Is the old soap duopoly of EastEnders + Corrie winning the big awards over?

Comments

• Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My point is be outraged less.The soap awards were never a system designed to be a 100% pure way or tool to ensure the most deserving or worthy of merit won the awards.

Its a good booze up for the soapstars not much more!

Its not about which soap has most viewers but which soaps fans are most active and passionate.These type of awards by definition reward the most proactive fans.A winner is a winner cant see the reason for moaning about the awards system.The key is take them less seriously both fans and industry people.

I'm not outraged. I just think its a farce. Lets say over 2 million votes were casted for these awards. Hollyoaks only gets one million viewers an episode on average.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out what has happened and that's why it looks worthless.
  • MrJamesMrJames Posts: 8,127
    Forum Member
    I think it is, yes. As of last night, we have entered into a new era. It's not the Big 2 or the Big 3 anymore. It's the Big 4.
  • MandyXZMandyXZ Posts: 86,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not outraged. I just think its a farce. Lets say over 2 million votes were casted for these awards. Hollyoaks only gets one million viewers an episode on average.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out what has happened and that's why it looks worthless.

Realistically we don't know how many millions watch it. Only 5,000 households have the equipment.

Anyway, well done Hollyoaks, makes a nice change from the usual soaps winning it.
  • bananashakebananashake Posts: 2,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It needs to be put into prospective. Unless Hollyoaks start winning at other award shows only then can it be taken seriously. I think this win discredits the BSAs personally and does raise questions about mutli voting.

Hollyoaks never makes the short lists for the BAFTA or RTS awards. So the high brow award shows aren't taking it seriously.

Hollyoaks have been nominated for a BAFTA and have won RTS awards before so they are being taken seriously. Also, Hollyoaks won Best Soap at the DS End of Year Poll so it's not totally out the blue.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MandyXZ wrote: »
    Realistically we don't know how many millions watch it. Only 5,000 households have the equipment.

Anyway, well done Hollyoaks, makes a nice change from the usual soaps winning it.

BARB are the best system we have to go off. If it wasn't they wouldn't use it.
    Hollyoaks have been nominated for a BAFTA and have won RTS awards before so they are being taken seriously. Also, Hollyoaks won Best Soap at the DS End of Year Poll so it's not totally out the blue.

When was the last time Hollyoaks was nominated for a BAFTA? Pre 2006?
  • bananashakebananashake Posts: 2,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BARB are the best system we have to go off. If it wasn't they wouldn't use it.

When was the last time Hollyoaks was nominated for a BAFTA? Pre 2006?

Last time was 2004 admittedly, however, if TOWIE can win a BAFTA then are BAFTA really as 'high brow' as everyone thinks?

On a separate note, just wanted to clear this up as I can't remember who bought it up but Hollyoaks gets approximately 2 million viewers as E4 and C4 both get roughly 1 million viewers so the combined rating is 2 million. Overnights usually go up by 100k-300k depending.
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member

Where are the detailed voting stats your alluding to please?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

I agree.
    Forum Member
    MrJames wrote: »
    I think it is, yes. As of last night, we have entered into a new era. It's not the Big 2 or the Big 3 anymore. It's the Big 4.

Very wise:D

I geniunely think some folk are overreacting.Ive known of people multivoting from the same computer since around 2008 for ALL soaps
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Very wise:D

I geniunely think some folk are overreacting.Ive known of people multivoting from the same computer since around 2008 for ALL soaps

I agree.:D
    Forum Member

Lets say hollyoaks got 2m votes!Thats a hypothetical it could have won narrowly-back up your stats rather than wild talk!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where are the detailed voting stats your alluding to please?

What stats? if you mean how many voted it was Phillp Schofield who claimed three million votes had been cast during last years opening segment. I assume the same amount voted this year. Lets see if he tells us during tonight show.

So as you can see by comparing that amount of votes to Hollyoaks viewing figures it makes it implausible that this was a fair win.

Congrats to Hollyoaks fans for making it happen but lets not pretend it makes Hollyoaks a big player when it doesn't.
    Forum Member
    What stats? if you mean how many voted it was Phillp Schofield who claimed three million votes had been cast during last years opening segment. I assume the same amount voted this year. Lets see if he tells us during tonight show.

So as you can see by comparing that amount of votes to Hollyoaks viewing figures it makes it implausible that this was a fair win.

Congrats to Hollyoaks fans for making it happen but lets not pretend it makes Hollyoaks a big player when it doesn't.

Three million votes cast could mean each individual vote in each category.

Mathematically Hollyoaks could have won narrowly on 35% of the vote or less just as happens in politics.Why are you assuming it was a runaway win votewise?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Three million votes cast could mean each individual vote in each category.

Mathematically Hollyoaks could have won narrowly on 35% of the vote or less just as happens in politics.Why are you assuming it was a runaway win votewise?

I haven't assumed it was a runaway vote win :confused: It was probably very close between Corrie, EE and Hollyoaks. With HO winning by a very close margin. If it was a runaway result then foul play defo did happen.

