The "All New" Gadget Show - 5th of November

JasonJason Posts: 76,557
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Teaser here:

http://gadgetshow.channel5.com/gadget-show/videos/other/the-all-new-gadget-show-teaser

By the looks of the teaser, and the apparent name change, it appears that the "World Tour" format that cost Suzi, Jon and Ortis their jobs has been dropped.

I wonder if the person who came up with the "World Tour" concept has also been dropped ?

Either way, I suspect i'll still give it a look. Not really many alternatives for tech on TV as it stands.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not that Polly bleedin anna again:cry:
    What's happened to Suzie? She was great on the show, much better on screen chemistry with Jason.
    Surely she's worth more than doing the lowly (keith Chegwin)GMTV phone in competitions.
    Just don't like that Polly she's a textmentallist.:eek:
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MEW TOWN wrote: »
    What's happened to Suzie?

You're a bit behind with the times :)

Suzi, Jon and Ortis were all dropped before the "World Tour" format was launched so that the funds could be freed up for a round the world jolly that sometimes involved gadgets.

Or involved testing HD televisions on the back of motorboats at sea :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I saw some of the world tour (with the nauseating Pollyanna) but thought it was an extra to the series.

BIG mistake if they've dropped Suzie full time.
  • J-JJ-J Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will probably give this show ANOTHER chance as there are very little alternatives but to be honest i did not like the world tour format at all and the last 2/3 seasons of the gadget show used to get the FF treatment for probably 3/4 of the show.

I know people love Jason but i think its time he went, i cant stand him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BIG mistake if they've dropped Suzie full time.

It's not "IF". Her, Jon and Ortis have been dropped from the show full time.
    J-J wrote: »
    I will probably give this show ANOTHER chance as there are very little alternatives but to be honest i did not like the world tour format at all and the last 2/3 seasons of the gadget show used to get the FF treatment for probably 3/4 of the show.

I know people love Jason but i think its time he went, i cant stand him.

See I do quite like Jason's obvious enthusiasm for what he does, but I can also see how it could be quite irritating for some people as well.

I have to wonder why Sky don't pursue Suzi, Jon and Ortis to re-vamp 'Gadget Geeks'. It would be a fairly big deal for them I imagine, as for many people, they're still fairly closely associated with the Gadget Show on Five.

I might have to start trawling round some of the online streaming services for an alternative if this series goes the same way as the last one. My BluRay player has a good selection of services like dailymotion, youtube e.t.c.., so it wouldn't be much of an issue to pick something up on one of those.
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    I have to wonder why Sky don't pursue Suzi, Jon and Ortis to re-vamp 'Gadget Geeks'.

I'd tune in, providing it was actually about gadgets, and not more tellywanking present jollies.

Anyone remember the very informative show on Sky, which dealt purely with the latest tech, presented by an honest expert called Bob Tomowski? Sadly, he passed away and Sky didn't have the wit to find another really knowledgeable presenter.

As for the 'new' gadget show, it sounds like what I came to detest about the old one, times ten. So I won't be giving it a second glance.
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not "IF". Her, Jon and Ortis have been dropped from the show full time.

Which then led to them having a, slightly public, fall out with the producers, Jason and Polly. I’ll be amazed if any of them ever come back to the programme especially Suzi.
  • logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This show is dire, the worst type of repeating themselves over and over.."coming up, later on, earlier on, after the break, before the break, we set so n so a challenge". Riles me right up!! There can only be about 12 minutes of content in an episode.
  • StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking at the trailer, it looks the same old same old, I'll just save time and post this from last series and not watch.
    Staunchy wrote: »
    I caught a bit of this week's, I see they've still go all shouty-shouty to show excitement at the slightest thing. Maybe I imagined it, but did they actually whoop, holler and hi-five as they changed seats in car?
  • rammie96rammie96 Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    Amusing how 90% of the comments on C5's own site are saying that they've ruined the show!

Seems to me that this is a classic case of the producers making a programme that they enjoy making - rather than one that the viewers will enjoy watching.

Filming all those stunts, and having all those trips, must be great fun. But surely viewers just want to know about the gadgets themselves, not seeing them in artificial (probably pre-scripted) set ups.
  • mrmattybeckmrmattybeck Posts: 1,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't wait loving the new format these were my favourite two anyways
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phrases or words that really annoy you?!!

Anyways
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    Which then led to them having a, slightly public, fall out with the producers, Jason and Polly. I’ll be amazed if any of them ever come back to the programme especially Suzi.

