Options

*I-pod help*

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 851
Forum Member
✭✭
I actually want to cry. I'm so frustrated with this stupid machine!
My ipod hasnt been played for about a month, but its been in my room and whatnot, so its not like its been exposed to rain or cold or whatnot... I started to play it tonight, and it froze when I went to skip tracks...I went to the apple website, which told me how to reset it, but it didnt work...then I followed all the other instructions, but all I've been able to gather so far is tht my ipod is not detected on my computer or itunes...I ran the diagnostics thing on Itunes, but it cant find my ipod - its still stuck on the frozen screen, and wont do anything - can anyone help?
PS - Apple website is rubbish!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wanna lend a sledgehammer?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Two, if you've got them!
    I hate technology, I'm your typical stereotype!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How long you had the Ipod? Is the warranty still valid?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nah, I bought it from ebay (I know, bad idea, but at the time I couldnt afford a new one!), and checking the serial number, it looks as though it was made in 2004, so I'm guessing no warranty!
  • Options
    RubusRooRubusRoo Posts: 10,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kezby_2k wrote:
    I actually want to cry. I'm so frustrated with this stupid machine!
    My ipod hasnt been played for about a month, but its been in my room and whatnot, so its not like its been exposed to rain or cold or whatnot... I started to play it tonight, and it froze when I went to skip tracks...I went to the apple website, which told me how to reset it, but it didnt work...then I followed all the other instructions, but all I've been able to gather so far is tht my ipod is not detected on my computer or itunes...I ran the diagnostics thing on Itunes, but it cant find my ipod - its still stuck on the frozen screen, and wont do anything - can anyone help?
    PS - Apple website is rubbish!

what other devices have you got plugged into your usb ports? have you installed new any new software since last docking your ipid to your pc?

does itunes load up when you plug your ipod in?

i'd make a post on the apple support forums & wait for a reply there if it were me :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Itunes doesnt load up, and its been a while (we're talking months) since I last connected it...the only other thing connected via usb is the wireless keyboard/mouse, and I posted on here first coz I wanted to know if I was making a silly mistake and someone on here would respond quickly! I'll try the apple forums tomorrow!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try this

Hold the Menu and the center button at the same time for about 10 seconds then see if it works.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If iTunes won't open then it sounds like it's not just your iPod that has problems.
  • Options
    andybno1andybno1 Posts: 6,142
    Forum Member
    best suggestion here uninstall itunes reinstall it then get the ipod updater http://a1408.g.akamai.net/7/1408/9955/20060110/akamai.info.apple.com/iPod/ww/win/061-2288.20060110.UdtPD/iPodSetup.exe plugin ipod then run this program and chooser restore to wipe ipod and see if this helps
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moisie wrote:
    If iTunes won't open then it sounds like it's not just your iPod that has problems.

Sorry, thats my fault. I meant Itunes doesnt load when I plug the ipod in!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andybno1 wrote:
    best suggestion here uninstall itunes reinstall it then get the ipod updater http://a1408.g.akamai.net/7/1408/9955/20060110/akamai.info.apple.com/iPod/ww/win/061-2288.20060110.UdtPD/iPodSetup.exe plugin ipod then run this program and chooser restore to wipe ipod and see if this helps

Heres where I'm gonna sound really stupid! How do I uninstall Itunes? I went to my start menu and it doesnt list that as an option like it normally does, then I opened itunes itself to see if it was under any menus, but its not, and I searched the help, and its not there! I've got an ipod updater, but it says it no longer works and I should use itunes instead!

Also, this morning when I looked at it, it had gone off, and if I press menu and select together, the apple sign comes up, and then goes off a bit later. If I press select and play together, I get different things...first a battery with an exclamation mark, then a sad ipod, then 'OK to disconnect', and now it seems to be a folder with an exclamation mark again - I've now got it plugged in to my computer, and its showing a battery with a lightning bolt, but its not actually charging!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And now, just as I finished typing all of that rubbish, my ipod flashed do not connect, and loaded up itunes, and is now updating it!
    Now I'm REALLY annoyed.
    But not as annoyed as I shall be if it doesnt work after all this!
  • Options
    andybno1andybno1 Posts: 6,142
    Forum Member
    the battery with lightening bolt should be the pod charging (in theory lol) to remove itunes start --> control panel --> add/remove programs find itunes click add/remove program then choose uninstall and then run setup again
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks very much! I disconnected it from itunes, and it seemed to play fine from then on! Now I'm trying to restore it!
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If an iPod does something weird it's always worth checking it's fully charged before taking a sledgehammer to it. Some models seem to be quite flaky when the battery's low.