Hacked email account......

Hello, hope you are sitting comfortably.

Earlier this week my email was hacked and they left me with a trojan virus, which i removed with McAfee.

I am trying to beef up security to avoid it happening again (try to avoid it anyway) and installed Comodo on thursday.

Everything was going smoothly until i booted up my laptop on friday and Comodo failed to open, i clicked fix this and up came techgeek or whatever its called, they suggested phoning a 1-800 number while they fixed the problem, which at 11pm i didn't fancy doing so i uninstalled Comodo.

Can anyone recommend a firewall software to run alongside AVG which i have at the moment as i really don't fancy being hacked again and left with another trojan or worse.

If you need any more info I shall be more than happy to give it you.

Thanks again.

Comments

• barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    switched to whole freebie comodo security premium, anti-virus/anti-malware/firewall/sandbox etc, on my own computers a while ago with paid for malwarbytes pro as an extra 'safety net' .... sometimes comodo appears to not be running on desktop view, usually just me being a little impatient & clicking on the comodo desktop icon makes things display as intended on desktop -- comodo was running in background i've found.

just make sure mcafee is totally removed before you start modifying setup again
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know about the other stuff, but a 1-800 number is definitely not going to work from the UK!

The very fact it came up at all is suspicious.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    I don't know about the other stuff, but a 1-800 number is definitely not going to work from the UK!

The very fact it came up at all is suspicious.
    suspect it will be for comodo geek buddy built in assistance, US based I think -- I've deleted that part of comodo as i'd rather not have help apps accessing my computers from outside
  • Alan FAlan F Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, rather than dealing with all that software listed above, I would recommend ...

1 Uninstall everything listed, using the manufacturers uninstall software, and that of ANY anti-virus software that has ever been installed on that computer.
    2 Turn on Windows Firewall
    3 Install Microsoft Security Essentials (free), set to Quick Scan daily
    4 Ensure that ALL software is fully updated
    5 Download the free Malwarebytes and carry out monthly manual scans as a backup.

You do not say how your email was 'hacked'. 2 possibilities here ...

1 Someone just sent you an email with a virus that you foolishly opened and you did not have a functioning anti-virus to catch it, or
    2 They truly hacked in, or rather 'logged in' because you had an insecure password or compromised it in some way. Solution is obvious.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daily scans, even quick ones is being a bit excessive .. resident should catch things ... & MSE has a reputation for being a bit weak
  • Alan FAlan F Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barky99 wrote: »
    daily scans, even quick ones is being a bit excessive .. resident should catch things ... & MSE has a reputation for being a bit weak

I disagree about daily scans being unnecessary. If you leave it at default it will only scan at the allotted time on Sunday. If the computer is not switched on at that time it will miss the scan. Then you will receive the amber warning and have to do a manual scan. The quick scan takes 30-60 secs.

If the computer will always be on at, say Monday at 1 pm, by all means set it to scan then.

I am using MSE on 11 laptops, most of which spend their time with teenagers surfing the dodgy parts of the internet. All are set up as described and have not let anything past.

Have I just been lucky? Possibly but I can only speak from experience.
  • DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree about MSE being weak. I use Windows Firewall and Avira free anti-virus which seems to do the job for me and Malwarebytes for back up as well.
  • hellikinshellikins Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    Hello, sorry for leaving it so late.

I have re-installed Comodo and everything is going swimmingly.

I do a full scan once a week and quick scan when I use the laptop, usually every other day.

I am so pleased I didn't go to PC world, money is a bit tight.

Thanks again.