Options

Should I be pleased, or remain a tad mystified?

DebrajoanDebrajoan Posts: 1,917
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I got on a Central Line train today at Bethnal Green, on my way to meet a friend at Marble Arch.
I took an empty seat next to a 30 something guy who was studying his phone, and almost immediately felt a movement under my leg.
I had inadvertently sat on the edge of his coat, and he was pulling it toward him.
I leaned to one side to make it easy, and apologised to him.
"That's okay", he said, looking back at his phone, then he turned toward me and said, "Your hair looks nice", then went straight back to his phone.
He got off at Chancery Lane without a second glance or another word.
I watched him walk toward the exit, but he remained looking straight ahead.
When I told my friend about this at Marble Arch, she said, "Yeah, in your dreams", but I swear to God it is true.
Was I 'hit on' in the most gentle way, and by failing to respond, lost a few marks in the game of life?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    The only thing you have missed is the opportunity for getting in a comment about coats and being pulled without the usual slap round the chops.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't personally call that being "hit on" (not that I would know, obviously :)). He simply paid you a compliment and carried on with his day.

But a compliment is a compliment either way, so you should certainly be pleased.
  • Options
    afcbfanafcbfan Posts: 7,162
    Forum Member
    Bloody Daygamers get everywhere.
  • Options
    howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    Daygamers...that's a new one on me, there again, I'm 57
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe he is just a hair fetishist.... (if that's a thing)
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    Don't read between the lines, it was a compliment and done as non-threateningly as it could be done.

You'll probably be in that Metro column where people agonise over commuters they have a crush on.
  • Options
    flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or perhaps it's just wishful thinking.;-)
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds as though he was just paying you a compliment, rather than hitting on you.
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    Get the ring and travel the tube for days until you find him again!
  • Options
    fondantfancyfondantfancy Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If he was hitting on you then he needs to improve his technique!
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was just being pleasant.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was he attractive?
  • Options
    HystericGlamourHystericGlamour Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    Espresso wrote: »
    He was just being pleasant.

this ^ and obviously high on drugs for having the audacity for talking to someone on London public transport.
    p.s. You hair is really nice, I'm sure.
  • Options
    SillyBoyBlueSillyBoyBlue Posts: 3,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should have been offended! That was clearly sexual abuse and he should be reported to the police immediately. A blatant act of microaggression.

If you weren't offended then I shall be on your behalf, and I shall write a letter of complaint to the Guardian, my MP, and the lead singer of Echo & The Bunnymen.
  • Options
    funnierinmyheadfunnierinmyhead Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    Debrajoan wrote: »
    Was I 'hit on' in the most gentle way, and by failing to respond, lost a few marks in the game of life?

I like this phrase.
  • Options
    victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was me, and yes I was just being friendly.
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Debrajoan wrote: »
    I got on a Central Line train today at Bethnal Green, on my way to meet a friend at Marble Arch.
    I took an empty seat next to a 30 something guy who was studying his phone, and almost immediately felt a movement under my leg.
    I had inadvertently sat on the edge of his coat, and he was pulling it toward him.
    I leaned to one side to make it easy, and apologised to him.
    "That's okay", he said, looking back at his phone, then he turned toward me and said, "Your hair looks nice", then went straight back to his phone.
    He got off at Chancery Lane without a second glance or another word.
    I watched him walk toward the exit, but he remained looking straight ahead.
    When I told my friend about this at Marble Arch, she said, "Yeah, in your dreams", but I swear to God it is true.

Do you have particularly 'different' looking hair? My hair was dyed purple and blue last year and I had strangers commenting on my hair all the time. I don't think they were all hitting on me, especially as a lot of them were little kids :blush:

From this, it sounds like he was just being friendly but who knows, maybe he wanted to hit on you but didn't know what else to say or was waiting for you to strike up conversation :)
  • Options
    DebrajoanDebrajoan Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KJ44 wrote: »
    Don't read between the lines, it was a compliment and done as non-threateningly as it could be done.

You'll probably be in that Metro column where people agonise over commuters they have a crush on.

I hope not, him indoors won't see the funny side of it.
    I can see it now; Me, 30 something phone gazer, Central Line, got off at Chancery Lane, you, possible cougar with dark auburn hair, fancy a coffee?
    Aneechik wrote: »
    Was he attractive?

Put it this way, had I been single and younger, I may have hit on him!
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    Do you have particularly 'different' looking hair? My hair was dyed purple and blue last year and I had strangers commenting on my hair all the time. I don't think they were all hitting on me, especially as a lot of them were little kids :blush:

From this, it sounds like he was just being friendly but who knows, maybe he wanted to hit on you but didn't know what else to say or was waiting for you to strike up conversation :)

I'd had it cut, and a darker red put on it the day before Christmas Eve, but it was nothing outrageous.
  • Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It might be his NY res to pay compliments, be nice etc?

Enjoy the compliment!
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh we see him all the time. That's Steve-o the axe stalker who does nothing but go round and round the train lines in red on the map. He compliments all the people he stalks and his drains smell funny.
    Happy new year!
  • Options
    NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh come on he made a compliment, take it as one!
    I've had several wolf whistles here and there, so what?
  • Options
    ste likes boobsste likes boobs Posts: 677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm going to stop giving girls compliments if they think I'm trying to chat them up every time.
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is your hair actually nice though? He might have been being sarcastic!
  • Options
    CosinCosin Posts: 765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    Is your hair actually nice though? He might have been being sarcastic!

That was my immediate thought. He's probably never paid a compliment to anyone, ever, and walked off congratulating himself after an argument with his girlfriend
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like a pleasent compliment, be flattered but don't think too much of it.