Options

Sherlock - BBC Drama (Part 3)

Comments

• Options
    VersaillesVersailles Posts: 1,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Semierotic wrote: »
    Louis Moffat will be in the next episode? Lol, they weren't kidding when they said they didn't care about the nepotism accusations...

Louis Moffat was also the boy who was scared and counting down on the phone with Sherlock in The Great Game. But i guess that is common knowledge in here.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Versailles wrote: »
    Louis Moffat was also the boy who was scared and counting down on the phone with Sherlock in The Great Game. But i guess that is common knowledge in here.:)

Admittedly didn't know that.

I'm terrified about this episode now...
    "the person that you least expect"
    Sherlock - well he's the title character, but like has been said before, we can work in flashbacks - it might be chronologically the last episode but there could be episodes of what Sherlock was up to in hiding, or between the first of this series and the wedding...or the cases mentioned in the speech.
    John - Probably the most likely as the person we least expect...but I really don't want that to happen.
    Mrs Hudson - Well no one has mentioned "Hudders" so far, so maybe? It would be sad but not groundbreaking...
    Lestrade - I really hope not, but possibly
    Molly - I really REALLY hope not, but she does go for psychopaths/sociopaths...
    Mycroft - Possible
    Mary - I thought almost certainly but apparently not...
    Anderson - no one would really care
    Donovan - again, no one would really care
    Tom - again, no one would really care!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    I think and this is just speculation. It might be Lestrade. Killing off Sherlock, would be in my opinion, a massive mistake as they have other series signed and flashbacks wouldn't really be as entertaining. Didn't Moffat say some people will cheer some will cry, so surely it can't be Holmes as I think everyone would be disappointed. With one of the supporting characters, if they go out as a hero some people would think it was a great ending others would be sad.

Mycroft seems too obvious from the trailer Mary too obvious as she dies in books canon. Watson, is possible but I can't see it. I hope it's not Lestrade as he's my second favourite character.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,084
    Forum Member
    I think and this is just speculation. It might be Lestrade. Killing off Sherlock, would be in my opinion, a massive mistake as they have other series signed and flashbacks wouldn't really be as entertaining. Didn't Moffat say some people will cheer some will cry, so surely it can't be Holmes as I think everyone would be disappointed. With one of the supporting characters, if they go out as a hero some people would think it was a great ending others would be sad.

Mycroft seems too obvious from the trailer Mary too obvious as she dies in books canon. Watson, is possible but I can't see it. I hope it's not Lestrade as he's my second favourite character.
    they wont kill off sherlock, or john imo. the show wont survive without either. i suppose anyone else is fair game. i suspect marys the one whos at risk. i read some of the spoilers about sherlock been back on drugs for a case etc etc but ive no idea how the eps gonna pan out. im kinda nervous for the ep now
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope it isn't Molly but Sherlock kissing her on the cheek, seemed like a goodbye, as they walked away:cry:
  • Options
    DanielFDanielF Posts: 2,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "The person you least expect"

Well, that's obvious then!
    No-one expects The Spanish Inquisition!
  • Options
    Enfant TerribleEnfant Terrible Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

BIB - if that's what he said (and what he meant, he is after all well known for putting people on the wrong foot) then surely it cannot be Lestrade? He's hugely popular as far as I can tell. Who would cheer at his death?

And Mycroft is far too important to the logistics of this show, he constantly "feeds" his brother clues and back-up that no-one else would have access to.

I'm sticking with the boring answer - it's Mary.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,084
    Forum Member
    BIB - if that's what he said (and what he meant, he is after all well known for putting people on the wrong foot) then surely it cannot be Lestrade? He's hugely popular as far as I can tell. Who would cheer at his death?

And Mycroft is far too important to the logistics of this show, he constantly "feeds" his brother clues and back-up that no-one else would have access to.

