Sherlock - BBC Drama (Part 3)

Comments

• ukcarterukcarter Posts: 314
    Forum Member
    I thing the only fault with tonight's episode was the "Sherlock and Watson" dressing. If we forget about those old stories and their associated baggage, we can approach each episode with different expectations and enjoy the novel story telling techniques.

After all, the lead character in this episode

- Forced an innocent young lady to venture into the minefield of caddishness
    - Murdered an innocent man
    - Drugged his own family
    - Stole valuable government property
    - Was in possession of class-A drugs
    - Failed to make any deduction of any significance that turned out to be correct. One of those mistakes was literally fatal.
    - Came up with a caper to break in to an innocent man's home that was so obvious that his best mate's wife beat him to it.

All jolly good fun and I enjoyed it more having abandoned the Sherlock Holmes business after last weeks episode.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eggshell wrote: »
    Gatiss : Crikey this is a great story, firing on all cylinders, cleverness, evil personified and real humanity, laughs, thrills the lot.

Moffatt : Yes it's fab.

Gatiss : Trouble is I don't really know how to end it.

Moffatt : No problem, Chuck any old thing down and then we'll distract everybody by bringing Moriarty back.

Gatiss : Will people fall for that.

Moffatt : Oh you'd be surprised.

BBC Exec: Er, there seems to be a page missing from this script?

Moffatt: Is there? IS THERE?

BBC Exec: ...Oh, no there can't be. So sorry, Sir.
  • MissWalfordMissWalford Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My hopes were raised at the beginning that Mary might die, and i was so sure part way through the episode. Bit of a let down but I'm going to have to try to tolerate her. It's just that we have other background characters like Anderson, Molly, Lestrade. They all seem to fit in, and they're never shoved in our faces.

In my eyes the show should be focused between john and sherlock, and mary acting like a third wheel doesn't work much for me.
  • MorgsieMorgsie Posts: 16,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    k9fan wrote: »
    A dog.

It was mentioned in ep 2 and there was discussion about it
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No because Moriarty appeared after the credits ended.

Or was it Andrew Scott? :p
  • Apollo CreedApollo Creed Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found it excellent tonight. Some people don't like it though and that's natural. All acts of creativity will divide people.

That said I do get the feeling that some slag it off purely in some misguided hope that it somehow makes them more intelligent though. I'm not tarnishing all or even most with that brush but it's pretty clear their are agendas at work with some of the comments on here.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moff can't be touched. I genuinely think the BBC don't watch his shows, so they don't know what kind of p***-taker he is.

watched the episode yet?
  • The NetThe Net Posts: 5,494
    Forum Member
    jcafcw wrote: »
    Err...he was killed and brought back to life in the books.

Moriarty true returned in a later novel after his death in the Reichenbach Falls namely the Valley of Fear but this novel is set in time before his death. Strictly speaking therefore he was NOT brought back to life.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    watched the episode yet?

Alot of neglected script writers on this thread. Why are the BBC not knocking on their doors?

So you don't deny that you're a fanboy who won't take criticism of the Blessed Moffatt?
  • Karen_Grant_WasKaren_Grant_Was Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    Morgsie wrote: »
    Redbeard?
    the irish red setter
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MUCH better than the first two in that it finally contained some sort of compelling crime plot alongside the character drama.

Molly and Mrs Hudson are a delight in what little they get to do and there is a certain amusement in the fact that the writers did seem to be messing with the rabid fangirls a bit via Sherlock's girlfriend. Glad Mary is staying despite what some others here say. She's an interesting character.

I'd like to see more of the Sherlock/Mycroft sibling relationship which is frankly infinitely more fascinating than anything between Sherlock and John.

The weakness of the episode was the mystery in the end was quite lax ('it was all in his head') and Magnussen didn't feel at all threatening. He was underused. They seemed to be trying to compensate for a weaker plot with 'clever' story telling but in all honesty there was no need for any of it to be non-linear. It added nothing and will have confused some viewers.

Oh and Moriarty's reappearance would've held more weight had they not had him in the series so much already.

