Nightmare on Elm street 2 - Freddy's revenge

rasborasbo Posts: 1,606
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Will there be a remake of that? Its the oddest out the whole lot. Very homoerotic at times, and groups rather than individuals involved in the dreams. What did you think of it?

Comments

• kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    I love it.

It's hilarious in every single way, though Kruger is actually still kind of dark in part 2, compared to his comedic later outings.
  • Rincewind78Rincewind78 Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this film has so many gay references in it!!!

I hope there isn't a sequel to the remake. it was terrible.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this film has so many gay references in it!!!

I hope there isn't a sequel to the remake. it was terrible.

Hows that did i watch a different film to you? :D
  • MissDexterMissDexter Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep! Famously full of homoerotic subtext - intentional or not? Who knows?

The opening scene on the school bus is very effective, and the music score by Christopher Young is outstanding given that it was a "just a teen horror sequel".
  • wodder18wodder18 Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    Love Freddy's Revenge, it's by far my favourite Nightmare on Elm Street sequel, don't understand why most people seem to hate it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    with regards to the 'gay' aspect of the film. this was from wikipedia,

Film commentators often remark on the film's perceived homoerotic theme. The argument is that a subtext exists about Jesse's alleged repressed homosexuality (never clarified in the movie), with the major examples pointed to being the encounter he has with his gym teacher in a homosexual S&M leather bar, and his fleeing to a male friend's house after an aborted attempt of making out at his girlfriend's pool party.[3][4]

In a February 2010 interview with Attitude magazine, Robert Englund commented on this when asked whether he was aware about the camp, gay appeal of the series. He replied: "... the second Nightmare on Elm Street is obviously intended as a bisexual themed film. It was early '80s, pre-AIDS paranoia. Jesse's wrestling with whether to come out or not and his own sexual desires was manifested by Freddy. His friend is the object of his affection. That's all there in that film. We did it subtly but the casting of Mark Patton was intentional too, because Mark was out and had done Come Back to the Five and Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean."[5]

In an article written by Brent Hartinger for After Elton, it is stated that a "frequent debate in gay pop culture circles is this: Just how 'gay' was 1985's A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge (the first Elm Street sequel)? The imagery in the movie makes it seem unmistakably gay — but the filmmakers have all along denied that that was their intention." During his interview segment for the documentary Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy, screenwriter David Chaskin admitted that the homosexual themes were intentionally written into the script. The rest of the cast and crew stated that they were unaware of any such themes at the time they made the film, but that a series of creative decisions on the part of director Jack Sholder unintentionally brought Chaskin's themes to the forefront. In his interview, Sholder stated, "I simply didn't have the self-awareness to realize that any of this might be interpreted as gay", while "now-out actor" Mark Patton stated, "I don't think that [the character] Jesse was originally written as a gay character. I think it's something that happened along the line by serendipity."[6]
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ignoring all the sub-text and concentrating on the narrative, this was always my least favourite Nightmare film.

Simply because the whole idea took Freddy out of the "dream dimension" and into the real world, where he was just another nutter with knives.
    Surely the idea of Freddy possessing someone to cause physical harm to kids who aren't asleep, is flawed to start with anyway.

The only single thing that I liked about part 2, was the shot of Freddy, arms flung wide-open, flames behind him and intoning "You're all my Children now!".
    I think they even used that as the tagline.

TBH, I was glad when Nancy returned in part 3, and the stories returned to the dream mythology in earnest.

In fact, I liked all the nightmare films apart from Part 2, and Part 6 (Final Nightmare - Freddy's Dead).
    We'll ignore the remake and Freddy Vs Jason...

Interestingly enough, I picked up a DVD boxset of all the films1-7 at HMV for less than a tenner!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think 'Freddy's Revenge' is a bit underrated. While it's certainly not one of the best in the series, it is at least better than 5 and 6 in my opinion, yet it is often singled out as being the worst. It was the last Elm Street film where Freddy stuck to being scary rather than making bad jokes and the film is probably the darkest of the series. Having said that though, the pool scene is awful, and while the homoerotic scenes are very amusing, they are a little ridiculous at times - it is very hard to take Freddy seriously when he's whipping a naked teenager in the shower with a towel.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That scene where the main character and his mate are in the room, together, and Freddie emerges from inside the former and strangles the latter to death is my favourite, most powerful moment from any of the films.
  • 2pintsncrisps2pintsncrisps Posts: 2,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    love all the nightmare films (except the remake) and have the dvd boxset and I was planning on watching them again soon. I knew Mark Patton was gay and was regarded as the first male scream queen but I never thought his character in the film was gay but yes I noticed the other gay undertones of the film especially the gym teacher being whipped by towels before being murdered in the shower. I read that Wes Craven hated the pool party scenes because before then Freddy only killed people in their dreams. Should also note the scene in Jason goes to hell the final friday a man is strapped to a table and shaved with a straight razor on the crystal lake memories dvd they refer to that as the homoerotic shaving scene.