One star review for Taken 3 on Digital Spy plus other media sites

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    One star is incredibly generous.
  • JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    I will repeat what I said on the other Taken 3 thread. I really enjoyed it. A great film from start to finish. The cinema was packed out. I really don't know what the huge backlash is about.
  • laurence1870laurence1870 Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    The guy is 62 now. That's an age where most actors can't afford to be choosy but here he is as a high demand action hero. Whilst he has a steady line of work in this genre, he should go for it. I know I would.
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched an interview with him this morning of good morning America. The interviewer brought up his role in Love Actually (Americans are obsessed with the film. Every Christmas it on a few times). He replied that he'd love to so more romantic roles instead of more action roles. So maybe he'll do another romantic film soon.

Problem is: Would a studio back him with a decent budget and cast an appropriate aged woman by his side ?

They may feel, he's still got some appeal among younger moviegoers. Therefore, may force him into very limited roles, aimed towards a certain crowd.
  • ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The most boring action film ever committed to screen. The director should NEVER be allowed to helm a film again.

Lame retread of The Fugitive, with lots more mopiness between Neeson and Maggie Grace (I'd disown such a whimpering mess of a girl, if my daughter..). The frenetic editing, jump cuts, zillion angles of every "action" scene just left me bemused. By the end, I was fast losing the will to live.

Sincerely hope Neeson sees sense and won't pursue a fourth outing. Horrendous film. 0/10.
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The guy is 62 now. That's an age where most actors can't afford to be choosy but here he is as a high demand action hero. Whilst he has a steady line of work in this genre, he should go for it. I know I would.

Totally Willis, Stallone, Schwarzeneggger are al a similar age and pull off action movies well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also not many younger actors fill the void from the older ones. Jason Statham films are popular but other than that it's names like Mark Wahlberg in action movies.

For me Colin Farrell in Total Recall was a flop. Not a patch on the original.
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ASIFZED wrote: »
    The most boring action film ever committed to screen. The director should NEVER be allowed to helm a film again.

Lame retread of The Fugitive, with lots more mopiness between Neeson and Maggie Grace (I'd disown such a whimpering mess of a girl, if my daughter..). The frenetic editing, jump cuts, zillion angles of every "action" scene just left me bemused. By the end, I was fast losing the will to live.

Sincerely hope Neeson sees sense and won't pursue a fourth outing. Horrendous film. 0/10.
    I think he's counting all the zeros on his cheque
  • JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    ASIFZED wrote: »

Best action film I have seen in ages. Hugely entertaining from start to finish. Hope Neeson does a fourth. 8/10
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    Best action film I have seen in ages. Hugely entertaining from start to finish. Hope Neeson does a fourth. 8/10

Personaonlly I would prefer Unknown 2 or Non Stop 2. :)
  • FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A blow to Liam's ego, for sure.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    I will repeat what I said on the other Taken 3 thread. I really enjoyed it. A great film from start to finish. The cinema was packed out. I really don't know what the huge backlash is about.

It's rubbish and an embarrassment to the franchise. The bottom line is that some cinema goers are easily pleased and will pretty much watch anything hollywood throws at them which is why the studios continue to churn out these lazy, dreadful sequels. This film didn't need to be made, the original was a good, fun movie. Taken 2 was an awful re-tread for the 12A market and this is just the same again.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've not yet seen this, but I liked Taken 2 despite the poor reviews and negative opinions of others, so I'm sure I'll enjoy Taken 3 as well.
    FusionFury wrote: »
    A blow to Liam's ego, for sure.

On the contrary, I'd imagine he really couldn't care less.
  • AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed.

One of those directors who seems to have a knack of positioning and moving the cameras, and editing in such a way that you never really see what is happening properly.

Essentially it's a deliberate style of filmmaking to mask the deficiencies in the directors ability.

This does annoy me, when you have an action movie but can't actually see the action due to the way it's shot, but i'd guessed at a different motivation for doing this, and assumed it was all about getting a lower classification to maximise audiences by taking away the blood and guts and the consequences of the action. non-Stop was shot this way too, though it didn't seem so out of place as it was set in cramped conditions, but the result was the same.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just back from seeing this:

Fantastic action nothing like the second it was more like Die Hard. The movie was miles better than the trailer.

I could definitely go a 4th movie. Can't believe it got one star on here.

