Options

UKIP MEP suspended over finances

Comments

• Options
    BoyardBoyard Posts: 5,393
    Forum Member
    Ennerjee wrote: »
    Unlike Douglas Carswell and Mark Reckless, Amjad Bashir will not have the courage to resign his MEP seat and stand as a Tory.

Perhaps he could put himself forward as a prospective Conservative Parliamentary Candidate in time for 7th May by standing for a seat somewhere in Yorkshire?

Exactly right... Carswell & Reckless sought re-election after defection, so should Bashir. I bet he doesn’t though.

What's more telling is that he's being investigated, yet Tories welcome him back with open arms.
  • Options
    MeepersMeepers Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    Boyard wrote: »
    Exactly right... Carswell & Reckless sought re-election after defection, so should Bashir. I bet he doesn’t though.

What's more telling is that he's being investigated, yet Tories welcome him back with open arms.

Why should he? There is no obligation in law or constituional history to do it? Carswell and Reckless did it to get publicity for UKIP. Politicians have been swapping for years, never had by elections for them before.

Furthermore it would be an utter waste of money, it isnt 1 small constituency, as its based on regional list systems you'd have to re run an entire region and that wouldnt just change Bashir's seat, it would change other MEPs who have done nothing wrong
  • Options
    MattNMattN Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You don't have EU by-election's

If an mep resigns the party he is simply replaced
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Carswell and Reckless stood for re-election in their own previous constituencies. And each of them was an established M.P.

Bashir is not in the same situation.
  • Options
    JerrybobJerrybob Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    Farage is being interviewed on the Marr programme today. Perhaps he will shed some light on the matter.

He did indeed! His MEPs were begging him to get rid of Bashir last November. Said they had plenty of documentary evidence against him. Reckon Cameron might just regret welcoming him with open arms...could be hugely embarrassing for them.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jerrybob wrote: »
    He did indeed! His MEPs were begging him to get rid of Bashir last November. Said they had plenty of documentary evidence against him. Reckon Cameron might just regret welcoming him with open arms...could be hugely embarrassing for them.

But nothing has been proved against Bashir has it?

It was his sons who are alleged to have been employing illegal immigrants not Bashir.

Farage also said that what people say in pubs is not to be taken seriously - they are just joking.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Farage said he had links to Pakistani terrorist groups and supported Pakistani blasphemy laws.
  • Options
    allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    But nothing has been proved against Bashir has it?

It was his sons who are alleged to have been employing illegal immigrants not Bashir.

Farage also said that what people say in pubs is not to be taken seriously - they are just joking.

There are also allegations regarding his connection to certain people in Pakistan.
  • Options
    pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Farage said he had links to Pakistani terrorist groups and supported Pakistani blasphemy laws.

And Farage backed this allegation with evidence?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
  • Options
    nainznainz Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going by the local new bulletin on the radio, Farage on Marr did a pretty good gob of shifting the glare away from UKIP and has opened up the question of why the Conservatives have accepted this man.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    nainz wrote: »
    Going by the local new bulletin on the radio, Farage on Marr did a pretty good gob of shifting the glare away from UKIP and has opened up the question of why the Conservatives have accepted this man.

To try and show that UKIP are not as credible and that many of their members will now defect to Conservatives as a result. The problem here is that Cameron did not first see the tainted package that he has welcomed with open arms. Strangely, Tory HQ fell silent as soon as the claims came to light. This is a massive own goal for Cameron and could actually work in UKIP's favour, as they can look like the good guys by booting him out and point to the Tories as a party of sleaze.
  • Options
    allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Maybe the relevant part is this:

The London Metropolitan Police have MQM leaders under investigation in relation to money laundering.

Maybe that's what UKIP referred to as "financial" matters.
  • Options
    SteganStegan Posts: 5,039
    Forum Member
    nainz wrote: »

Which is a very valid question. We know why of course, because Cameron is only interested in scoring what he thinks is a political point. He is prepared, it appears, to overlook the serious allegations outlined quite clearly on the Andrew Marr Show by UKIP's Nigel Farage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, thanks for that. Not what I asked for though.

So I will repeat, when Farage claimed he had links to Pakistani terrorist groups, he supported this claim with evidence?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    pedrok wrote: »

So I will repeat, when Farage claimed he had links to Pakistani terrorist groups, he supported this claim with evidence?

Erm, the video footage of him with sitting there with them that was just posted to you in that link?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just for the record, I have no time for this MEP, Cameron, Farage, UKIP or the tories. A plague of boils on all of them.

But isn't it interesting that these allegations appear last night, just as he defects! Not Friday night, but last night.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Is that video not enough for you then?
  • Options
    SteganStegan Posts: 5,039
    Forum Member
    To try and show that UKIP are not as credible and that many of their members will now defect to Conservatives as a result. The problem here is that Cameron did not first see the tainted package that he has welcomed with open arms. Strangely, Tory HQ fell silent as soon as the claims came to light. This is a massive own goal for Cameron and could actually work in UKIP's favour, as they can look like the good guys by booting him out and point to the Tories as a party of sleaze.

Absolutely. UKIP, once again, show themselves to be a party of integrity, whilst the Conservatives appear to be, once again, showing themselves to be quite the opposite.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Erm, the video footage of him with sitting there with them that was just posted to you in that link?

I am asking what evidence Farage presented this morning.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just for the record, I have no time for this MEP, Cameron, Farage, UKIP or the tories. A plague of boils on all of them.

But isn't it interesting that these allegations appear last night, just as he defects! Not Friday night, but last night.

He didn't defect. They kicked him out before he joined the Tories FYI.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is that video not enough for you then?

I repeat, what evidence did Farage present this morning.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I repeat, what evidence did Farage present this morning.

Why does he need to produce anything, when it's already in the public domain?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They kicked him out before he joined the Tories FYI.

And yet it was also reported that he was kicked out only after he left!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why does he need to produce anything, when it's already in the public domain?

Because it is Farage that has made that accusation.