What defines the last two decades?

mintbromintbro Posts: 6,733
Forum Member
Just been watching a show about the 90's, it got me thinking that there's nothing really that defines the last decade and the current decade, it all feels a bit samely. 2005 could easily pass for 2015, yet the 60s-90s all had their own era.

Comments

• Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    9/11 and the 'war on terror' I would say. It certainly differentiates the 90s from the 2000s.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smart phones, social media, the way we watch TV, music industry, downloads etc..
  • Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Facebook
  • lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miley Cyrus.

Or rather *celebrity* culture in general, before they were gossip, now they are news.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mediocrity.
  • An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    smart phones, social media, the way we watch TV, music industry, downloads etc..

I would agree, especially the mobile phone. I started a job in 1994 and everyone wanted a mobile phone. It was a status symbol, only certain job roles and grades had them. To own one personally meant passing quite a stringent credit check. The phones were half the thickness of a brick still, cost over £200 and the calls cost a fortune. You could make and receive calls and that was about it.

I got my first company phone in 1996. It was still pretty chunky. there were no texts still but there were some basic games. Signal was all over the shop. Anywhere slightly remote was out of signal and frequently you would get a network busy signal. If you tried to make a call or text on say NYE it might be 12 hours before it arrived. I got my first phone I could text with a bit later.

Now look where we are. The phone is pretty well taking on the role of the PC, it gets on the net, takes pictures and video, you can buy coffee with it, measure your running times etc etc.

Bloody amazing when you think about it.
  • TARDIS BlueTARDIS Blue Posts: 10,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would agree, especially the mobile phone. I started a job in 1994 and everyone wanted a mobile phone. It was a status symbol, only certain job roles and grades had them. To own one personally meant passing quite a stringent credit check. The phones were half the thickness of a brick still, cost over £200 and the calls cost a fortune. You could make and receive calls and that was about it.

I got my first company phone in 1996. It was still pretty chunky. there were no texts still but there were some basic games. Signal was all over the shop. Anywhere slightly remote was out of signal and frequently you would get a network busy signal. If you tried to make a call or text on say NYE it might be 12 hours before it arrived. I got my first phone I could text with a bit later.

Now look where we are. The phone is pretty well taking on the role of the PC, it gets on the net, takes pictures and video, you can buy coffee with it, measure your running times etc etc.

Yes, I think smartphones are the main thing distinguishing 2015 from 2005.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    20 years ?
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sorry ........ Let's say, post Thatcherism ........... she radically changed things, and not for the better ........
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Entitlement
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,258
    Forum Member
    The Simpsons, Pokemon, Mario Bros. Facebook. The whole internet basically.
  • tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, I'd say the advances is technology and the fact that it is much more affordable and accessible to everyone. Also, sadly, the rise of people being "famous" for doing not a lot.
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    9/11 and the 'war on terror' I would say. It certainly differentiates the 90s from the 2000s.

Exactly what I was going to say. First thought on reading the title was terrorism and war.
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm still waiting for one that will drink the coffee for me :D
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    sorry ........ Let's say, post Thatcherism ........... she radically changed things, and not for the better ........

If we'd had Kinnnock from say, 87 onwards, we probably wouldn't have mobile phones and internet in the UK yet.
  • mintbromintbro Posts: 6,733
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »
    The Simpsons, Pokemon, Mario Bros. Facebook. The whole internet basically.

The Simpsons was the 90s
  • An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    If we'd had Kinnnock from say, 87 onwards, we probably wouldn't have mobile phones and internet in the UK yet.

There is possibly some truth in that. Thatcher's government opened up the Telco market to competition. In order to get new players in they segmented the country and put franchise areas up for bid by overseas providers.

The deal was if you want to provide cable TV in the region you are bidding for, you have to provide a phone service too. This lead to commercial alliances among US cable and US phone companies, companies that had been separate entities until then. They formed composite companies so they could enter the British market. The notion of bundled services was probably a direct consequence of this.

Until then the UK market was a BT only affair. They were very establishment and very reluctant to change. They had a total monopoly and if you wanted a phone you played to their rules. I worked in the emerging cable industry in the early 90s and BTs response to this commercial threat initially was to dig in and be even more traditional

When I asked BT to install a phone for me in 1991 the waiting time was 7 weeks and a new line install cost £140. Three years later the cable companies were offering a 4-7 day turn around in cabled areas with install of £50; usually waived on an offer. The retention response from BT to these cheaper upstarts. up until the late 90's was more or less - stick with us we are a safe pair of hands or the cable companies are cheaper but the service isn't there. They were very complacent.
  • BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,564
    Forum Member
    Remember that Billy Joel song that summed up the decades? Think it was called We Didn't Start the Fire. Maybe he could update that song for it finished in the 80s.
    If some kind soul could post a link for it I would be grateful for this phone is not letting me
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    Remember that Billy Joel song that summed up the decades? Think it was called We Didn't Start the Fire. Maybe he could update that song for it finished in the 80s.
    If some kind soul could post a link for it I would be grateful for this phone is not letting me
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFTLKWw542g
  • ritchie2ykritchie2yk Posts: 5,556
    Forum Member
    Social media, war on terror, reality television have defined the century so far
  • SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People walking around like their heads are about to roll off.
  • BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,564
    Forum Member
  • Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    The growth and fallout of 'social media' and everyone being offended on someone elses behalf.
  • KarlSomethingKarlSomething Posts: 3,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely the Internet. Even if the WWW was a thing in the 1990s, at the end of the decade the total share of users was under 5% of the world population (vs. over 40% today), and dial-up limited it to being mostly a lookup-service rather than something you could actively use whenever.
  • wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sense of entitlement
    Blame culture
    Lack of personal responsibility
    Apathy
    State dependency
    'I'm alright, Jack' selfishness
    Disintegration of community spirit
    Regression