Cinema was a complete sell out this evening so seems many disagree with the reviews and I noticed it topped the US Box Office.
  • revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to Taken 4: Taken The Story To Extremes, Taken 5: Hardly Anyone Left To Take & Taken 6: Taken The Piss
  • Psycho_NedPsycho_Ned Posts: 17,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do wonder if at some point Liam just went to his agent 'you know all those Geriaction scripts I keep getting after doing Taken where I wander round with a gun threatening people on a mobile for 90 minutes I'll do all of them!'
  • Alvar HansoAlvar Hanso Posts: 2,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched an interview with him this morning of good morning America. The interviewer brought up his role in Love Actually (Americans are obsessed with the film. Every Christmas it on a few times). He replied that he'd love to so more romantic roles instead of more action roles. So maybe he'll do another romantic film soon.

this is actually off topic, but, there is a pretty cool honest trailer for this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giq7KdN4X-Y
  • TexAveryWolfTexAveryWolf Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got some lobby cards for this.

Thats right, I have a very particular set of stills......
  • FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very bad for Liam Neeson. Needs to retire the gig.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    Got some lobby cards for this.

Thats right, I have a very particular set of stills......
    :D

$290m ww on a $48m budget is a solid entry in the franchise, so a fourth is possible should they wish.

Mind you, I do think Neeson needs to act his age a bit and give the series a fresh angle. Perhaps Maggie Grace could treat him to a trip to the seaside - donkey rides, fish & chips, silly hats etc

Taken 4: A Nice Day Out ;-)
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    Just got around to watching this, just to quickly sum up where this is going:

If Taken was a 10/10, then I would give Taken 2 a 7/10, and I would give this a 0/10.

The main problem with it is that it's just a generic action revenge film playing every cliche in the book, there's no trace at all of any of the interesting processes from the first two films, gone are the calculations, searching and looking for clues, putting things together, etc, gone is all of that cool tracking stuff, no, now it's all automated to computer magic, hell, the main cop in it even says "Get the tech guys down here, I need them to work magic on this footage!", now we have freeway chases, generic cliche bad guys (OH LOOK, Coked Up Russian Mobsters!), it's just like they got rid of all those interesting and unqiue parts of Taken and opted for more action scenes, shit, Brian Mills gets recked in more cars in this film than I think in all of Neeson's other films combined! The LAPD felt pointless and were more like an annoying bug hanging around, you have Forrest Whittaker as the chief here who apparently solves cases by eating bagels and tasting food from trash cans, and you got the dumb ass cops, who at one point try and RUN ON FOOT after a PORSCHE 911, this isn't just one cop by the way, it's a group, they run past their own vehicles, and try and catch up to a SPORTS CAR on foot, etc, there's plenty of stupid moments like that. At one point during the freeway chase I had to pause the film to actually remind myself that I was watching a Taken movie. That's the problem, this is just a flat out lazy pure generic action film with the Taken name slapped on it, and sadly doesn't feel at all like Taken.

If you thought Taken 2 was a step down, this is the franchise jumping off a cliff.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ash_735 wrote: »
    Just got around to watching this, just to quickly sum up where this is going:

If Taken was a 10/10, then I would give Taken 2 a 7/10, and I would give this a 0/10.

The main problem with it is that it's just a generic action revenge film playing every cliche in the book, there's no trace at all of any of the interesting processes from the first two films, gone are the calculations, searching and looking for clues, putting things together, etc, gone is all of that cool tracking stuff, no, now it's all automated to computer magic, hell, the main cop in it even says "Get the tech guys down here, I need them to work magic on this footage!", now we have freeway chases, generic cliche bad guys (OH LOOK, Coked Up Russian Mobsters!), it's just like they got rid of all those interesting and unqiue parts of Taken and opted for more action scenes, shit, Brian Mills gets recked in more cars in this film than I think in all of Neeson's other films combined! The LAPD felt pointless and were more like an annoying bug hanging around, you have Forrest Whittaker as the chief here who apparently solves cases by eating bagels and tasting food from trash cans, and you got the dumb ass cops, who at one point try and RUN ON FOOT after a PORSCHE 911, this isn't just one cop by the way, it's a group, they run past their own vehicles, and try and catch up to a SPORTS CAR on foot, etc, there's plenty of stupid moments like that. At one point during the freeway chase I had to pause the film to actually remind myself that I was watching a Taken movie. That's the problem, this is just a flat out lazy pure generic action film with the Taken name slapped on it, and sadly doesn't feel at all like Taken.

If you thought Taken 2 was a step down, this is the franchise jumping off a cliff.

I would disagree.

Taken 2 was average. Taken 3 is like a new action film altogether nobody is taken. It's a nice way to round off the franchise and its a very good action movie.

If you want something like the first Taken I recommend Unknown.
  • giratalkialgagiratalkialga Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    The inevitable, 15-rated 'harder cut' has been announced.