I think Ortis and Polly are on "tweeting terms" at the moment at least. I've seen a few of her tweets where she's mentioned him.

I've always personally felt that it points towards Jason being the architect of the new format and getting the producers on side to push it through. It would certainly explain the "snake in the grass" comment made by Ortis on the Wright Stuff I suppose.

But I think you're right, none of them would return now - not even for a final ever episode if the show was ever cancelled.
  • joel turcottejoel turcotte Posts: 809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good to see they kept the best bits, Polly, competitions, the brilliant music, if only it was used more during the show.
    Looking forward to seeing Polly in her new outfits, the clingy ones, the low-cut ones, the excellent variety of poses she has, and the superb camerawork that makes the most of her.
    Makes me shudder to think back at all those dull years watching Suzi, Ortis, Jason and Jon actually testing gadgets.
    Particulary Jon, who on earth wants to watch him, a chap that deeply researched everything, compared it with other things in-depth, knowing them inside out, and giving detailed analysis and advice. He was so boring, he even used to respond personally to viewers tweeting him, and still does even though the show is finished.
    Oops, sorry, the show is still going, tut. :p
  • ugley_mattugley_matt Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    Garantee you the following

Iphone 5 will win in a shootout against Galaxy S3 and HTC oneX
    Ipad mini will win against Google Nexus 7
    Ipad will win against windows surface.
  • WoodentopWoodentop Posts: 3,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't believe they are returning to studio format and will continue to be on location doing various stunts not too dissimilar to world tour, but perhaps more concentrated on everyday gadget use. Just the hint of things stated in some of their tweets.
  • Calibans DreamCalibans Dream Posts: 3,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will it be in HD at last?
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    The negativity around The Gadget Show is getting boring now.

Discovery Channel picked up the rights to the last series and will air it right across Europe and beyond in over 100 territories. So it can't be as bad as some people like to make out.

I certainly thought it was a step forward. A greater focus on tech for the average UK consumer is promised for this series so I can only see it improving more.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    The last series (World Tour) was in HD as well.
  • boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phrases or words that really annoy you?!!

Anyways

Don't move to the North East then..
  • J-JJ-J Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rammie96 wrote: »
    Amusing how 90% of the comments on C5's own site are saying that they've ruined the show!

Seems to me that this is a classic case of the producers making a programme that they enjoy making - rather than one that the viewers will enjoy watching.

Filming all those stunts, and having all those trips, must be great fun. But surely viewers just want to know about the gadgets themselves, not seeing them in artificial (probably pre-scripted) set ups.

This is exactly what i have been thinking over the last couple of series. Just about every forum slams this show on a regular basis and for the same reasons, lack of content, silly challenges which dont actually show day to day use, poor presenters, shouty shouty format etc.........
  • boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    The last series (World Tour) was in HD as well.

One of the problems with the last studio series was the amount of grief the producers got for having a show aout gadgets not in HD.
    They argued that the cost of conversion for HD in the studio would cost a lot more and take a while to implement, maybe one of the reasons for the tour, only need portable HD equipment and the sets are already in HD..
  • SteveBentleySteveBentley Posts: 1,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems to me that they've tried to do a Top Gear, but failed. What we need now is a Fifth Gear type programme to come along and be old Gadget Show.
  • logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems to me that they've tried to do a Top Gear, but failed. What we need now is a Fifth Gear type programme to come along and be old Gadget Show.

That's ....inspired.
    You remind me of one of those Fox Executives you see in the Simpsons!!
  • DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I might have to start trawling round some of the online streaming services for an alternative
    if this series goes the same way as the last one. My BluRay player has a good selection
    of services like dailymotion, youtube e.t.c.., so it wouldn't be
    much of an issue to pick something up on one of those.
    You might want to take a look at some of the offerings from Revision3.com. It used to be 100% independently run,
    but got bought out by the media company behind Discovery Channel earlier this year. They have a wide range of
    dedicated technology shows that put the Top Gear knock-off Gadget Show to shame!

If you have XBMC installed on a media centre PC connected to your TV, there's a Revision3 XBMC addon for that!
    ugley_matt wrote: »
    Garantee you the following

Iphone 5 will win in a shootout against Galaxy S3 and HTC oneX
    Ipad mini will win against Google Nexus 7
    Ipad will win against windows surface.
    What are these mystical lphone and lpad devices of which you speak?

Not that it would make much difference, since most people won't be able see the show in HD anyway. At least
    not without first sending some money to a television company part owned by the Murdoch Money Vultures!