Comments

• mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 145,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Musketeer leaves :-(
  • InTheLoopInTheLoop Posts: 6,595
    Forum Member
    @JMTD saw that.
    Though he was a prat so happy to see him go :)
  • Psycho_NedPsycho_Ned Posts: 17,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The last couple of rounds of the show weren't too bad, first half was dumbed down rubbish though!

Now onto the show where the real intellectuals reside......in it to win it :p:D
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Clair was pretty outstanding.

Then again, her competition included a woman who was almost a minute out when asked to count to 27.
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Parthenon wrote: »

Then again, her competition included a woman who was almost a minute out when asked to count to 27.

I was genuinely impressed by her times table aptitude.
  • MrsRobinsonMrsRobinson Posts: 4,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shirlt9 wrote: »
    am really lking this..good to sit around at home and play as a family..nice to have a show with a bit of something for everyone to focus on..
    Me too and it was nice seeing the lovely Rachel Riley popping up in the show with some tips for multiplying quickly! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,170
    Forum Member
    I have just watched this drivel and can not believe the rubbish that the BBC have decided to call "Britains Brightest".

Straight off the woman in the lead, Clair, did not understand why America did not take part in the Eurovision song contest......and the Times crossword editor was out first.

Absolute drivel.
  • MrsRobinsonMrsRobinson Posts: 4,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrbernay wrote: »
    Clair will be replacing Rachel whenever she wants to leave Countdown...
    That's what my OH said! I bet she's even quicker at maths than Carol Vorderman! ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    So no one else thought the programme was totally biased then? If a quiz played 3 topics that all played to my strengths id probably win as well.
  • darkwinterdarkwinter Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    I thought this was ok actually, and enjoyed playing along. I have yet to see Splash - but from what I can gather from the relevant thread, I may have made the right decision (although I think I shall watch Splash on ITV player just to see how bad it really is)
  • GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That observation round was a load of crap. I thought I was watching Britain's Brightest not Strictly Come Bloody Dancing! :mad:
  • sixtynotoutsixtynotout Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shirlt9 wrote: »
    am really lking this..good to sit around at home and play as a family..nice to have a show with a bit of something for everyone to focus on..

I liked it as well. I'm not sure how it will pan out over six weeks though if they use the same type of questions.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So no one else thought the programme was totally biased then? If a quiz played 3 topics that all played to my strengths id probably win as well.

I did think that having a maths professor competing against other non maths professors in a round involving maths was a bit unfair. Surely they could have come up with a more level playing field? Overall though, I thought the show was good. No celebrity focus, no dumb questions. I do think the scoring system is a bit unfair though.
  • marxavlenmarxavlen Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it. A bit slow to start, but once it got going, it was great.
  • vampirekvampirek Posts: 4,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This show did seem bad but then again when comparing it to what was on ITV, at least it was watchable...
  • marxavlenmarxavlen Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vampirek wrote: »
    This show did seem bad but then again when comparing it to what was on ITV, at least it was watchable...

In comparison to some of the entertainment shows of the last few years it was actually pretty good.
  • bargepolebargepole Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    I liked it as well. I'm not sure how it will pan out over six weeks though if they use the same type of questions.
    They won't - see post #7 on this thread: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1779826
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well I enjoyed this show, It wasn't so much as how intelligent you are really so everyone can take part.

Even estimating the age of people is a skill.
  • elgransenor1elgransenor1 Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    britains dumbest more like.

biggest load of drivel i've ever seen. admittedly clair was pretty impressive at her times table, but that's something anyone with any reasonable level of practice could get down pat with the minimum of practice. hardly high-level brainpower stuff. throw in the poor mans catchphrase rip-off round, and it became embarrasing at times.

I even laughed when one poor old biddy couldn't get 15x15- and she's supposed to be a contender for britains brightest! laughable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched Britain's Brightest: Here is a cut and paste from some forum I posted on about it with added stuff for here:

Just skimmed through the recording as I was at the pilot, which we only found out it was 2.5hrs into the recording.

The recording was akin to a hostage situation it went on for so long. We stuck it out til the end and was rewarded with some great juggling skills by the warm-up guy who earned his money. It was supposed to finish about 9.30pm it finished at 11.30pm.

The setting up of each round was very long. Thye have swapped around the first two rounds which was sensible - also there were no celebrities in the pilot...although I only knew who Eddie The Eagle was no idea who any other celeb was.

And when Clare said thanks to people who hadn’t left the studio because this pilot is important there was an audible silence with people thinking ‘pilot? Right we’re off.’ It has started late as well.

The guy on the clips about the McGurk effect and the remembering techniques was actually in the studio explaining the point of each round and how they tested different aspect of intelligence etc. On the actual recording this was totally missed which a) sort of defeated the point of having very different rounds and b) misses out on the base sexual instinct of women viewers to keep watching(some girls in the audience at the pilot only stopped til the end because of him!)

The maths tests were the same as in the pilot which is understandable.

I seem to remember the dancing bit was further along in the competition and they had the dancers plus a martial artist doing some stuff at the same time.

I have to say they didn’t try too hard in finding Britain’s Brightest - the people on the show aren’t geniuses but it is Saturday night BBC.

Not a show I’ll be watching. It was good to see the recording at Salford Quays and Clare has got a really nice bum which you don’t see on the actual show on TV…so I was quite happy.

She had also been awake for over 23hours having flown in from somewhere that day and did a fine job of staying awake.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    should have said anyone with a reasonable level of brainpower could have got the times table down pat with a bit of practice.

perhaps i'm a contender for britains dumbest as well :D

only real highlight was the appearance of the increasingly breathakingly sexy miss riley.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    britains dumbest more like.

biggest load of drivel i've ever seen. admittedly clair was pretty impressive at her times table, but that's something anyone with any reasonable level of practice could get down pat with the minimum of practice. hardly high-level brainpower stuff. throw in the poor mans catchphrase rip-off round, and it became embarrasing at times.

I even laughed when one poor old biddy couldn't get 15x15- and she's supposed to be a contender for britains brightest! laughable.

I could easily work out 15x15, BUT, I doubt I could do it in a TV studio in a race against time. These people were not dumb. Give them a little credit. It was refreshing to see a game show that wasn't a talent contest, a singing contest or celebrities families! It featured members of the public focusing on difficult challenges in a TV studio against the clock.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Parthenon wrote: »

In the pilot most people pressed the button at between 37 and 50seconds...I'm not surprised someone went up to a minute.

Even watching it in the studio we didn't think they had taken that long.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    I could easily work out 15x15, BUT, I doubt I could do it in a TV studio in a race against time. These people were not dumb. Give them a little credit. It was refreshing to see a game show that wasn't a talent contest, a singing contest or celebrities families! It featured members of the public focusing on difficult challenges in a TV studio against the clock.

No they weren;t dumb but when you a show called Britain's Brightest you should have people on who should be able to that sort of stuff in their sleep...

On the pilot there was someone who couldn;t even get the times by 11 method let alone not be the fastest to actually get the answer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alfster wrote: »
    No they weren;t dumb but when you a show called Britain's Brightest you should have people on who should be able to that sort of stuff in their sleep...

On the pilot there was someone who couldn;t even get the times by 11 method let alone not be the fastest to actually get the answer.

exactly. surely if you know you're going on a show like that you'd have your times table down pat? 15x15 is hardly advanced mathematics, its not even gcse level.