Options

Anybody got Android L (OTA) on their pre 2014 Nexus device yet ?

Comments

• Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rosetech wrote: »
    I would suggest your statement of facts are actually opinion. Moreover as I already pointed out tablet sales (specifically nexus) are tiny in comparison to the number of active devices.

You can suggest whatever you wish.

As far as the sales of Nexus devices being "tiny", what's that got to do with issuing duff updates OTA ?

Give me the figures of the total number of Nexus devices sold and then define "tiny"
    The update has not been forced on anyone as far as I can see. Given there have been discussions all over the internet on the pros and cons you should be able to weight up whether it is with the risk to you personally as plenty of people already have.

No, it's not forced, and now that users are getting wise to the crack here, I doubt they'll be installing anymore, unless already proven.

Just a pity that Google have sullied their reputation by issuing an update to a great device, which often ruined it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    You can suggest whatever you wish.
    As far as the sales of Nexus devices being "tiny", what's that got to do with issuing duff updates OTA ?
    I would assume it means lack of attention by the Android team and consequentially the need for a 5.0.2 update ;-)
    No, it's not forced, and now that users are getting wise to the crack here, I doubt they'll be installing anymore, unless already proven.
    Whatever users choose to do, I hope it is on the basis of facts.
    Just a pity that Google have sullied their reputation by issuing an update to a great device, which often ruined it.
    Not the first time, I doubt it will be the last.
  • Options
    scorpionatthepcscorpionatthepc Posts: 5,378
    Forum Member
    Well i got the update today on my 2012 wifi only nexus 7 and I cant believe how slow it is. It must of takin nearly 45 mins to fully update and when it eventually got to the home screen it was so sluggish. Ive never factory reset the tablet since ive got it but that will be my only option to see if it improves :(.

Its running 5.0.2
  • Options
    1manonthebog1manonthebog Posts: 3,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never got any update on my n7 2012, got it on my galaxy s5 yesterday.
  • Options
    neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get the 5,.0.2 update on my Nexus 7 2012 this evening and its no any faster than the older 4.4.4 version.
    5.0.2 works a little better on my Nexus 4 and I had that update on my Nexus 4 since end of last year.
    My Nexus 4 that I have now had about 18 months did crash earlier this evening and it tane me just over a min or so before I could get it to turn back on.

Darren
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still waiting for Lollipop to be released for the 3G models.
  • Options
    MacartistMacartist Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    ney wrote: »
    I get the 5,.0.2 update on my Nexus 7 2012 this evening and its no any faster than the older 4.4.4 version.
    5.0.2 works a little better on my Nexus 4 and I had that update on my Nexus 4 since end of last year.
    My Nexus 4 that I have now had about 18 months did crash earlier this evening and it tane me just over a min or so before I could get it to turn back on.

Darren

This happened to me several times on my Nexus 4 after updating, ended up having to reset it to get it to behave!
  • Options
    BanziBabyBanziBaby Posts: 473
    Forum Member
    5.0.2 now out for razor nexus 7 2013 wifi model. Updated today using Nexus Root Toolkit & the play news stand app still only plays videos for 2 secs before stopping. Video in youtube & flipboard etc work fine.
  • Options
    scorpionatthepcscorpionatthepc Posts: 5,378
    Forum Member
    I wish i never updated.
  • Options
    jay seanjay sean Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    I've just got 5.02 on my nexus 7 pre 2013 took 45 mins to download
  • Options
    jeffkey1jeffkey1 Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    I've just got 5.02 on my nexus 7 pre 2013 yesterday as well.

Initially a few older programs like coin dozer were a bit jerky??? when I tried them but a power cycle seems to have fix it.

So far no noticed anything bad.

I do like the better layout of the settings app.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Finally got 5.0.2 on my Nexus 7 2012 edition. Turned up on the 15th. So far, yeah no problems at all really. It's no slower than Kit Kat, but no faster either. Haven't found any apps that don't work, well, except bloody Dodonpachi Resurrection which hasn't been updated for a year now and hasn't worked properly since Jelly Bean. Otherwise, quite happy with it. I think my tablet is due a nice fresh reset though now. Haven't done it since I've had it, so it must be due. In all though, the Nexus 7 doesn't owe me anything, and I think it has a couple of years left in it for me. :)
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, before and after benchmarks though not truly representative are still showing near identical across devices.
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still haven't updated my 2012 Nexus 7, I have found Lollipop to be awful on my N5 so I might give it a miss on my N7.
  • Options
    tony190tony190 Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    Although I did have a serious regret of doing so when I updated my N7 2nd Generation to lollipop and suffered from Sky go no longer working and a few other apps not being compatible, after the update to 5.01 and Sky getting their act together albeit rather slowly everything is now working as it should but it as left me with less eagerness to update in future until a little while longer and look at what is happening to other peoples devices that do update straight away
  • Options
    SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Updated my N7 2012 to Lollipop yesterday and found no problems with it.

I don’t know what goes on behind these updates or what is gained by the updates as to me it just seems to be like redecorating the front room just for a change.:D
  • Options
    shadyladyshadylady Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    I had the update to 5.0 Lollipop on my Nexus 7 2012 a few weeks back and it was very slow and sluggish then it was updated to 5.0.2 and it seems a lot better with only occasional freezing. However the battery now takes over 12 hours to charge. Anyone else got this problem?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Update 5.0.2 has downloaded on my Nexus 7 (2013). But there's no way I'd trust it enough to install.
  • Options
    JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    Update 5.0.2 has downloaded on my Nexus 7 (2013). But there's no way I'd trust it enough to install.

I've installed it - seems fine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've installed it - seems fine.

No issues, no lagging or failed apps ?
  • Options
    Forum Member

None so far.

I'd received a warning from Sky that Sky Go might not work but it seems to be OK. I've tried all the apps that I commonly use - Chromecast, Kindle, Netflix, iPlayer, Sonos, Slingplayer and some games and so far so good.

Perhaps being a late adopter was a good thing.
  • Options
    BanziBabyBanziBaby Posts: 473
    Forum Member
    No issues here with 5.0.2 other than videos in the Play News stand app not working, I used Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit to update it & then used the same tool to re-root & install TWRP recovery.
  • Options
    HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    Ah, it has just appeared on my Nexus 7 2013 model, as a download but no way am I going to install it. Hope the persistent nag eventually disappears.
  • Options
    HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    But after installing this don't you have to reconfigure your tablet all over again as if it was new, out of the box? I don't fancy all that disruption tbh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    HHGTTG wrote: »
    But after installing this don't you have to reconfigure your tablet all over again as if it was new, out of the box? I don't fancy all that disruption tbh.

I didn't have to reconfigure the tablet - everything just carried on as before.