Glasto - The Who and Paul Weller confirmed

Comments

• TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wheel out the pensioners instead of putting faith in young up and coming bands. There's a sound long term business strategy................NOT!
  • axlgodaxlgod Posts: 658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well...........that's disappointing.
  • Paul WilsonPaul Wilson Posts: 5,108
    Forum Member
    Brilliant! It's The Who's weekend then! Unlike the Stones, they'll walk away with it!
  • Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No wonder British rock music is dead if they have to keep going back in time to get headliners.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    So it is not true that the Great British music lovers won't get fooled again? :D
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wheel out the pensioners instead of putting faith in young up and coming bands. There's a sound long term business strategy................NOT!

I'm not sure up and coming bands could be headliners....would they get the audience?
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What young and upcoming bands do you consider apt to close a festival on the scale of Glastonbury
  • Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems like an unusual choice considering they headlined the final night only eight years ago. Fair enough if they had released a bunch of popular new stuff since, but that hasn't happened.

The lengthy delay in announcing this makes me wonder whether there was someone else lined up but it just didn't materialise?
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    I'm not sure up and coming bands could be headliners....would they get the audience?
    gold2040 wrote: »
    What young and upcoming bands do you consider apt to close a festival on the scale of Glastonbury

There probably aren't many and you can blame the shortsighted music industry and festival organisers for that. They keep going back to what's safe rather than taking risks and promoting something new and fresh. No wonder Glastonbury is as stale as week old donuts.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are no new bands that come close to The Who.

It's also possible it could be their last show.
  • Wbc-WorkerWbc-Worker Posts: 815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are no new bands that come close to The Who.

It's also possible it could be their last show.
    perhaps at Glastonbury but they are at the Albert Hall 5 July 2015 and then 24 shows in Canada and the states
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wbc-Worker wrote: »
    perhaps at Glastonbury but they are at the Albert Hall 5 July 2015 and then 24 shows in Canada and the states

Thanks - I thought the 50th anniversary tour was over by then.
  • Wbc-WorkerWbc-Worker Posts: 815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks - I thought the 50th anniversary tour was over by then.

all the dates are covered at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Who_Hits_50!

they were due in Paris Glasto weekend { 28th and 29th June } so something strange has taken place as its claimed ' that was planned in advance '

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-32613712

so someone somewhere has been playing games

Do you have a Glasto ticket ?

I work at it now - This will be my 30th Glastonbury { going back 36 years so have not missed any since 1979 }

it will be a rerun of the Stones - people trying to reach the pyramid area were being diverted to the back field { north of the pyramid area } - lucky as I have a GFL crew pass I was able to walk straight in but many people just could not reach their friends - makes sense really as it was very crowded - have never seen it so busy - some of my friends had waited from noon - stuff that - I may like the Stones but there is no way I would wait that long.
  • Thom001Thom001 Posts: 939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was aware of this yesterday and I too was convinced that their 50th anniversary tour had come to an end last year. Obviously not :D