Scottie Mcclue

Comments

• littlepepperlittlepepper Posts: 1,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Look what you can do with a bit of cunning editing. (Sorry) :o

Oh there's no need to apologise really, First Tiger, but I wonder why the prospect scares you so much you need to negate it. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dpb wrote:
    Talking of Scottie possibly returning to the airwaves (BTW loving your work Tiger!) can I ask a question?

When Real Radio was launched in Scotland replacing Scot FM, I believe there were a lot of negative comments on boards like this from Scottie fans as the station didn’t include Scottie.

Can we expect more of the same if Talk 107 have the nerve to have a line-up that doesn't include Mr. Lamont?

Absolutely no idea...and what happened on other boards isn't really pertinent here but that wasn't why negative comments were made actually... but no doubt you'll be watching and waiting, dpb. ;)

Scottie was on 'Children In Need' 's Scottish output in 1996 btw...just thought I'd mention that.
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely no idea...and what happened on other boards isn't really pertinent here but that wasn't why negative comments were made actually... but no doubt you'll be watching and waiting, dpb. ;) <snip>

I think it is pertinent when most of the same kind of people (if not the same people) seem to be posting here.

It would be a shame to see it happen here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dpb wrote:
    I think it is pertinent when most of the same kind of people (if not the same people) seem to be posting here.

It would be a shame to see it happen here.

It's NOT pertinent, dpb, as there's a thread HERE on THIS SITE about Real radio and the question is answered there and whether you like the answer or not is up to you.

I do hope that's not another attempt to divert attention from my answer to your questions re. Colin on CentreSound , dpb ;)
    That would maybe suggest I was right and it would be a shame to see that happen...eh :rolleyes:
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's NOT pertinent, dpb, as there's a thread HERE on THIS SITE about Real radio and the question is answered there and whether you like the answer or not is up to you.

I do hope that's not another attempt to divert attention from my answer to your questions re. Colin on CentreSound , dpb ;)
    That would maybe suggest I was right and it would be a shame to see that happen...eh :rolleyes:

I don't understand? Divert what? Whom? :D

(Thank you for your answer on CentreSound. Another piece of information of something I've read and heard a lot about over the years. There's a lot of conflicting information on it but I always like to draw my own conclusions :D)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As it's the same people, talking about the same subject, I think it's entirely pertenant. I would like to share the words I wrote on a different thread about this very subject.
    For Real Radio to have 28% reach and beat Radio Scotland is truly amazing. I remember the boards at the time of the station's launch (as I'm sure you do, littlepepper!!!) and everyone predicted disaster. Well, not everyone, but you and your gang of friends.

You were proved entirely wrong. Utterly, utterly wrong. The station is one of th biggest successes known to UK Radio. For the Wales station to launch on 19% and for the Scotland station to grow from Scot FM's record figure and quadruple the listening hours is stunning. Utterly stunning.

You, and Tricia, Auntie, Wavejock and so on upset a lot of people back then. You were all incredibly cruel in your posts not just here, but on other forums as well. Much as I'll spar with you on here, I really hate the upset you created. Friends in GMG were in tears over the bilge you were posting. No-one deserves that. Not even your Scottie-loving troop. You should all be ashamed of yourselfs. Not forseeing Real's success is forgivable, the rest isn't.

There is some sense of irony that Real achieved all this without Colin, and that a couple of weeks after his appearance on Radio Scotland, Real announce they've beaten the BBC for the first time.

Should I cook up any humble pie, you're welcome to a slice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sausages wrote:
    As it's the same people, talking about the same subject, I think it's entirely pertenant. I would like to share the words I wrote on a different thread about this very subject.

Wavejock answered you there ,sausages, and did so adequately and that's that...don't drag up old stuff from elsewhere and put your own spin on it please to suit yourself when things aren't going the way you'd like as it is very probably against the ethos/rules/policy of this site.

Now then...www.scottie-mcclue.com
    That's a fine place to be....see...back on topic as the topic here isn't what others perceived to be happening elsewhere and it isn't about a station Scottie's not been on: another site exists for that so play fair... if you can that is as I'm well aware of a probable bias on the part of some :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sausages wrote:

Also , sausages, surely you can't be saying/suggesting it's unfair for Scottie supporters to voice positive opinions as the thread only exists to allow those who don't support him to voice their opinions re' that, unchallenged, and also 'have a go' at anyone who does support him? :confused:...most unfair that would be and a tad childish. :)
    I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here as I'm not one to judge other posters.

Just possess your souls in patience as you'll have the opportunity to talk about him before ye know it. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    I will happily donate £50 to next years Chilblains In Need Appeal if Littlepeppler (and alter-egos) refrain from posting the same old 'Big Man' sh*t until this time next year. It'll be blatantly obvious (dunno if you are aware HOW OBVIOUS) if some newbie accounts appear posting the same regurgitated spiel - which'll make the gesture null and void. Take it or leave it ...don't give me your little sob-story about having the right to post anywhere you like about 'Scottie McClue' - because this little self-promotion scam has been kicking around the net for years. Get the cheque-books out folks...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will happily donate £50 to next years Chilblains In Need Appeal if Littlepeppler (and alter-egos) refrain from posting the same old 'Big Man' sh*t until this time next year. It'll be blatantly obvious (dunno if you are aware HOW OBVIOUS) if some newbie accounts appear posting the same regurgitated spiel - which'll make the gesture null and void. Take it or leave it ...don't give me your little sob-story about having the right to post anywhere you like about 'Scottie McClue' - because this little self-promotion scam has been kicking around the net for years. Get the cheque-books out folks...

