People without children

Just wondering how many people don't have children, either because they cant, or just don't want them?

Anyone wish they had decided to have them and now its too late?

Comments

• itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to have children but don't think I will.
  • bootyachebootyache Posts: 15,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just wondering how many people don't have children, either because they cant, or just don't want them?

How do you feel about this yourself?
  • Random42Random42 Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The other half and I made the decision not to have children and we're happy with that. We don't regret not having any.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    bootyache wrote: »
    How do you feel about this yourself?

I would like them, but worried it might not happen so am wondering what peoples lives are like without them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like them, but worried it might not happen so am wondering what peoples lives are like without them.

I would imagine they are easier and less stressful. But once you are old no one will be there to look after you.
  • Random42Random42 Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would imagine they are easier and less stressful. But once you are old no one will be there to look after you.

Not a good reason to procreate though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Random42 wrote: »

It depends what you want in old age, thankfully I don't have to worry.;-)
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Godparents couldn't have children because of health issues and they lived an amazing life. They always had money and travelled the world until they were late in their 80s. They appeared to always have both time and money.
  • NorwoodCemeteryNorwoodCemetery Posts: 1,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Mixed views in my case.

I don't have children - I'm a 34-year old male so I guess the opportunity hasn't disappeared completely, but it is highly unlikely that any mini-NorwoodCemeterys will appear.

I was part of the doomed Blair generation who went to Univerisity the year after grants were abolished, started working as UK house prices became utterly out of reach and started saving when Labour destroyed the principles of putting money by or building up a decent pension. I've found my adult life a constant struggle against the odds as I have had to completely finance everything myself (no money available from parents), and the thought of raising children simply hasn't entered my head.

However, I do think it is grossly unfair when society judges people who are without children - just because they choose not to/cannot produce offspring they are somehow seen as a 'failure' - why? Plus, UK society bends over backwards to help families wih children - subsidising childcare, prioritising people with kids in the workplace, providing tax breaks for families; but what about the hard-working single man? Where's his help?

My own personal opinion is that having kids is not a 'right'. People have kids, then moan at society for not doing enough. Blame teachers, blame the government, blame the disabled man who has the audacity to ask for the disabled space on the bus when a pram occupies it...

Your kids, your responsibility, your financial problem.
  • m-riverm-river Posts: 743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kids are brats, why would i want that holding me back?
  • bootyachebootyache Posts: 15,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If you want children, then try for them at the most suitable time for all.

Those who decide not to have children I find are very happy in themselves and with their lives. I think if it's a clear decision not to have children, then there won't be any regrets.

It's an important decision either way. :)
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the massive benefits of being gay is that one can have a 30+ year relationship without the matter ever arising. I simply do not understand the likes of Messrs Dwight and Furnish.

No doubt as I get old and senile I will miss having descendants to wipe my arse, but a worthy trade off I'd say.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    One of the massive benefits of being gay is that one can have a 30+ year relationship without the matter ever arising. I simply do not understand the likes of Messrs Dwight and Furnish.

No doubt as I get old and senile I will miss having descendants to wipe my arse, but a worthy trade off I'd say.

Haha, i don't think it's that simple is it. My 37 year old daughter and her partner have decided they don't want children and is probably very bemused indeed that her older brother and his wife have spent many years and effort and money on IVF . With some success. They have a darling little boy.

Horses for courses really. Parenthood is not for everyone. Thank goodness women can choose not to have children and not be. Regarded as odd. And more couples who cannot have children have options. It's a win win really.
    It's a huge decision , decide wisely.
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    Random42 wrote: »
    It's the reason why vast parts of the developing world are starving to death though, they have child after child after child, each of them dying of malnutrition or disease, but still they keep breeding, because they need a child to live old enough to look after them when they get older.
  • ChipPaperChipPaper Posts: 18,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never known anyone to be happy after having children. Everyone I've known that has had kids just seem constantly stressed and miserable. I really don't see the point in having kids and I sure as hell don't plan on having any.

Plus, the argument that it gives you someone to care for you in your old age is no certainty. If my parents believe they've got a guaranteed carer in me when they get older they're set to be very disappointed. I'll visit them now and again and take them to lunch or something, but I'm not spending my life running around for them. Screw that.
  • zedzzedz Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    Why enslave yourself to children when you can be free to do anything you want? Travel the world until you drop dead I say
  • HeartacheHeartache Posts: 4,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never wanted to have children, never felt broody or feel l have missed anything by not having them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ChipPaper wrote: »
    I've never known anyone to be happy after having children. Everyone I've known that has had kids just seem constantly stressed and miserable. I really don't see the point in having kids and I sure as hell don't plan on having any.

Plus, the argument that it gives you someone to care for you in your old age is no certainty. If my parents believe they've got a guaranteed carer in me when they get older they're set to be very disappointed. I'll visit them now and again and take them to lunch or something, but I'm not spending my life running around for them. Screw that.

But that is while they are children, once they are adults there are benefits.
  • NamiraNamira Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't want them, never have, never will. When my husband and I first became serious I was dreading the inevitable baby conversation but luckily I met someone with the same view as me. I split up with one boyfriend because he wanted to be a father - I really didn't want to do it again. People say it's selfish? Well I don't give a shit. Me and my mother have quite a few friends who had mothers who were not maternal, and it screwed them up for a long time. I know I wouldn't be a good mother, so how is it selfish again?
  • ChipPaperChipPaper Posts: 18,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But that is while they are children, once they are adults there are benefits.

What benefits can there be to having adult children? The only one I could think of is grandkids, which is just the same old crap when you're thirty years older (plus having kids so you can have grandkids seems pointless, just wait thirty years and adopt/foster or something).
  • MinnieMinzMinnieMinz Posts: 4,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't have children and I don't intend at this point having any, I don't see that changing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What benefits can there be to having adult children? The only one I could think of is grandkids, which is just the same old crap when you're thirty years older (plus having kids so you can have grandkids seems pointless, just wait thirty years and adopt/foster or something).

Again it depends what you want in old age.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I won't ever be in a position to have kids but that's ok. I'm unofficial 'uncle' to a few rascals so I can spoil them whenever I see them :)
  • Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was 19 when I fell pregnant and I wouldn't change her for the world. She's the only thing keeping me going tbh BUT I do sometimes wish I'd done a lot more with my life before hand.

I was in a good job at the time which I did have the opportunity to go back to but it didn't work out as I was suffering post natal depression. I sometimes wonder to myself if I would have worked my way up in my career as many of my ex colleagues in the same position as me have done.

I wish I went on holidays with friends. Done some travelling etc. I've never been on a holiday that hasn't been with family. When I fell pregnant my boss took some of us away to Majorca for the weekend and I admit I was miserable the full time watching everyone else making use of the free bar and going out at night having a good time.

I wish I had a more stable relationship, marriage etc. I wish I wasn't bringing my child up as a single parent and to an irresponsible father.

But at the end of the day I took the risk to fall pregnant, I made the choice to have my baby and I would never change it. My daughter is my life and I would never hold a grudge against her for the things I've missed out on but I always advise people to make the most of their lives and enjoy themselves before thinking about having kids.
  • MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What benefits can there be to having adult children?

Well, some of them are quite good company.

The only one I could think of is grandkids, which is just the same old crap when you're thirty years older (plus having kids so you can have grandkids seems pointless, just wait thirty years and adopt/foster or something).

With grandkids you just get the fun of them. Let mum and dad do all the boring stuff.