Options

I'm worried that I'll never get a state pension

TheDCTheDC Posts: 1,023
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The age seems to be going up and up. Its 67 and people keep saying it will rise.

I'm in my 30s and have been paying Ni for almost 20 years.

If it does rise into 70s doubt I'll ever reach it.

Other family members have been able to never work, as women didn't work, and have a state pension for 20-30 years. I doubt I'll get more than one or two years and I've been paying Ni.

This all seems very unfair

Comments

• Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheDC wrote: »
    The age seems to be going up and up. Its 67 and people keep saying it will rise.

Other family members have been able to never work, as women didn't work, and have a state pension for 20-30 years. I doubt I'll get more than one or two years and I've been paying Ni.

It is but you can rest easy knowing your contributions are helping todays pensioners.:(
  • Options
    hoppyuppyhoppyuppy Posts: 10,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Life is unfair, soldier on. NI also pays towards the NHS, they will do their best to keep you alive and working.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [/B]

It is but you can rest easy knowing your contributions are helping todays pensioners.:(

They have never paid a penny in. Get indignant.:(
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not expecting the state pension to be worth much more than pocket money in the next 20-30 years so all of my financial planning is done on the basis of being self-sufficient.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hoppyuppy wrote: »

They have but the fund that pays out pensions is paid out of todays NI contributions IE there is no fund just a stream of revenue that comes from todays workforce,see how people have been short changed by government.>:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They have but the fund that pays out pensions is paid out of todays NI contributions IE there is no fund just a stream of revenue that comes from todays workforce,see how people have been short changed by government.>:(

Let todays pensioners starve then. Good call.:confused:
  • Options
    MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every developed country faces the same problem. I expect state pensions will be limited to the poorest, but then how do you stop people spending all their money before retirement age?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let todays pensioners starve then. Good call.:confused:

Nope let the government of the day fund pensions properly no.!

Let pensioners starve did i say that er nope.:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MartinP wrote: »
    Every developed country faces the same problem. I expect state pensions will be limited to the poorest, but then how do you stop people spending all their money before retirement age?

I do not expect state pensions to be limited to the poorest any time soon.

As annuity pensions are at the lowest ever,the state has to step in to provide a base level of income for the foreseeable future in my view.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope let the government of the day fund pensions properly no.!

Let pensioners starve did i say that er nope.:o

My employment funded my parents pensions, according to you. But it didn't, theirs did. My employment has funded my pension. Not hard to understand, is it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My employment funded my parents pensions, according to you. But it didn't, theirs did. My employment has funded my pension. Not hard to understand, is it?

No it did not the current workers NI contributions fund the workers before them pensions there is NO FUND not hard to understand well to some it is.

The entire system is a ponzi scheme look it up.;-)
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I note you were born in 1982, so the pension age for you is 68, not 67.

You can check it out here

I agree it is unfair, but is due to changing demographics, and increased life expectancy.

It's 67 for me (err, yay) ^_^

Of course, for many years, the state pension age for women was 60, and for men 65. At that time, with people not living as long as they do now, many men either died before they got to pension age, or only managed to draw it for a short time, before dying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^ you are both violently agreeing with each other

(Rich/Hoppy)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No it did not the current workers NI contributions fund the workers before them pensions there is NO FUND not hard to understand well to some it is.

The entire system is a ponzi scheme look it up.;-)

Not as smart as you think. There has to be a way to fund pensions. If you want to reveal your bestest one, please do.:p Please don't say the magic money tree.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

(Rich/Hoppy)

Yes i can see where you are coming from MartinP.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    I'm not expecting the state pension to be worth much more than pocket money in the next 20-30 years so all of my financial planning is done on the basis of being self-sufficient.

Way to go. The state pension should merely a handy supplement for that self sufficiency.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

(Rich/Hoppy)

I don't agree with anyone. "Offended smiley".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't agree with anyone. "Offended smiley".

City Airport is yours ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not as smart as you think. There has to be a way to fund pensions. If you want to reveal your bestest one, please do.:p Please don't say the magic money tree.

Thats George Osbourne with respect who upped the national debt somewhat in office.;-)

The fact you think your contributions fund your pension is knieve in the extreme,have you a solution i wonder.?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    City Airport is yours ;-)

I can't fly. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats George Osbourne with respect who upped the national debt somewhat in office.;-)

The fact you think your contributions fund your pension is knieve in the extreme,have you a solution i wonder.?

Actually, I do but not many would like it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, I do but not many would like it.

Lets have it then.:o.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lets have it then.:o.

OK, not polite but still.

Where do you think all of my tax contributions and National Insurance have gone?
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member

I'm sure you are joking with that statement - of course they have paid in and for longer than you have been. The first state pension was paid out in 1908 with the National Insurance Act being brought in by the Liberal Government in 1911 - so people have been paying into the pension for decades before you started work.

Thing is the money is not invested - meaning current payers are paying the pensions of current pensioners and there pension will paid by those who are paying NI. The exception being those who opt out when a proportion of their payments are invested on their behalf.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, not polite but still.

Where do you think all of my tax contributions and National Insurance have gone?

Not polite you had a solution i asked you for it still did not expect one.!;-)