Options

Help with 5.1 layout

Hi guys,

I have just dived into the world of surround sound with my first system; the JVC 5.1 TH-L1.

My room is not the ideal shape or size for this but i wanted to get the most out of my new TV and PS3.

I have uploaded a plan of my room here with the way i have set the speakers up temporarily. I have just received the speaker wall mounts i plan to use today so i'm looking for advice on the best layout before i start putting them up.

I have a basic understanding of what is best but can someone just clarify points such as the height of the speakers.

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're nearly there.

Sub looks OK.

The center speaker should ideally be under the screen and in the middle.

The front left/right speakers should be equal distance apart either side of the screen a little further forward than the center.

Surround right could do with moving a little nearer the door and surround left moving further down the wall so it's equal distance to the surround right from where you are sat.

Front speakers need towing in a little and the rears need to be angled so they are firing infront/across you.

Speaker height - Drivers on the front speakers should be at ear height when seated, surrounds about 2ft above ear level, also when seated.

Recommend you place the fronts in position first, the center is more critical as this pins the dialogue to the screen, you have a little movement in the fronts but these still supply information to what is happening on screen, the surrounds are a little bit more flexible, but they still need careful placement for the full effect, with some help experiment with a few different distances, heights and angles, just pick a surround track that has plenty of rear effects you'll soon know when you have found the best position for them.

Don't rush it, apart from the final calibration, delays speaker levels etc, positioning is the key to a good sounding system.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,815
    Forum Member
    I would try to get it symmetrical, by sticking them somewhere on the lines like this, assuming you always sit in the middle:

http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/336/speakerswi8.jpg