Options

Russell Howard fundraising for Scientology

The DoveThe Dove Posts: 1,221
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Russell Howard is doing a private gig to raise cash for Scientology in the UK.

Attendees at the event, to be held at the cult's Saint Hill Manor in East Grinstead, will pay up to a thousand pounds for a front row ticket and the chance to meet with Russell after the show.

All money raised will be for Scientology, which has been denied charitable status in the UK because it fails to meet public benefit criteria.

What is Russell thinking of, aligning himself with such an evil organisation? Surely he cannot be so naive as to have no clue about what Scientology does?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152047785929014&set=a.10150151583669014.304709.517774013&type=1

Comments

• Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    I knew he had to owe his career to the mechanications of clandestine cult and not the strength of his "jokes"
  • Options
    LucyconLucycon Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    Standing: £75 Sitting, from: £175, 2nd & 3rd row: £500 includes a signed book. Front row: £1,000 and get to meet him afterwards at Saint Hill Manor

75 quid standing tickets to see this unfunny wazzock? :o

And what a pr*ck to align himself to the CoS.
  • Options
    MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear. That is a shame.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I knew he had to owe his career to the mechanications of clandestine cult and not the strength of his "jokes"

I find that quite heartening. I know you're only about twenty-one, and it encourages me that not everyone your age has a totally crude puerile sense of humour, of the sort Howard seems to have retained into his thirties, as I believe he is now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ain't nobody got time for that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That doesn't make any sense he has SERIOUSLY slagged off this "religion " in the past. I don't believe it. Just because someone writes an article doesn't make it true.
  • Options
    BowmaniBowmani Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    All religious organisations need fundraising, Scientology shouldn't be any different after all - Jesus was an extra-terrestrial being from another dimension.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That doesn't make any sense he has SERIOUSLY slagged off this "religion " in the past. I don't believe it. Just because someone writes an article doesn't make it true.

Yes. This exactly.
  • Options
    LucyconLucycon Posts: 203
    Forum Member

The OP quoted a Facebook page, no one's written any articles. Just Google Russell Howard Scientology and this is what comes up.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=russell+howard+scientology&oq=russell+howard+scientology&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i61l3.7376j0j4&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Is it possible that they have hired him for the evening, and he's just doing a corporate gig for them, rather than having donated to them or become a member or anything?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it possible that they have hired him for the evening, and he's just doing a corporate gig for them, rather than having donated to them or become a member or anything?

I hope it's a mistake and they've booked some random called Russel Howard who's going to perform a two hour seminar about pyramid sales :D
  • Options
    MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bowmani wrote: »
    All religious organisations need fundraising, Scientology shouldn't be any different after all - Jesus was an extra-terrestrial being from another dimension.

Scientology isn't a religious organisation.
  • Options
    mirandawebmirandaweb Posts: 3,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that this is either made up, or that he (or his management) didn't know the links between the organisation and Scientology.

I mean, just think of the grief he'll get from his fellow comedians if this is genuine! It's not as if he's struggling to make a living either.

If it's true then I expect he's currently in panic mode trying to get out of it!
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This doesn't make sense and I hope it's a dud story. I thought he was smarter than that.
  • Options
    pollipolli Posts: 2,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm, that,s all GB needs, a mad scientologist encouraging our home grown nutters .
    I used to like Howard but he has become tiresome and I can't be doing with the way he yells during stand up gigs.
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see a couple of people (from the Ex-Scientologists group that shows up when Googling this event, I think. They linked here, too. Hi guys!) have already made comments on his official Facebook page...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The Facebook page I linked in my OP belongs to John Alex Wood. You may remember him from such stories as trying to get a Cardiff Councillor into trouble for Tweeting that Scientology was 'stupid'.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/twitter/7900962/Councillor-faces-suspension-for-calling-Scientology-stupid.html

Until there's a statement from Howard that this report is false, I won't be calling Wood a liar.
  • Options
    LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe it's for some kind of BBC3 documentary?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    I see a couple of people (from the Ex-Scientologists group that shows up when Googling this event, I think. They linked here, too. Hi guys!) have already made comments on his official Facebook page...

I'm a member there too even though I was never in the cult. Thank you for making the post on Facebook. Something like that only takes a moment and yet enough people doing it can make a big difference.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lenitive wrote: »
    Maybe it's for some kind of BBC3 documentary?

Wouldn't be allowed. I'm afraid this is just to raise cash for the Ideal Org Scheme. Ostensibly the money is to be used to buy new 'church' premises, but ownership of these buildings will belong to cult headquarters in America.

Leader David Miscavige likes tailored suits, expensive shoes, personal chefs, vintage scotch, diving holidays on a private cruise ship and world travel by private jet.
  • Options
    LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know, there must be more to it than this. He's a media-savvy TV personality; he must know this kind of thing would be a God-awful, or Xenu-awful, move.
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Facebook message about the gig has now been removed...
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    Moggio wrote: »
    Scientology isn't a religious organisation.

Exactly. It's a good old fashioned CULT.

This better no be true. I loath $cientology and couldn't really watch Russell again knowing he's associated with this crap.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Agree, I find Russell Howard slightly annoying, but I thought he knew better than to be associate himself with an evil organisation! :(
  • Options
    AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    I now have 2 reasons to dislike Russell Howard. ;-)