent summer. There might have been 1 or 2 weeks of good warm weather but summer consists of several months.
  • Options
    Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

We got the remnants of that ex-hurricane stirring everything up in August last year as I recall. But otherwise a pretty good summer as far as these things go. September was good too. We'll probably have a terrible one this year to pay for it.
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've had two gloriously hot summers in a row, so we can't really moan. But seeing as this has no doubt come from the met office who predicted that this winter would be new of the coldest on record, I'd talk it with a pinch of salt. They talk bollocks 99.9% of the time.
  • Options
    AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please let this be true, I hate the summer, much more comfortable to live when its cooler.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We've had two gloriously hot summers in a row, so we can't really moan.

As I said above, the last two summers haven't been anything particularly special. Not where I live near London anyway.
    sky0000547 wrote: »
    I seriously do not remember this country having a decent summer. There might have been 1 or 2 weeks of good warm weather but summer consists of several months.

3 to be precise. It isn't even summer yet and people are moaning about the possibility of bad weather. Officially summer starts on June 21st and ends on September 21st. However, weather takes no notice of dates.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    AdzPower wrote: »
    I hate the summer, much more comfortable to live when its cooler.

Not when you have to pay the heating bill.
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AdzPower wrote: »
    Please let this be true, I hate the summer, much more comfortable to live when its cooler.

Don't mind it being cooler. Just don't want it raining everyday.