problem with a Toshiba DVD video recorder RDXV60

iceolaiceola Posts: 1,315
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have not touched anything,honest.

Using the Sky box I have the scart lead in the back of the Toshiba and then the other scart lead into the back of the telly.

Now what happens is there is no picture on the telly but blue a blue screen on the telly.

If I take the scart lead out from the Sky box and put it into the back of the telly its no problem as I get the television signal back.

Thoughts any one?

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you have the Sky box daisy chaining via the DVD recorder? Sky direct to TV works which suggests Sky box and at least one of the SCART leads works. But not when going via the DVD recorder. Which suggests one of several options.

SCART lead between DVD and TV is cream crackered.
    DVD recorder is cream crackered
    DVD is set to wrong input source
    TV is set to wrong input source
    SCART auto switching is not working via DVD (which might be associated with the above two)

First thing. Play a DVD disk in the recorder and see if that appears on the telly. That will prove the DVD can output something to the TV and that the SCART lead is working.

If you get nothing playing a disk then first test would be to plug the Sky box direct to the TV using the lead between DVD and TV. As you know the Sky box works on the other lead that will tell you if the DVD-TV lead is OK or not.

If the DVD-TV SCART lead is OK and you get nothing from playing a disk then that could mean the DVD recorder is faulty. But before chucking it out of the window check the video settings on the DVD output and the TV input. In particular make sure the DVD is set to send the auto switching signal to the TV, (may be called SCART control or something similar). If the TV defaults to some other source and doesn't get this signal then it won't switch over to SCART when you try to play a disk. It may also be that this might prevent the Sky box SCART switching signal getting through.

If you can play a disk and see it on the TV then check what input source the recorder is set to. Try manually selecting the SCART input the Sky box is on and see if that allows the Sky output to get through to the TV. Again could be a problem with SCART auto switching on the DVD recorder.

And do you leave the recorder on or put it into standby when not using it? Many devices will automatically loop their SCART sockets together in standby so perhaps that isn't happening any more? And of course you might be turning the recorder off completely which may well kill the loop through between the SCART sockets.
  • Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iceola wrote: »
    I have not touched anything,honest.

Using the Sky box I have the scart lead in the back of the Toshiba and then the other scart lead into the back of the telly.

Now what happens is there is no picture on the telly but blue a blue screen on the telly.

If I take the scart lead out from the Sky box and put it into the back of the telly its no problem as I get the television signal back.

Thoughts any one?

None of this makes much sense.

How many scart cables do you have in total? Reading through your post it suggests two - one from DVD recorder to Sky box (presumably for recording Sky to DVD) and one from Sky box to TV (presumably for watching Sky on TV)? This implies that it is a SD Sky or Sky+ box, not a Sky+ HD box. Correct?

If you take the scart lead out from the Sky box (which scart lead? the one to the TV or the one to the DVD recorder?) and put it into the TV then you get the TV signal back. What TV signal? Your TV signal shoudl be coming via the TV aerial connection and should work whether your Sky box and your DVD recorder are connected or not. Did you mean the TV signal, or did you mean the Sky signal (which you would only get if your Sky box was connected to your TV - so how disconnecting the Sky box from the TV gives you a Sky signal I have no idea).

Try explaining:-
    (1) What TV and what Sky box you have, and how the TV, the Sky box and the DVD recorder are all connected together. Also include details of TV aerial and HDMI sockets if these exist;

(2) What input have you selected to get a "blue screen" on the telly? RF (i.e. Freeview), Sky (presumably AV1) or DVD (presumably AV2)? And if AV1 or AV2, have you ensured that the Sky box or DVD recorder is actually switched on?

(3) If you do elect to just watch Freeview through the TV's own tuner, does this work okay? Regardless of whether the Sky box and DVD recorder are switched on or not?
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Make sure that the DVD recorder is set to RGB and especially also that the Sky box is set to RGB and SCART control. I think updates tend to reset the Sky output via SCART.
  • iceolaiceola Posts: 1,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All now sorted, many thanks for all your help.

I must have acidently pressed the AV1 AV2 AV3 buttons by mistake.

So I am now back on the correct button(AV2)

Thanks again