Celebs who act nice in the spotlight but are horrible in person

Comments

• donna255donna255 Posts: 10,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have met Biggins. A Jo Malone store was opening in Belfast, and I was there(I was after the free champagne. Managed 2 glasses;-)), Biggins walked in. He was in a play in the Grand Opera House at the time, the assistants were over him like flies round sh*t. I was standing across the shop from him, he looked at me smiled and nodded. I did the same back.:D
  • goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I meet Joanna Lumley few years ago,she is lovely
  • STEWPOT01STEWPOT01 Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    I have been lucky to meet a few celebrities / musicians down the years. Two nicest where Les Dawson and Olivia Newton-John. Met them both after seeing a recording of
    Sounds Like Les Dawson at Yorkshire Television. he was a real gent and just as funny off screen. Olivia was really very sweet (and tiny, thought she was a lot taller than she really is).
    I think a lot also depends on what kind of day they are having too.
  • MissD1MissD1 Posts: 1,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I meet Joanna Lumley few years ago,she is lovely

Me too, about 15 years ago at my old media job. She was so nice and really beautiful, I was actually taken aback at how beautiful she was, even better in real life.
  • MissD1MissD1 Posts: 1,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marionette wrote: »
    Never met Melanie Sykes but have heard that as soon as the cameras stop rolling she snubs her guests.
    Can feel her in insincerity every time she is on TV so false

That is interesting that you say that. My friend's husband works on TV and apparently she has a reputation for being unpleasant; I was told she had a receptionist fired for not recognising her then-husband. I was surprised to hear she is not the warm Northern lass people think she is.

Apparently, Parkinson is a "real git" also.
    Forum Member
    MissD1 wrote: »
    That is interesting that you say that. My friend's husband works on TV and apparently she has a reputation for being unpleasant; I was told she had a receptionist fired for not recognising her then-husband. I was surprised to hear she is not the warm Northern lass people think she is.

Apparently, Parkinson is a "real git" also.

I met Parkinson at the cricket a good few years years ago. Totally ignorant git who kept trying to talk over a conversation I was having with someone else - came across a right attention seeking twonk.
  • Whoopie DooWhoopie Doo Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've heard stories about Lulu being a complete and utter diva.
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've heard stories about Lulu being a complete and utter diva.

Brendan Cole was asked on Loose Women a while back who was his worse dancing partner. They did not expect him to name names but he unequivocable - he named Lulu. He gave the impression she was very difficult.
  • catboy71catboy71 Posts: 471
    Forum Member
    I've heard a few nasty stories about Anne Diamond. I know someone that used to work on the Anne and Nick show about 20 years ago, and by all accounts she was an utter diva to work with and rude to the crew.
    Forum Member
    catboy71 wrote: »
    I've heard a few nasty stories about Anne Diamond. I know someone that used to work on the Anne and Nick show about 20 years ago, and by all accounts she was an utter diva to work with and rude to the crew.

I knew someone who's nephew worked there. What he said she needed was far from pleasant and added she was an extremely unlikeable poison dwarf.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kian Egan from Westlife
  • ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I always thought she was a right old cow until I heard about the non stop charity work she does for free. I think one of her kids was a cot death if I remember? It was a long time ago- changed my view of her entirely
  • BathshebaBathsheba Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    What are Biggins, Paul O'Grady & Dale Winton like in real life?

I get the impression that Paul O'Grady is lovely but I've never met him.

I met Sir Peter Ustinov who was lovely. I once met Bob Mortimer in a club (about 20 or more years ago) and he seemed a lot more reserved in real life.
    Forum Member
    Bathsheba wrote: »
    I get the impression that Paul O'Grady is lovely but I've never met him.

I met Sir Peter Ustinov who was lovely. I once met Bob Mortimer in a club (about 20 or more years ago) and he seemed a lot more reserved in real life.

Paul O'Grady is really nice. When he appeared in Bradford many years ago , he refused a courtesy car and used a local taxi firm. A friend of mine was operating at the time and afterwards he telephoned the office to thank them for the way he had been treated. She said he was absolutely lovely and so down to earth.
  • DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always thought she was a right old cow until I heard about the non stop charity work she does for free. I think one of her kids was a cot death if I remember? It was a long time ago- changed my view of her entirely

In the eighties parents were advised to put their babies lying on their front, it was thought it would reduce the number of cot deaths.

