"Spartacus: War of the Damned"

Comments

• wildholliewildhollie Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't wait for this series....just such a shame it's the last one ! :(
    Will have to invest in the boxset once it's all over....
  • Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fatsi wrote: »
    How short is this season then?
    The others were only 12 eps weren't they....I can't remember now :o

10 for this one - 3 less than the original and 2 less than last season ;)

They all count!
  • fatsifatsi Posts: 10,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bio Max wrote: »
    10 for this one - 3 less than the original and 2 less than last season ;)

They all count!

Shame its only 10 but I will enjoy it none the less I'm sure!
  • SurferfishSurferfish Posts: 7,659
    Forum Member
    Bio Max wrote: »
    Confirmed as feb 11th....10 pm!

Can't wait :)

Gratitude for welcome news!

Old friends departed are sadly missed but new alliances will arise to conquour yet greater foes.

May the gods smile upon those who raise sword and c0ck against the sons and daughters of Rome.

Let us celebrate long awaited return with ample libation!

:p
  • Rip the TV EyeRip the TV Eye Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, more claret than Oddbins' warehouse, more nudity than a French beach resort and needless lesbianism.

And it comes on the back of one of the most quotable series of all time.

Can. Not. Wait.
  • Rip the TV EyeRip the TV Eye Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnF1971 wrote: »
    Gratitude for welcome news!

Old friends departed are sadly missed but new alliances will arise to conquour yet greater foes.

May the gods smile upon those who raise sword and c0ck against the sons and daughters of Rome.

Let us celebrate long awaited return with ample libation!

:p

This.
  • Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here we are then....10pm tonight!!
  • srhDSsrhDS Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to it.
    Can we get the thread title changed to UK Pace? shame we need two threads this year, I liked having one thread last year. The US paced threads often have the bigger fanbase as it's folk going out of their way to acquire a show.
  • Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any one else thinking Gannicus is looking a little bit on the chubby side? Still gorgeous though...
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,948
    Forum Member
    He looks ok to me! Had to laugh at the guy serving up horse meat against the rules. How apt is that?! :D
    Forum Member
    Also, shouldn't this thread be in Cult?!
  • xynariaxynaria Posts: 24,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crassus gonna be fun innit..................................
  • storm818storm818 Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent opening episode I thought. Crassus stole the show for me, I really like his character and the fact that he thinks differently to all the other Romans suggests he will be Spartacus' toughest opponent!
  • pianofortepianoforte Posts: 630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    are they keeping to the previous series premise where 1 gladiator can kill 100 roman soldiers with ease?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heroes can always mow through the crunchies, nothing strange about that.

Good first episode. a bunch of new faces (still to learn all the names).
    Crassus does seem to be a good villain. a bit less black and white baddie as Glabber was.
    I was expecting more flash back highlights in the first episode as there was a lot of movement of the rebel slave army before its eventual show down location. But I guess this show isn't going to be a documentary (and nor should it).
  • RedSnapperRedSnapper Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prettty poor I thought.

It now seems to be nothing more than an exagerated parody of itself - violence and gore maxxed out - all the clever plot and character acters taken out in favour of bland catelogue models playing swords & sandals.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    Also, shouldn't this thread be in Cult?!

I don't see why - its not scifi/fantasy/mystical. Its a costume drama - just set a bit further back than usual.
    Forum Member
    Shrike wrote: »
    I don't see why - its not scifi/fantasy/mystical. Its a costume drama - just set a bit further back than usual.
    I agree there is overlap but all the previous series were put in Cult I think. It's a boys own sword and sandals drama at heart which already has a cult following.
    Forum Member
    pianoforte wrote: »
    are they keeping to the previous series premise where 1 gladiator can kill 100 roman soldiers with ease?
    I agree. I take the point that heroes can always lay waste to huge numbers of enemies but this is the all conquering Ronan army we're talking about and they're being made to look pretty hopeless and no real challenge.
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree there is overlap but all the previous series were put in Cult I think. It's a boys own sword and sandals drama at heart which already has a cult following.

Actually they weren't always - though they may have ended up there:D

I distinctly remember spitting my dummy out when the Vengance thread got moved to Cult:o :D

I have since gotten over it & don't really mind where the threads are as long as they exist:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RedSnapper wrote: »
    Prettty poor I thought.

It now seems to be nothing more than an exagerated parody of itself - violence and gore maxxed out - all the clever plot and character acters taken out in favour of bland catelogue models playing swords & sandals.

The season has just started, they need a little time to build some new characters and develop a storyline. Crassus is a good start, interesting opponent for Spartacus.
    Give it three or four episodes to bed in the new season.
  • Weigh-ManWeigh-Man Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am watching at US pace and have just seen episode 3, to be honest I'm finding it very slow going, there's still plenty of episodes left but I hope it picks up a bit because so far I have been very underwhelmed by it.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree. I take the point that heroes can always lay waste to huge numbers of enemies but this is the all conquering Ronan army we're talking about and they're being made to look pretty hopeless and no real challenge.

Well historically the slaves did whup the Romans for a good year or two. Its mentioned in episode one that all the seasoned soldiers are either off in Spain with Pompey or out east fighting Mithradates. But the latter campaign is now over hence Caesar's return along with some legions who know what they're doing:)
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RedSnapper wrote: »
    Prettty poor I thought.

Well, it was the first episode and had to re-establish itself. So there was a big fight scene, a big sex scene, lots of flashbacks reminding us where we were, and lots of setting out where we're going.

Given the work it needed to do, I thought it did pretty well. The introduction of Classus was excellent. The final fight between him and his trainer had some emotion to it. Lots of tensions in that household. There aren't many of the original cast left (is Crixus the only remaining major cast member?), so for me it's an achievement that they've weathered those changes and have me looking forward to the next episodes.
  • pianofortepianoforte Posts: 630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    Well historically the slaves did whup the Romans for a good year or two. Its mentioned in episode one that all the seasoned soldiers are either off in Spain with Pompey or out east fighting Mithradates.

I don't mind the gladiators whupping the romans but it got so booorrriing in season 2. There was no excitement in the fights because they just mowed them down so easily.