Options

Tories and Labour may team up to defeat Lib-Dems over Data Bill

ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
Forum Member
✭✭
Labour and the Conservatives could unite to push through a controversial communications bill despite Lib Dem objections.

The Communications Data Bill would give police and security services access, without a warrant, to details of all online communication in the UK - such as the time, duration, originator and recipient, and the location of the device from which it was made. It would also give access to all Britons' web browsing history and details of messages sent on social media.

The bill was previously dropped after a split in the coalition. Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg had said it was "not going to happen" while his party was in government.

But Labour leader Ed Miliband has said that "if he [the PM] wants a communications bill, we'll help him get it through".

Details at BBC website

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    NO to the snooper's charter!
  • Options
    jassijassi Posts: 7,895
    Forum Member
    Democracy in action, even though it probably won't solve the problem.
  • Options
    CelticMythCelticMyth Posts: 3,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Labour would never say no to a bit of erosion of civil liberties. Guess the bill will pass.

I knew the Woolwich incident would be used to push this ridiculous bill.

They will be banging on about ID cards again soon.
  • Options
    Barney06Barney06 Posts: 123,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not often I agree with Simon Hughes but on this occasion I do when he says there is no evidence at all that the bill could have prevented the Woolwich killing
  • Options
    ChizzlefaceChizzleface Posts: 8,221
    Forum Member
    This will kill Labour.

In fact, this could go some way to killing democracy, as who wants to vote for a party that is willing to over-react to this level over an isolated incident?

If Labour have any sense of what is right and wrong, they will side with the Lib Dems and kill this bill off.
  • Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Revenge for boundary changes. :)
  • Options
    jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    Revenge for boundary changes. :)

But we keep being told that the boundary changes help Labour.

Why would Labour want to wreak revenge on a party that apparently helped them out?

What a silly comment that is.

Back to the subject at hand, Labour proves once again that it is an authoritarian party -- having learned precisely nothing from Iraq.
  • Options
    redhatmattredhatmatt Posts: 5,197
    Forum Member
    If this was about terrorism, people wouldn't have a problem with it. . However, I can bet a few years down the road. This data will be used for identifying more minor offences, such as letting your dog shit in the park. A few years after that, the data will be sold to carefully selected private companies, For the purposes of research. A few years after that, jobseekers will have to provide jobcentres with this data to prove they are looking for work. A few years after that The data will be sold to private companies for the purposes of advertising. All under our noses.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any evidence that it would have prevented the Woolwich murder?
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Labour should stay away from any pact with the Tories.
  • Options
    tvdtvd Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forget about party politics for a moment.

Do the Police and security services think these new powers are required, and may possibly prevent some terrorist actions in the future?

If the answer from these people who work in that area and know what they're talking about is 'Yes', then that's good enough for me.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tvd wrote: »

Do the Police and security services think these new powers are required, and may possibly prevent some terrorist actions in the future?

If the answer from these people who work in that area and know what they're talking about is 'Yes', then that's good enough for me.

There are lots of things the police would wish to have that would make their life easier, prevent crime in the future. I suspect they'd be for a DNA data base for a start and national identity cards. Are you for those too?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    There are lots of things the police would wish to have that would make their life easier, prevent crime in the future. I suspect they'd be for a DNA data base for a start and national identity cards. Are you for those too?

Yes, I'd have no problem with that at all
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That will be interesting.

If you have nothing to hide.............
  • Options
    ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I'd have no problem with that at all

I think the problem is that there have to be checks and balances. Extra powers are fine but there is the danger they will be abused. The classic example i remember recently is when the police used anti-terrorism powers to arrest an elderly man who heckled Tony Blair at a Labour Party conference.
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member

The police and security services are divided on this issue. There are always those who want more data, whether that data is of any use or not. They think having an all seeing eye will mean they miss less - they obviously never watched Lord Of The Rings :D.

Then there are those who realise that access to massive amounts of additional data isn't really going to help. Pretty much every attack that's succeeded has shown that there was plenty of warning signs before the attack happened, but there were ignored. The data was already there.

This legislation could also further erode public trust in both services, and make it less likely for informants to come forward, which is how many of these terrorist groups are discovered and stopped.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't want these extra powers to be routinely used and abused, but we should trust the people in the security services (who have worked hard enough to foil a number of terrorist plots since 7/7) to give them an extra weapon to use against terrorism.

People like those two pieces of scum who killed Lee Rigby quite openly say they're at war with us, it's high time we got serious about fighting it.
  • Options
    twogunthomtwogunthom Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    redhatmatt wrote: »
    If this was about terrorism, people wouldn't have a problem with it. . However, I can bet a few years down the road. This data will be used for identifying more minor offences, such as letting your dog shit in the park. A few years after that, the data will be sold to carefully selected private companies, For the purposes of research. A few years after that, jobseekers will have to provide jobcentres with this data to prove they are looking for work. A few years after that The data will be sold to private companies for the purposes of advertising. All under our noses.

Then bought and sold by newspapers. For naughty knicker vicar scandals.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Existing legislation is quite adequate for terrorism since MI5 were quick to admit that they were "aware" of the people that did the Woolwich killing.

They also admitted - eventually, after having it dragged out of them - that the 7/7 bombers were under surveillance, so we can assume legislation in place in 2005 was quite adequate too.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You do realise that there is a significant difference between "want" and "need"?

The security services may want extra powers but that doesn't mean they need extra powers.

And as I asked earlier - how would giving the security services extra powers have stopped Woolwich?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    You do realise that there is a significant difference between "want" and "need"?

The security services may want extra powers but that doesn't mean they need extra powers.

And as I asked earlier - how would giving the security services extra powers have stopped Woolwich?

I'm not saying it would have, although since there have been several arrests, it's fair to assume the suspects MAY have been communicating online.

If not this time, these extra powers may stop the next terrorist act. Or the one after.

Provided they would be used rarely for purposes of national security , and not routinely, I cant see a problem with it.
  • Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Provided they would be used rarely for purposes of national security , and not routinely, I cant see a problem with it.
    This might be what gets stated when the Bill is introduced, and everyone will take it as read, forgetting that every time this has been done in the past, some years on they will be told "the Act never said that" or "no that only applied to one small bit of it", or "actually it's not technically anti-terrorist legislation" when the authorities drag you in over your failure to recycle that empty marmite jar.

There's also things that the Bill/Act depends on but which aren't subject to the same scrutiny or controls, many of which can be changed at the stroke of a ministerial pen, e.g. a schedule attached to the Act that can be changed by a Statutory Instrument or Order, and if not enough people are awake at the time, those just get waved through.

Edit: the point being that you cannot give them an inch because they already took the mile.
  • Options
    ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh well, the terrorists have won then as they've made people so scared they're happy to see their freedoms eroded in the name of safety.
  • Options
    jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
  • Options
    ChizzlefaceChizzleface Posts: 8,221
    Forum Member
    I'm not saying it would have, although since there have been several arrests, it's fair to assume the suspects MAY have been communicating online.

If not this time, these extra powers may stop the next terrorist act. Or the one after.

There is never a guarantee that it won't be used "off-label", as it were. Councils already abuse powers granted to them under RIPA, instead of using them for serious criminal breaches they get used to see whether you're really inside a school's catchment area.

Since such use cannot be guaranteed to be prevented, we cannot allow this bill to go through. Security services already have enough powers to do their jobs.