I hope for series 4 they take on board the criticisms and get back to some more intelligent crime solving.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,924
    Forum Member
    Because no one else knew it was all in Magnusson's head! :)

Even more of a reason to take him out if they thought there were actual vaults. Kill off Magnuson, government seizes the vaults. Job done.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Except Rory didn't actually die every week. He died once.

Factually incorrect.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So you don't deny that you're a fanboy who won't take criticism of the Blessed Moffatt?

I've written numerous posts criticising his awful DW S6 series arc. So carry on.

I ask again. Did you watch the episode?
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AceMcCloud wrote: »
    I think a lot of people refuse to accept any sort of character development and just want repeats of the same thing over and over again

Agreed, but that's 3 episodes in a row now where the 'central' mystery his actually just been a loose side-story with an unsatisfying payoff. I generally dislike procedurals but the pendulum swung too far the other way this year.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    pollaxed wrote: »
    I normally lurk and rarely post but I need a valve to let of steam.

Series One was fascinating. Series Two was a little plodding and ultimately unsatisfying. Series Three has been complete drivel.

Having self congratulatingly killed off Holmes and then brought him back to life again, episode one rips off the plot from 'V from Vendetta' complete the same police detective. Episode two manages to get through 90 minutes without any real detective work, and then this soporific nonsense.

The trouble with Sherlock is that it thinks it's clever and spends every waking moment telling you it is, including when it isn't on. Do you remember when Sherlock Holmes actually solved crimes rather then being the cause of them?

And then the most obvious plot twist right at the end, because they have nowhere else to go.

I cannot wait for Elementary to come back. Cleverness hidden in plain site, plots that rattle along, thoughtful story arcs. And detective work.

Agreed. Some wise words amongst the otherwise nauseating deluge of "that was totes amazeballs!". I thought tonight's episode was dull, undramatic and tedious. Maybe the next series will be an improvement as it can hardly be worse. But who really cares how Moriarty is brought back? Maybe Sherlock got bored and magicked him back into existence a la Doctor Who. The whole thing just reeks of desperation.
  • MissWalfordMissWalford Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Net wrote: »
    Moriarty true returned in a later novel after his death in the Reichenbach Falls namely the Valley of Fear but this novel is set in time before his death. Strictly speaking therefore he was NOT brought back to life.

That's why i thought he wouldn't really be dead.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Factually incorrect.

Nope. He only actually died once. Watch it again.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    Or was it Andrew Scott? :p

Genius. :p
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    If Appledore was such a threat to everyone why didn't they just send James Bond (government assassin) in to take Magnusson out?
    Mycroft described him as a necessary evil, so I'm not sure that is right. Whereas Sherlock saw him as a threat to John and Mary.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,084
    Forum Member
    Looking forward to Magnusson making a shock return at the end of Series 4.

(not a spoiler, just inevitable)

i dont think magnusson is anywhere near as well loved as Moriarty was, so they will probably keep him dead lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    MUCH BETTER.
    Wow.
    I'm relieved.
    I think I've gone into shock.
    But wow.
    SO MANY FEELS.
    I think for me, it was the fact that Sherlock did everything FOR John.
    Proposing to Janine - poor girl :p
    Mary, I'm a bit annoyed John is still with her, but never mind.
    AND AS FOR THAT ENDING.
    WOW.
    Also, Sherlock - hottest junkie in existance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    One of Moffat's main faults, he breaks the "show don't tell" rule.

Moff doesn't even do that. It's "barely show, don't have to tell."

He is being found out, though. Far more criticism on Twitter from people exhausted by his shallowness.

I wonder if a new showrunner will have to be forced on the show for it to survive this series.
  • Bob_WhingerBob_Whinger Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the woman trying to kill Magnuson was a supposed ex-intelligence agent, then why did she not cover her face when she was shooting people inside a building covered with cctv ?

I also don`t like the way they shoe-horned a love-interest Irish woman into the story. Just to balance out Moriaty having an Irish accent and not upset Irish viewers.