GB Olympic Squad

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
Forum Member
According to today's Times , David Beckham is a certainty for the GB Olympic squad as one of the three over age players. I wouldn't argue with that , but it also says that Ryan Giggs is being given serious consideration. I'm not so sure about that. Rio Ferdinand will be ruled out under the GB Olympic rule which forbids selection for anyone convicted of a drugs related offence.

Any thoughts about the squad?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,800
    Forum Member
    ...it's interesting that ferdinand gets the old heave ho for a drug related offence and yet a serial adulterer is under consideration :D
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The question is ow many non-English players will be picked if they make themselves available
  • MojoMasterMojoMaster Posts: 6,494
    Forum Member
    I think the squad will be a serious let down, and the team won't perform anywhere near the required standard to do well.

It will be a massive anti-climax!

MERRY CHRISTMAS! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    I think they want to ensure that non English players are selected. Present members of the Wales/ Scotland and NI teams will probably not be allowed to play which is why Giggs is under consideration. I assume the Republic of Ireland will have a team
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    david1955 wrote: »
    I think they want to ensure that non English players are selected. Present members of the Wales/ Scotland and NI teams will probably not be allowed to play which is why Giggs is under consideration. I assume the Republic of Ireland will have a team

Don't really think the non English FAs are suggesting trying to stop anyone playing, just they are making clear that they officially will have nothing to with the team.

A young Scottish rep could be the goal machine that is Jordan Rhodes ?

The Republic of Ireland players cannot count, the Republic being an independant nation with a separate Olympic squad. I am not sure if they tried to qualify, but anyway they won't be there. Apart from GB as hosts, the European qualifiers are Spain, Switzerland and Belarus :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_at_the_2012_Summer_Olympics_%E2%80%93_Men%27s_tournament
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it will be interesting to see who the GB+NI goalkeeper will be, seeing as Joe Hart will not be selected (as he will be at the Euro's).

Anyway my sqaud (I think it is a sqaud of 18 players, well it was on my game of FM, if that was anything to go by)-

GK- Amos (Man Utd), Steele (Middlesbrough).

Def- Walker (Spurs), Kelly (Liverpool), Dawson (West Brom), Gibbs (Arsenal), Rose (Spurs), Clyne (Palace), Bale (Spurs).

Mid- Rodwell (Everton), Henderson (Liverpool), Chamberlain (Arsenal), McEachran (Chelsea), Albrighton (Villa), Beckham (PSG/Galaxy).

Fwd- Wickham (Sunderland), Rhodes (Huddersfield), Agbonlahor (Villa).

That was actually quite hard to do! :D
    My three overage players are Beckham, Agbonlahor, and Bale.

Without knowing at this stage who will be in the England side for the Euro's (and so will be ineligable for this tournement), I decided to leave out a few of the maybe's from my squad, such as Cleverley, Welbeck, Jones, Smalling, Carroll and Sturridge.

Aaron Ramsey could also be included in the sqaud.

But give it a go, it is just for a bit of fun! :D
  • MojoMasterMojoMaster Posts: 6,494
    Forum Member
    Crikey Batdude, can you imagine if that team came up against Argentina or Brazil?? :D
  • BrunoStreeteBrunoStreete Posts: 7,180
    Forum Member
    Does it overlap with the football season? Do clubs have to release players?
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does it overlap with the football season? Do clubs have to release players?

The tournement runs from the 25 July to 11 August 2012, and with the Community Shield scheduled for the 12th August, 2102, (and with the Football League season starting round about that same week I think), then there will be a small over-lap of sorts,

Plus it all depends how far one thinks that Team GB+NI will go in the tournement! :D
  • SweetlikeheavenSweetlikeheaven Posts: 5,035
    Forum Member
    Stuart Pearce is manager, so it'll probably be something very similar to his England U21 team
  • Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stuart Pearce is manager, so it'll probably be something very similar to his England U21 team

Oh goody :rolleyes: