World Bank is worried. Will the US default?

2»

Comments

• nomad2kingnomad2king Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    Really? Last I checked Obama won an election with Obamacare being a key proposal. It's also been checked by the law courts and found to be perfectly fine.

I think it's more accurate to say that a minority think he's doing a bad job, and that will always be the case. But as Aye Up has said, the majority of the people in the US know that the blame for all this lays squarely at the feet of the Republicans.
    The Supreme Court found it "perfectly fine" on a technicality. The fines for not taking part are paid to federal government. That is what made it "legal".:rolleyes: If the fines had been paid to state governments it would have been illegal. It sets the principle that the federal government could pass anything that is currently determined at state level if somewhere a fine/payment goes to the federal government. What do the individual US states think of that? Was this principle something that was presented at or before the Supreme Court stage or was it something the Supreme Court concocted? If the issue hadn't been presented and both sides allowed to make a case then certainly in this country the Court ruling would have involved an "error in law".
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but there's the thing ..... the republicans have NOTHING TO LOSE in denying obama a deal, and they'll see this as an opportunity to kill off obamacare once and for all .....

as it's their ONLY CHANCE to do so!

expect the banker to be on the phone a lot :D
  • PlatinumStevePlatinumSteve Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey my car insurance is due on the 17th I'll be freaking paying it, I hope my federal government sees this and pays attention, lol!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obama is lying, there will be no default. There is more than enough revenue to service the debt, just cut out the benefits and entitlements.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's scaremongering and American politicians playing a game for point scoring. It wont default but eventually it could. It has already been pointed out that if the worse comes to worse (No debt ceiling increase) it still wont default.
  • rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all scaremongering. People need not worry about an economy that is trillions of dollars in debt and still borrowing $80billion a month

:eek:

A model economy (if you're Ed Balls)
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if they default there will be an immediate 30% inflation.

the republicans are still not over the fact that obama was fairly elected. they will come to their senses and reach an agreement with the democrats.

This time i think the republicans are right, raising the debt ceiling constantly is like saying a big FU to future generations who will have to pay and deal with this mess.

Cuts have to happen at some point, America will have to suffer for its years of proliferate spending and pitiful taxation policies.
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rusty123 wrote: »
    It's all scaremongering. People need not worry about an economy that is trillions of dollars in debt and still borrowing $80billion a month

They need to find that much in cuts and 25% more in order to start balancing things.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rusty123 wrote: »

In truth money is debt unlike gold. Considering the worlds oil is mostly (probably all) traded in dollars the US isn't going to default. They'll continue to get away with this and the mainstream media will continue to dish out the propaganda to scare people.
  • thomas painthomas pain Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This time i think the republicans are right, raising the debt ceiling constantly is like saying a big FU to future generations who will have to pay and deal with this mess.

Cuts have to happen at some point, America will have to suffer for its years of proliferate spending and pitiful taxation policies.

i dont agree with raising it either. but it will be raised. some reports last night that they are close to reaching an agreement.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CaveMan wrote: »
    In truth money is debt unlike gold. Considering the worlds oil is mostly (probably all) traded in dollars the US isn't going to default. They'll continue to get away with this and the mainstream media will continue to dish out the propaganda to scare people.

money does not = debt.

debt = an obligation owed by one party (the debtor) to a second party (creditor) .

money = a medium of exchange. it can be anything, e.g. gold, silver, feathers, stones or paper.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    money does not = debt.

debt = an obligation owed by one party (the debtor) to a second party (creditor) .

money = a medium of exchange. it can be anything, e.g. gold, silver, feathers, stones or paper.

Money is created as debt by private banks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WindWalker wrote: »
    Money is created as debt by private banks.

as i said in previous post, money is not debt and debt is not money.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    money does not = debt.

I see what you mean but Quite interesting information out there about how money is really created.
  • ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still no deal. Telegraph reports that the US Treasury expects the S&P500 index to drop by more than 3pc on Thursday if a deal is not reached before then.
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zeus wrote: »
    Still no deal. Telegraph reports that the US Treasury expects the S&P500 index to drop by more than 3pc on Thursday if a deal is not reached before then.

DOOOOOOOM! :eek::D:D:D
  • ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DOOOOOOOM! :eek::D:D:D

You may think that, but I couldn't possibly comment. :D

Except to say, nah, they'll reach a deal won't they? 'Course they will. They like to leave it late to give us a sense of drama and remind us how important they are.