If sometime next year the same doubters/people who don't like others' disagreement with their prejudices are still not convinced of the Big Man's popularity I'll consider posting my own Christian name...donated already to Children in Need btw :) ...providing everyone else on here does the same just to prove there is no scam or self promotion here.

How dare you accuse me of such and I can assure you I haven't posted anything similar to what you describe here or anywhere else but that's not really the issue.

The only promotion here is of Scottie McClue... and I am not he or I'd be in the Guinness Book of Records...and that's because I'm a fan and the thread is named 'Scottie McClue' or maybe I'm wrong there too :confused: and those who don't like him are promoting him as much if not more than myself and a few others who aren't him either btw.
    Think about that. ;)
    Mind yer bunions as ye go,Numpty :D
  • Brad SpacemanBrad Spaceman Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    :D People never cease to amaze me.
    It's ok to have half-wits posting foul-mouthed rants about a much loved broadcaster but if some of his many admirers make a point, oh, there must be jiggery-pokery afoot.
    What rot :mad:

Look back at the debate on McClue's audience figures. However you interpret them, they're huge. Hardly surprising then that some of his listeners would be keen to post and praise the Big Man.

I find it hard to believe any of littlepeppler's posts would reduce someone to tears! Maybe of laughter now and again :D Oh, and someone did say LP had more face than the toon hall clock, but aliases? Some folk read too many conspiracy theories.

Anyway, checked out the Big Man's new website.
    What a belter.

A sign, as if we needed it, that the nation's favourite phone-in host is forging ahead into the 21st Century.

Go on www.scottie-mcclue.com
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aye, Brad, I find it hard to believe any of my posts would have anyone in tears either but it did conjure up a surreal vision.

However back to topic as I'm a stickler for that me it seems ;)
    Did Scottie set the Gold Standard for Phone- ins?

I don't want to sway anyone with my objective opinions but I think the figures speak for themselves. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ach I meant to give figures earlier as I know the score here with you sticklers for facts but not being obsessive I was just posting when I'd time and didn't have any to hand (figures I mean) ...or even in mind..aye surprised me too. :D

Anyway we're talking 118.000 per half hour in 1996 I believe which isn't bad for what was a morning phone-in and let's face it, that's maybe not the best time....mornings for phone-ins I mean not mornings in general or 1996 in particular...ye've to be really careful here to avoid causing confusion. ;)

To me, when other stations are happy to take pride in lesser figures for their morning shows this does suggest that Scottie McClue sets the Gold Standard for Phone-ins...Big Time :)
  • CayenneCayenne Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    suggest that Scottie McClue sets the Gold Standard for Phone-ins...Big Time :)

I'd say there's not just a suggestion. It's a fact.
    Within the industry, McClue is revered by those who seek to emulate him.

Gold Standard?
    Nobody's put forward the name of anyone better at using the phones.
  • Yagi BareYagi Bare Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    Cayenne wrote:
    Within the industry, McClue is revered by those who seek to emulate him.

Gold Standard?
    Nobody's put forward the name of anyone better at using the phones.
    So how come he's no longer on Magic and hasn't got another show at present ?

Surely, if he was so great wouldn't the stations be fighting over him or don't they want these millions of listeners ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yagi Bare wrote:
    So how come he's no longer on Magic and hasn't got another show at present ?

Surely, if he was so great wouldn't the stations be fighting over him or don't they want these millions of listeners ?

They may well be doing just that for all we know, Yagi. :)
    I don't think not being on Magic is a bad move really and everyone needs a wee rest to recharge batteries and regroup.
    He may well be biding his time until the right offer comes along as he can afford to be 'picky' but I'm sure there's something in the pipeline.

Nope,Cayenne, nobody has for obvious reasons imo: Scottie's won the battle. :D and folks like to give credit where it's due. :)
    Forum Member
    He may well be biding his time until the right offer comes along as he can afford to be 'picky'.

Scottie's won the battle. :D and folks like to give credit where it's due. :)

Spot on.
    Lovely to see the bitter lemons fade away and recognise McClue as the nation's number one.
    Surprise perhaps that one or two of the big broadcasters - not folk who had a bash like Wee Fat Boab or Nick Abbot - like Whale or Stannage weren't mentioned, but a great compliment to the Big Man.

Of course he's picky, he's just had a show on the Beeb and the big stations need to prepare for the arrival of such a legend.

Everyone keep their ears alert.
  • Phillip SwiftPhillip Swift Posts: 2,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot on.
    Lovely to see the bitter lemons fade away and recognise

Really where???

I think perhaps a few have realised the damage it could do to you, weepepper and your mates/alter egos/whatever once you realise the truth about Scottie, he's a bloke who DID a good radio show the same as many others on the radio.

I wouldn't want to be responsible for that kind of psycological damage to another human. It would be like telling a small child that there's no Santa and think of the distress that would cause the child. Its much better to just let you realise it on your own which in time you will.
    Forum Member
    Of course he's picky, he's just had a show on the Beeb and the big stations need to prepare for the arrival of such a legend.
    Perhaps you are right, but doing a one off week on Radio Scotland with a co-host seems to be a departure from his normal format.

Do you really believe that he's off the air now because all these big stations are preparing for a legend ? If I ran a station and a legend was available I'd have him on the air ASAP.
    Forum Member
    Yagi Bare wrote:
    If I ran a station and a legend was available I'd have him on the air ASAP.

It's nice to read your vote of confidence in Scottie after so many detractors have tried to brow-beat some of the contributors to this thread.

I take it, however, that you don't run a station?

AND to Pip Swift, I'm sure littlepeeper can speak for her/himself but if you really think we've heard the last of Scottie McClue then you've just settled your posterior in cloudcookooland. :D
  • Spikey2Spikey2 Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    Of course all the stations are fighting over the doyenne of talk radio as we speak
    All the radio bosses in the country are feverishly trying to offer
    Scottie McClue their most lucrative offers to date
    When you are the mighty goliath of uk broadcasting and you are summoned to boost a station like Radio Scotland for a week it can be pretty exhausting stuff so lets forgive the Big Man for taking some time out to recoup
    Those highly acclaimed broadcasts on the BBC are still the talk of bus stops pubs and bakeries all these weeks later
    Perhaps he is letting the excitement of those shows die down before he launches himself back into the limelight
    Forum Member
    It's nice to read your vote of confidence in Scottie after so many detractors have tried to brow-beat some of the contributors to this thread.
    I said "if a legend were available" Since I don't believe that Scottie McClue is a legend, then that probably explains why he's not on the air. :rolleyes:
  • R300R300 Posts: 2,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spikey2 wrote:
    Of course all the stations are fighting over the doyenne of talk radio as we speak
    All the radio bosses in the country are feverishly trying to offer
    Scottie McClue their most lucrative offers to date...

Perhaps he is letting the excitement of those shows die down before he launches himself back into the limelight

Hello Spikey2,,,,,, the first part of your message seems to imply that you know for a fact what is happening in the industry, although the second part of your message seems to be more guess work than anything.

What is the truth about Scottie, is he out of radio by choice or has that choice been made for him by the lack of any offers of employment?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All I'll say at the moment...further edit as I said more than I meant but see if I get started talking about Scottie :D ... is that Scottie is a broadcaster whom I enjoy and if I find a thread dedicated to him then it's natural I'll contribute and this doesn't mean I'm suffering from psychological damage so no need to worry PS.
    The wireless is poorer for his not being on air at the moment but I look to the future and based on the past I have great hope.
    PS PS...I hope you're not suggesting Santa doesn't exist :eek: ....the very thought's made me think you're just out to spoil innocent fun and I'd hate to think that as I think it's great someone with such obvious lack of passion for Scottie comes on to care for us all : those who are passionate about him in positive or negative ways....Nurse... :D ...there's a man here who has no great interest in Scottie but is really keen about posting about him..just banter PS :)
    Oh...maybe ye're a wee fan with an alter ego? ;)
    Anyway it seems we all agree then that Scottie's set the Gold Standard in/for Phone Ins.

I liked Scott Chisholm but tho' informed and funny I missed the banter o' Scottie....wee EDIT as I missed a wee t there too...must be from Edinburgh.
    I enjoyed Tommy Boyd but at times he lost me with his extensive knowledge about things which weren't really about the topic but off at a tangent I felt.
    I heard James H. Reeve but felt he wore his political colours on his sleeve too much.
    I've listened to James Whale but I think he can be offensive without humour if callers don't bow down and worship...just my opinion.
    I've heard Nick Abbot on Real and I take as genuine that he was good on Virgin years ago but I didn't hear him there so judged as I heard and was disappointed.
    As for Wee Fat Boab...least said etc.

But I'm not insecure about or threatened by the names of other Phone In Presenters so I hope ye see this as what it is:a genuine and fair and non obsessive post.
    :)
    I think, in my opinion and with my ego which is bigger than it was, that Scottie's the winner and others have been off the airwaves for a time yet that doesn't detract from their accomplishments or support in the ears of their supporters so why should that matter re. Scottie supporters :confused: ..oops...mentioned Scottie there...ach it's okay as it's a thread dedicated to him so that's a relief. ;)

Thoughts? :)
  • Spikey2Spikey2 Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    R300 wrote:
    What is the truth about Scottie, is he out of radio by choice or has that choice been made for him by the lack of any offers of employment?

Sorry lovey he is not out of radio at the moment
    When you are a celebrity of McClue's magnitude you need to take some time out and he is currently sifting through the offers of work at the moment and carefully considering his next move like an expert chess player

Sorry you got that a bit wrong there
This discussion has been closed.