I'm sticking with the boring answer - it's Mary.

i hope its mary. i dont want it to be anyone else lol plus maybe some people who like the sherlock/watson dynamic will be happy to see the back of her been in the middle of half their scenes. or maybe thats just me.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stylo wrote: »
    Totally agree, which is why a second viewing of these 2 episodes was far more satisfying for me than the first time around. :)

Me too.
    Sorry for how clumsily I wrote the sentence of mine you quoted. I'm surprised that anybody understood it at all as it was so badly written by me. My excuse is that it was late and I was tired.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That quote screams out Mycroft to me.
  • Options
    StrictlyRedStrictlyRed Posts: 12,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Admittedly didn't know that.

I'm terrified about this episode now...
    "the person that you least expect"
    Sherlock - well he's the title character, but like has been said before, we can work in flashbacks - it might be chronologically the last episode but there could be episodes of what Sherlock was up to in hiding, or between the first of this series and the wedding...or the cases mentioned in the speech.
    John - Probably the most likely as the person we least expect...but I really don't want that to happen.
    Mrs Hudson - Well no one has mentioned "Hudders" so far, so maybe? It would be sad but not groundbreaking...
    Lestrade - I really hope not, but possibly
    Molly - I really REALLY hope not, but she does go for psychopaths/sociopaths...
    Mycroft - Possible
    Mary - I thought almost certainly but apparently not...
    Anderson - no one would really care
    Donovan - again, no one would really care
    Tom - again, no one would really care!

I don't think it will be 1 or 2 on your list -
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s129/sherlock/news/a542720/sherlock-series-4-well-make-it-as-quickly-as-we-can-says-moffat.html

If this is true, they are already trying to work things out around Benedict/Martin other commitments.

Some of the others on your list - maybe they turn out to be not what we think they are, and have "gone bad" hence the spoiler about there will be cheers and tears when we find out who it is. Could be Mrs Hudson, I suppose - as you say, nobody has mentioned her yet, hence "least expected", and her husband was executed, wasn't he? Some possible link.

Definitely not LeStrade PLEASE.
  • Options
    Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For it to be a shock, the character has to be one of the main ones, so that rules out characters such as Tom, Anderson and the policewoman.

I'd go for Molly, because:

Sherlock is the whole reason for the show. It relies on his personality. Without him there cannot be a show.

Lestrade, Mycroft and Mrs Hudson are integral to Sherlock stories.

Mary (and her child) would be too upsetting.

And it cannot be Watson. He is integral to the Sherlock stoies. It's unthinkable to kill Watson. It would be like the Batman writers killing off Robin - it could never happen.
  • Options
    Enfant TerribleEnfant Terrible Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it will be 1 or 2 on your list -
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s129/sherlock/news/a542720/sherlock-series-4-well-make-it-as-quickly-as-we-can-says-moffat.html

If this is true, they are already trying to work things out around Benedict/Martin other commitments.

Some of the others on your list - maybe they turn out to be not what we think they are, and have "gone bad" hence the spoiler about there will be cheers and tears when we find out who it is. Could be Mrs Hudson, I suppose - as you say, nobody has mentioned her yet, hence "least expected", and her husband was executed, wasn't he? Some possible link.

Definitely not LeStrade PLEASE.

Ooh - I never gave any of that any thought whatsoever! Clever, very clever. And quite heart-breaking indeed.

And the hero of the day - this particular time - may not be Holmes at all I suspect.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why did Sherlock call Lestrade for help, when Sherlock has so many people that he could choose from?:confused:
  • Options
    Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sandydune wrote: »
    Why did Sherlock call Lestrade for help, when Sherlock has so many people that he could choose from?:confused:

"Gavin is a man and good at it!"
  • Options
    fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    It must be Mary because of the horns.

Also her name is an anagram of Mr Astronomy - random and almost certainly nothing to do with anything lol
  • Options
    DanielFDanielF Posts: 2,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be like the Batman writers killing off Robin - it could never happen.

