• Options
    mungobrushmungobrush Posts: 9,332
    Forum Member
    "A week is a long time in politics"

Harold WIlson, Prime Minister, 1960 something
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    She'll upset the Brexiters as whatever she does will not be what they voted for (as they voted for many different things and she can't deliver multiple styles of Brexit)

She'll upset the Remainers by pushing ahead with Brexit. And she contributed to Leave winning by never controlling non EU immigration while she was at the Home Office.

The nhs is getting worse, which will upset virtually everyone.

Austerity will be a decade old by the next GE, with little to show for it.

The economy will under perform due to the uncertainly of Brexit.

Immigration may actually increase as people try to get here before A50 is triggered.

Her only hope is Labour keep fighting each other and not her.

Wishful thinking to be so certain.

We have an opposition lead by a man who for the first time ever cannot get a single one of his MPs to nominate him in the Parliamentarian awards and is making no effort to appeal to anyone who does not support his brand of left wing politics - socially left wing politics has not won a workable majority in this country for over 5 decades.

That is before we get to the new honest politics from him which turns out not to be as honest and manages to under mine the very point he is making. He manages to effectively snatch defeat and give it a huge bear hug from the jaws of victory.

As for the remainers - not with the Conservative Party which has largely been Euro-sceptic and anyway the country has spoken. Having won the referendum most are realistic enough that such a move needs a great degree of thought and will not be quick.

Consumer confidence has just made it's largest bounce back ever and the economy is growing - even faster than the likes of Germany.

Electoral Boundaries are going to work in the Conservatives favour.

A week is a long time in politics - 4 years an eternity, plenty of time for things to change but as things stand at the moment there is no hope of Labour looking like winning an election.
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We have an opposition lead by a man who for the first time ever cannot get a single one of his MPs to nominate him in the Parliamentarian awards and is making no effort to appeal to anyone who does not support his brand of left wing politics - socially left wing politics has not won a workable majority in this country for over 5 decades.

That is before we get to the new honest politics from him which turns out not to be as honest and manages to under mine the very point he is making. He manages to effectively snatch defeat and give it a huge bear hug from the jaws of victory.

As for the remainers - not with the Conservative Party which has largely been Euro-sceptic and anyway the country has spoken. Having won the referendum most are realistic enough that such a move needs a great degree of thought and will not be quick.

Consumer confidence has just made it's largest bounce back ever and the economy is growing - even faster than the likes of Germany.

A week is a long time in politics - 4 years an eternity, plenty of time for things to change but as things stand at the moment there is no hope of Labour looking like winning an election.

I never said Labour would win, I just predicted May will lose.

She hasn't proven she can campaign. She was invisible during the referendum and the leadership contest. The government will be very unpopular and she has no track record of winning. Her record at the Home Office was lack luster.

I have no idea who will be the opposition by 2020, but May is a loser.
  • Options
    Mr Oleo StrutMr Oleo Strut Posts: 15,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She'll upset the Brexiters as whatever she does will not be what they voted for (as they voted for many different things and she can't deliver multiple styles of Brexit)

She'll upset the Remainers by pushing ahead with Brexit. And she contributed to Leave winning by never controlling non EU immigration while she was at the Home Office.

The nhs is getting worse, which will upset virtually everyone.

Austerity will be a decade old by the next GE, with little to show for it.

The economy will under perform due to the uncertainly of Brexit.

Immigration may actually increase as people try to get here before A50 is triggered.

Her only hope is Labour keep fighting each other and not her.

I think you are right. Mrs May has inherited a truly poisoned chalice. Government inaction on Brexit will drift on until 2020 and the next General Election, which will be even more devisive than the referendum. Society is split now both vertically and horizontally and that will get worse as social pressures mount. When people realise that simple solutions to complex problems are not possible there will be real trouble as living costs rise, as they already are. It will take very steady leadership to steer us through this mess, and I don't think we have such people in politics at the moment. So you are right, Mrs May could be returning to her Swiss mountain paradise rather sooner than she expected.
  • Options
    The BrainThe Brain Posts: 1,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    But I didn't make a prediction, I made a statement of fact and I have already stated that May could lose.

But she wont be beaten by Corbyn and his bunch of numpties. That is a fact and not a prediction.

Labour can't even organise security for its own Conference which might now be cancelled.

It might be highly probable, but it's still not a fact. Still, if you are so confident that you cannot possibly lose, why not lay odds on Corbyn becoming the next PM on Betfair?
  • Options
    apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    Not sure swanning around Switzerland and then telling everyone else to holiday at home is the best tactic. Is May trying to counter Corbyn's floor-sitting antics?
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    I never said Labour would win, I just predicted May well lose.

So who do you think will win? At the moment her satisfaction figures are very good - your prediction is based on the number of problems that face the government - but that is what governments are there to deal with
    She hasn't proven she can campaign.

If that was the case she would not even be a
    Her record at the Home Office was lack luster.

Few come out of being a minister in the department with flying colours as it is a behemouth
    I have no idea who will be the opposition by 2020, but May is a loser.

If you have no idea who her opposition will be then you can really have no idea what will happen. As it currently stands the opposition is lack lustre and incompetent.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Brain wrote: »
    It might be highly probable, but it's still not a fact. Still, if you are so confident that you cannot possibly lose, why not lay odds on Corbyn becoming the next PM on Betfair?

