Samsung "Smart" TVs

I think I might get one, as it appears from their TV commercials, "you get much better programmes on it if you have one."

Comments

• The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just bought one today after my old CRT went bang and it takes a while fiddling with settings to get a good picture but when you've got it sorted like turning off all the dynamic contrast features and power saving settings etc you can get an amazing picture. Demand 5 is still not working on both mine and my dads set and some YouTube videos wont play. Best picture imo far better than a Bravia or a Panny. Invest in a set of Develo plugs and don't bother with the Samsung Wi-Fi dongle.

Settings that worked best for me was opting for standards picture then set contrast to 80 Brightness to 40. Backlight on full. Turn off dynamic contrast and energy saver and anything that auto dims the picture and it's OK. One gripe I have with these sets is that if you're using it with an amp there's a slight audio delay due to the lag in video processing. Unless you've got an amp that has an audio delay correction on it then you'll notice some out of sync issues and you have to turn the audio down on the TVs or else you'll get echo effect due to the audio delay.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    The Wizard wrote: »
    Just bought one today after my old CRT went bang and it takes a while fiddling with settings to get a good picture but when you've got it sorted like turning off all the dynamic contrast features and power saving settings etc you can get an amazing picture. Demand 5 is still not working on both mine and my dads set and some YouTube videos wont play. Best picture imo far better than a Bravia or a Panny. Invest in a set of Develo plugs and don't bother with the Samsung Wi-Fi dongle.

Settings that worked best for me was opting for standards picture then set contrast to 80 Brightness to 40. Backlight on full. Turn off dynamic contrast and energy saver and anything that auto dims the picture and it's OK. One gripe I have with these sets is that if you're using it with an amp there's a slight audio delay due to the lag in video processing. Unless you've got an amp that has an audio delay correction on it then you'll notice some out of sync issues and you have to turn the audio down on the TVs or else you'll get echo effect due to the audio delay.
    If you are using an amp and external speakers there would be no need for the TV speakers to be audible anyway, would there? As you say most good amps should have a lipsync facility..
    I'm not convinced by smart TV's yet, but then I don't spend too much time in front of the TV. Any catchup/streaming is done via PC/Laptop.