I take it that's tongue in cheek, yes? Since they did it twice! ;)

(Of course, they didn't stay dead - no-one stays dead in comics after all...)
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Who are these "many" people? He presumably wanted a man's advice, couldn't ask John, wouldn't ask Mycroft, so that left Godfrey. Er, I mean Greg.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who are these "many" people? He presumably wanted a man's advice, couldn't ask John, wouldn't ask Mycroft, so that left Godfrey. Er, I mean Greg.
    Hi Granny, Sherlock has books on best man speeches.:D

I can't help feeling Sherlock was distracting Lestrade for some reason.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,446
    Forum Member
    I'd go for Molly, because:

Sherlock is the whole reason for the show. It relies on his personality. Without him there cannot be a show.

Lestrade, Mycroft and Mrs Hudson are integral to Sherlock stories.

Mary (and her child) would be too upsetting.

And it cannot be Watson. He is integral to the Sherlock stoies. It's unthinkable to kill Watson. It would be like the Batman writers killing off Robin - it could never happen.

Agreed. Molly is the only non-book main character really, so she can be killed without affecting the "canon" too much.

(I know Mary is already killed off but John remains married to various different Mrs Watsons throughout the stories so the Mary character could fulfill that role)

(I also remember Louise Brealey putting a photo on her Twitter of her lab coat with "goodbye Molly Hooper" on it at the end of filming and when everyone freaked out said "no, I only meant until next series! :)" - now I don't know what to think :blush:)
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why are some of you so convinced that someone is gonna die ?

• Options
    nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I interpreted this scene as Lestrade's first chance (in this adaptation, anyway) of catching the criminals and solving the crime... then Sherlock needs him for what appears to be a trivial thing, and Lestrade misses out - again.

I thought this highlighted the fact that Lestrade is usually inept at his job, as far as we see, with his involvement in crimes with Sherlock Holmes anyway - both in terms of this adaptation and how ACD wrote the character of Inspector Lestrade.

Also, in so far as this particular scene goes, Sherlock lacks awareness of what is important to other people, and he can be locked in his own thoughts for hours on end without any awareness of what is going on elsewhere. Hence Sherlock's 'I didn't put you to any trouble, did I?' to Lestrade when Lestrade drops everything and comes dashing over to Baker Street - with the sounds of sirens and police helicopters overhead in the background. :D

Like I say, just my interpretation. This scene could have meant something else entirely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nethwen wrote:
    I interpreted this scene as Lestrade's first chance (in this adaptation, anyway) of catching the criminals and solving the crime... then Sherlock needs him for what appears to be a trivial thing, and Lestrade misses out - again.

I thought this highlighted the fact that Lestrade is usually inept at his job, as far as we see, with his involvement in crimes with Sherlock Holmes anyway - both in terms of this adaptation and how ACD wrote the character of Inspector Lestrade.

Also, in so far as this particular scene goes, Sherlock lacks awareness of what is important to other people, and he can be locked in his own thoughts for hours on end without any awareness of what is going on elsewhere. Hence Sherlock's 'I didn't put you to any trouble, did I?' to Lestrade when Lestrade drops everything and comes dashing over to Baker Street - with the sounds of sirens and police helicopters overhead in the background. :D

Like I say, just my interpretation. This scene could have meant something else entirely.

Lestrade trusts Sherlock as previously maybe Lestrade doubted Sherlock but with time they have got each other through the problems with puzzling cases by helping each other and maybe it was Sherlock's way of trying to save Lestrade from something. Maybe one day Lestrade will be in the right place at the right time for Sherlock.:confused:
  • Options
    Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lestrade trusts Sherlock as previously maybe Lestrade doubted Sherlock but with time they have got each other through the problems with puzzling cases by helping each other and maybe it was Sherlock's way of trying to save Lestrade from something. Maybe one day Lestrade will be in the right place at the right time for Sherlock.:confused:

Oooooh. I like that.
  • Options
    StrictlyRedStrictlyRed Posts: 12,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just got a bit confused.:blush:

Switched on BBC3 to watch the Sherlock repeat and there was Lestrade fighting dinosaurs on Doctor Who!:o:D