Only idiots gamble.
  • Options
    Irritable OwlIrritable Owl Posts: 5,296
    Forum Member
    If she performs Brexit in a reasonable manner then she'll be home and dry in time for the next GE.
    The only real opposition if she messes up Brexit will be UKIP and then she'll be risking a hung parliament with Tories having the majority - not a situation she will want. UKIP would then co-operate only on the strict understanding that Brexit will happen in full, so she may as well do it now, make a success of it, and sweep to power in 2020.
    A split Labour party will make it even easier.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I agree that things are looking dire for Labour. Still no leadership decided and the possibility of cancelling their Conference due to their own incompetence. This sort of thing does not give the electorate confidence in Labour's efficiency or capability of running the country and their 28% in the polls confirms this.
  • Options
    allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If she performs Brexit in a reasonable manner then she'll be home and dry in time for the next GE.
    The only real opposition if she messes up Brexit will be UKIP and then she'll be risking a hung parliament with Tories having the majority - not a situation she will want. UKIP would then co-operate only on the strict understanding that Brexit will happen in full, so she may as well do it now, make a success of it, and sweep to power in 2020.

I knew it would have to be a Brexiter to make the right analysis and save me making a post.:)
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To who, I can't see Corbyn winning one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So who do you think will win? At the moment her satisfaction figures are very good - your prediction is based on the number of problems that face the government - but that is what governments are there to deal with

I don't know who she will be up against. Labour may have a new leader. Labour may split. UKIP might collapse. A lot can happen between now and the next election. I don't care about her satisfaction figures today, we are years from an election. I correctly predicted a Leave result when the polls were saying Remain was ahead.
    If that was the case she would not even be a
    Be a...?

Few come out of being a minister in the department with flying colours as it is a behemouth

It was her job to get immigration under control, and she achieved nothing. Not even on non-EU immigration that she had total control over. Her failure to get a grip of immigration probably lost the referendum for Remain (and her total invisibility during the campaign didn't help either).
    If you have no idea who her opposition will be then you can really have no idea what will happen. As it currently stands the opposition is lack lustre and incompetent.

I can speculate and predict as much as anyone. She has never done anything that gives me confidence she is a winner. By 2020 I propose that she will be deeply unpopular, just like Brown was when it came to his first GE.
  • Options
    Ash's ManAsh's Man Posts: 7,165
    Forum Member
    Definitely voting Corbyn until further notice. I made a thread to ask people why I should vote for Theresa May in light of her record and I still have no vision of the future, only people telling me I can't vote for Corbyn with nothing to back that up apart from his ideology on Nuclear weapons. This country's voting stances are a joke. Unless someone enters the race with an actual vision of the future that they can stand by and have a track record of fighting for, then I only have one person to vote for.
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Labour today. Who knows who or what her opposition will be in 2020.

A Tony Blair comeback?
  • Options
    B-29B-29 Posts: 2,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Considering the change of political landscape since 23rd June, making predictions now is pointless.

That's not a prediction , a box full of turds is more electable than the Labour party is!
  • Options
    mungobrushmungobrush Posts: 9,332
    Forum Member
    By 2020 I propose that she will be deeply unpopular, just like Brown was when it came to his first GE.

The difference being, of course, that Brown faced a credible opposition.
  • Options
    B-29B-29 Posts: 2,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you are right. Mrs May has inherited a truly poisoned chalice. Government inaction on Brexit will drift on until 2020 and the next General Election, which will be even more devisive than the referendum. Society is split now both vertically and horizontally and that will get worse as social pressures mount. When people realise that simple solutions to complex problems are not possible there will be real trouble as living costs rise, as they already are. It will take very steady leadership to steer us through this mess, and I don't think we have such people in politics at the moment. So you are right, Mrs May could be returning to her Swiss mountain paradise rather sooner than she expected.

I thought I voted to leave the EU , did you have a rigged ballot paper with multiple choice ??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    This time last year Cameron was PM, we hadn't had the result of the referendum and Corbyn had become Labour leader against he expectations of many.

So what the state of play will be in 2020 is anybody's guess.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There is no solution to Brexit that will keep everyone happy. There's many flavours of Brexit, and the Leave campaign was very clever in never actually picking which flavour they were proposing. Whatever May does, the majority of Brexit supporters will be unhappy, and Brexit supporters were only 52% of the votes. So best case, she can please half the people that wanted Brexit, or about a quarter of those that bother to vote.

And a lot of those that voted Leave will vote UKIP, so even less votes for May.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The government will be very unpopular and she has no track record of winning.
    Back in 1997, Tony Blair had no track record of winning.
    Her record at the Home Office was lack luster.
    It might have been (but that's a matter of opinion anyway), but she held the post longer than most (and only vacated the position after winning the leadership contest rather than being sacked), and after many before her had failed in a department once described as not fit for purpose and the political graveyard of many.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mungobrush wrote: »
    The difference being, of course, that Brown faced a credible opposition.

No one knows who will be May's opposition by 2020.
  • Options
    corfcorf Posts: 1,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    Only idiots gamble.

How can it be a gamble if its "fact"?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Back in 1997, Tony Blair had no track record of winning.

It might have been (but that's a matter of opinion anyway), but she held the post longer than most, and after many before her had failed in a department once described as not fit for purpose and the political graveyard of many.

He won a contested leadership election against Prescott and Beckett, unlike May.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He won a contested leadership election against Prescott and Beckett, unlike May.
    And he went on to win a GE, not once but three times. But I see your point (even if May would probably have had an overwhelming win against Leadsom)