Sadly the experts were wrong and the number of cot deaths rose. Anne was instrumental in raising the media profile of the Back to Sleep campaign.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I remember when she had Denis Healey on her morning show in the 80s and suddenly blindsided him with a question about what he was doing using private healthcare as Labour man, asked with a snide smile, even though it was nothing to do with the interview. It just came across as rude point-scoring.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Anne Diamond may have been a bit of a diva in her heyday (I remember her being a bit full of herself) but life events have taken the edge off her. Her baby died, she was humiliated in a big way when her husband left, there was enormous coverage of her weight gain and accusations about her having a gastric band when she joined a celebrity weight loss tv programme. She has, rightly or wrongly, taken a lot of flak and seems a much humbler person these days. No doubt, too, that she has been an utterly devoted mum to her sons.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How was Nick?

He comes across as a really nice guy both on screen & Twitter!
  • BathshebaBathsheba Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    STEWPOT01 wrote: »
    Paul O'Grady is really nice. When he appeared in Bradford many years ago , he refused a courtesy car and used a local taxi firm. A friend of mine was operating at the time and afterwards he telephoned the office to thank them for the way he had been treated. She said he was absolutely lovely and so down to earth.

Thanks, that's really nice to hear. :)
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was recently told that Julie Walters is quite unpleasant in real life. I found this hard to believe, since she seems to be so nice, but that's what I was told. It has to be said this is third hand information - so it may not be completely reliable.

I think we can safety dismiss that one. Julie Walters is so famous and has been around so long we'd know by no if she was unpleasant. But the cow she played in "Pat and Margaret" (with Victoria Wood) I read was based on Miriam Stoppard, a big 80s TV star/agony aunt. Her public persona was one of a warm, caring mother type but the reality was the very opposite, it seems.
    Forum Member
    I think we can safety dismiss that one. Julie Walters is so famous and has been around so long we'd know by no if she was unpleasant. But the cow she played in "Pat and Margaret" (with Victoria Wood) I read was based on Miriam Stoppard, a big 80s TV star/agony aunt. Her public persona was one of a warm, caring mother type but the reality was the very opposite, it seems.

I agree with you, in fact I have heard that Julie Walters a very nice, wheras Stoppard is a bit of a know-it-all twit.

This was the clown who wrote women giving birth is relatively painless - >:(

She is a berk.
  • Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,148
    Forum Member
    STEWPOT01 wrote: »
    I agree with you, in fact I have heard that Julie Walters a very nice, wheras Stoppard is a bit of a know-it-all twit.

This was the clown who wrote women giving birth is relatively painless - >:(

She is a berk.

I was a receptionist at an International accountants 25 years ago. Julie was one of our clients and was a regular visitor. I can honestly say that she is one of the nicest, most down to earth, unspoiled celebrities that I have ever had the pleasure of meeting, and I have met quite a few.

I automatically called her Julie, not Miss Walters, which is what I would usually do with clients, but she was just so friendly that I felt that I could.

I was so overwhelmed when she first turned up that I did go bit over the top, telling her how much I loved all of her TV shows with Victoria Wood. She laughed and said, "Obviously a man of great taste!" :D

When I asked her of she would like a coffee she said, "No thanks, but I am dying for a cup of tea!" :)

Our company had placed some hideous paintings in reception, which all of us hated, and we were told to ask the clients what they thought of them. When I asked Julie for her opinion she said, "Well, it is just as well that I am not feeling depressed, because if I was, I would feel like cutting my throat if II sat here looking at them for too long". I was very pleased to pass on Julie's opinion to my boss, he was not amused. :p
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was a receptionist at an International accountants 25 years ago. Julie was one of our clients and was a regular visitor. I can honestly say that she is one of the nicest, most down to earth, unspoiled celebrities that I have ever had the pleasure of meeting, and I have met quite a few.

I automatically called her Julie, not Miss Walters, which is what I would usually do with clients, but she was just so friendly that I felt that I could.

I was so overwhelmed when she first turned up that I did go bit over the top, telling her how much I loved all of her TV shows with Victoria Wood. She laughed and said, "Obviously a man of great taste!" :D

When I asked her of she would like a coffee she said, "No thanks, but I am dying for a cup of tea!" :)

Our company had placed some hideous paintings in reception, which all of us hated, and we were told to ask the clients what they thought of them. When I asked Julie for her opinion she said, "Well, it is just as well that I am not feeling depressed, because if I was, I would feel like cutting my throat if II sat here looking at them for too long". I was very pleased to pass on Julie's opinion to my boss, he was not amused. :p

I love your stories Walter. You should write your memoirs.
    Forum Member

That is lovely to know, thanks for sharing :)
  • RoesiaRoesia Posts: 324
    Forum Member
    I love your stories Walter. You should write your memoirs.

I agree!

Walter, if you ever wrote a book I'd be quick to buy it. :)