The point is that Hollyoaks doesn't get 3 million viewers. So even if 3 million was for each individual category it would have needed at least 1 million votes to secure a win over EE and Corrie - because they have a bigger reach. What you are trying to say is that nearly all of Hollyoaks viewers actually voted. While not impossible its highly unlikely its entire audience did.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The real awards would be that at least the two 'main' soaps get the highest viewership
  • priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ratings doesn't count for how many people are watching per household, say you have five this could mean five votes already etc.

So much soap snobbery by some, I hope when their soaps win they don't complain when others criticize the win as a travesty.
    Multi voting is not exclusive to Oaks I'm sure other soap fans do it but won't admit it. Personally I'm a very happy that they've won, I never thought I would see it happen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    priscilla wrote: »
    The ratings doesn't count for how many people are watching per household, say you have five this could mean five votes already etc.

So much soap snobbery by some, I hope when their soaps win they don't complain when others criticize the win as a travesty.
    Multi voting is not exclusive to Oaks I'm sure other soap fans do it but won't admit it. Personally I'm a very happy that they've won, I never thought I would see it happen.

Everyone with a BARB box has to log in each time they watch a show. So if four people are in the room. Four people are logged along with their age/sex etc

No one is saying multiple voting is exclusive to Hollyoaks, they are just saying this win has highlighted how rife it is.

Valid point I would say.
  • priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone with a BARB box has to log in each time they watch a show. So if four people are in the room. Four people are logged along with their age/sex etc

No one is saying multiple voting is exclusive to Hollyoaks, they are just saying this win has highlighted how rife it is.

Valid point I would say.

Oh I didn't know that :)
    Forum Member
    I haven't assumed it was a runaway vote win :confused: It was probably very close between Corrie, EE and Hollyoaks. With HO winning by a very close margin. If it was a runaway result then foul play defo did happen.

The point is that Hollyoaks doesn't get 3 million viewers. So even if 3 million was for each individual category it would have needed at least 1 million votes to secure a win over EE and Corrie - because they have a bigger reach. What you are trying to say is that nearly all of Hollyoaks viewers actually voted. While not impossible its highly unlikely its entire audience did.

By 3 million votes he may mean all the individual votes in each category.Im not sure that 3m people vote in these awards tbh.
    Lets say it was 3 million voters.
    Was Doctors in Best Soap category?
    If it was 5 entrees in best soap lets say Doctors got 3%,Emmerdale 25% ,Coronation Street 25% EastEnders 21%,Hollyoaks 26%.Thats about 750,000 votes for Hollyoaks which gets over 1m if you take into account plus 1 and e4 and online viewing.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eastenders and Coronation St will always dominate these awards because they have a million more viewers than Emmerdale, which is definitely the third soap, and six million more than Hollyoaks, which mostly appeals to under 25s.
    In my day there was a big three, Coronation St, Crossroads and Dallas( OK it was American but it was massive in 1980), all of which attracted at least 16 million viewers. Emmerdale Farm had less than half this audience figure and only seemed to be watched by old people.
  • GabriellaGabriella Posts: 997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done to HO And Corrie. Bitter EE fans make sad reading.
  • barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    Gabriella wrote: »
    Well done to HO And Corrie. Bitter EE fans make sad reading.

I'm an Emmerdale fan actually, but there is something very wrong with the voting pattern with the BSAs if the soap that garners the fewest viewers gets best soap, the fact Corrie (personally I thought it was crap this year compared to Emmerdale) swept up the NTAs/BAFTAs and RTS and pretty much in minor award gigs like this sums up what the best soap is.
    Forum Member
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Eastenders and Coronation St will always dominate these awards because they have a million more viewers than Emmerdale, which is definitely the third soap, and six million more than Hollyoaks, which mostly appeals to under 25s.
    In my day there was a big three, Coronation St, Crossroads and Dallas( OK it was American but it was massive in 1980), all of which attracted at least 16 million viewers. Emmerdale Farm had less than half this audience figure and only seemed to be watched by old people.

Its about having more active passionate fans not more viewers.
  • barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    Its about having more active passionate fans not more viewers.

Creating fake email accounts and deleting caches and cookies off your web browser (very easy to do) so one can vote multiple times over isn't having a passionate fan base, its unofficial cheating in a way.
  • Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For years now we have had 2 big soaps arguably 3 and then Hollyoaks.

In terms of awards especially the big awards ie best soap the two big soaps Coronation Street and EastEnders have dominated.This has slowly been chipped away but to my mind Hollyoaks winning best soap takes us into a totally new scenario in terms of these soap awards.

Just as theres been talk in politics of the political duopoly or dominance of Labour and the tories being over first with the lib dem coalition and now UKIP upsetting all parties political strategies.
    I would say its now the same with the soap awards,the old duoploy dominance of Coronation Street and EastEnders is bust.

Everythings now up for grabs at these awards now.

We dont have to like it or respect why people vote the way they do but its the new era in my opinion.

A 4 soap system just like a 4 party political system?

There is not a 4 party political system. UKIP like the Greens in the 80s may gain some euro MPs but they will not gain any actual MPs this time next year. I don't think many people see any change to the two party uk politics.

Just as there is no end to the dominance of EE and CS as the two main soaps.