Options

Forum design feedback

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    Nah - you lot just like to moan ... a lot. I am happy with any scraps thrown to me that make an otherwise dreary day a little more interesting.

Maybe I am a glass half full kinda gal ?

Or a monitor full of text kinda gal. :p
  • Options
    theAREtheARE Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's great, but users shouldn't really have to add code to anything to continue using a site they've used for years.

Yeah I know, but I'm a web developer so to me that sort of stuff is easy.

Anyway, thought I'd share in case it was of use to anyone else.

The minimal stuff is nice, I like that so I'm not gonna bash them too much, it's just having that global heading bar plus the forum heading stuff below that, it's all too much and the actual content goes below the fold.

But if you look at the skin name it's described as a WIP (work in progress) so hopefully this is a stepping stone, and in the meantime a little custom style makes it usable to me.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The people with full high definition screens will have much more room to see what's going on on the forum than the ones who have the normal size screens.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    ugh, new forum is horrible. Huge boarders each side, posts squashed in middle with huge white spaces underneath! Colours hurt my eyes and my favourite colour is grey! needs to be darker background.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    woodbush wrote: »
    I'm not so certain. There is a massive thread about feedback that the mods are just ignoring.

that`s as off putting as the hideous "design", how rude can you be to ask for feedback and then COMPLETELY ignore it.
  • Options
    Mrs SprattMrs Spratt Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't find that, what exactly am I meant to click on from google?

You have to install stylbot into your browser as an extension, then when you click on it you get a drop down menu with 'Install from Social ... ' as one of the options. Click on that and choose the style you want.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mobile version's working fine now. quite a nice design too. black white and blue colours. looks good and fits on the page
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't find that, what exactly am I meant to click on from google?

Oh, are you not using Google Chrome? In Chrome it's a tiny icon next to the Chrome icon right next to the browser line at the top. (Have you actually installed Stylebot into ordinary Google)?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    oooh, if you hit reply you can actually read the previous posts a lot easier in the review underneath the box to type your reply... well less annoying gaps
  • Options
    NortherlyNortherly Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Digital Spy Editor David Moynihan said: “Digital Spy has been created by fans for fans and we are incredibly proud of the unique redesign.

“The new website is smart, slick and authoritative, offering our readers quality journalism and more of what they and we love – high-end entertainment and tech.

“We are committed to making the experience even better for our users and I’ve no doubt the new website will continue to be a great British success story.”
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You lot can moan for England. I can see everything perfectly.

Same here.

I've no problems.
  • Options
    Nox_1Nox_1 Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    theARE wrote: »
    It's not to bad- the main problem is the DS global header bar and then the forum header stuff below it.

Meaning that the real content get's pushed way down the screen.

Firefox Addon Stylish to the rescue, custom user style,

@-moz-document domain("forums.digitalspy.co.uk") {
    header{display:none!important;}
    #adposition1_container{display:none;}
    #adposition2_container{display:none;}
    #adposition3_container{display:none;}
    #adposition4_container{display:none;}
    }

sorted

Thank you theare. I was using firefox and found the header annoying and the breadcrumbs were blocked. Installed Stylish, copied and pasted your code and as you say 'sorted'. Thanks again.
  • Options
    TheGreenManTheGreenMan Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The home page doesn't look bad but it's all downhill from there - truly dismal, one of the worst designs on the web. It wasn't broken, it is now.

But, as with the BBC all criticism will be ignored as we're right all the rest of you are wrong.
  • Options
    ackeracker Posts: 8,809
    Forum Member
    Maybe the mods are saving their response so it can be the 3000th post in the thread ( old school yellow smiley )
  • Options
    star89star89 Posts: 24,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    Oh, are you not using Google Chrome? In Chrome it's a tiny icon next to the Chrome icon right next to the browser line at the top. (Have you actually installed Stylebot into ordinary Google)?

Mine isn't google chrome.. Can I change mine *confused smilie*
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some were saying they don't have the "Go to first new post" arrow any more. I still do. Yay for me.
  • Options
    arunan22arunan22 Posts: 1,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the mods do read this - FYI - I am not old (mid-20's), nor resistant to change (I quite like the new logo and the new homepage/article layout) but the forum redesign is truly woeful.

-Header with links is too big! (Why is the search icon on its own row?!)
    -Ipad/smartphone errors - cant see half of the posts
    -Posts take up too much vertical space (less content visible)
    -Poor contrast (hard to distinguish different parts of the page quickly)
    -My eyes hurt after 10 mins of using this site. Too much white.

This used to be one of the best sites on the planet. Please don't ruin it.
  • Options
    OcdGirlOcdGirl Posts: 12,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Head....aching.... must....go...and...read...something...NORMAL
  • Options
    Lindy_LoueLindy_Loue Posts: 9,874
    Forum Member
    Northerly wrote: »
    Digital Spy Editor David Moynihan said: “Digital Spy has been created by fans for fans and we are incredibly proud of the unique redesign.

“The new website is smart, slick and authoritative, offering our readers quality journalism and more of what they and we love – high-end entertainment and tech.

“We are committed to making the experience even better for our users and I’ve no doubt the new website will continue to be a great British success story.”

Words fail me......
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    We were asked for feedback.
  • Options
    SnowStorm86SnowStorm86 Posts: 17,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Probably explains why you're not moaning then.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Northerly wrote: »

"“We are committed to making the experience even better for our users"
    no, you clearly are not.
  • Options
    jeweljjewelj Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    The Forum itslef I have no Problem with but the colour is too bright, I am afraid it hurts the eyes.

If they could change the colour it would be great
  • Options
    NortherlyNortherly Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how do you get back to gd in one click from this post without going via forums?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We were asked for feedback.

This is not in bold. Sort your life out. :p

:D
This discussion has been closed.